Menu

Another left handed writer question

coastalfam

My little one who is learning to write, and is left handed, has a unique pencil grasp he prefers. When we are practicing writing, I make him use the tripod grasp, but if he is up to his own devices, he uses his other grasp, and he is actually much more controlled. I have been watching him, and I can see from a left handed writer's perspective that his unique grasp is functional. It helps him to see what he is writing, where the tripod grasp covers what he is writing, and he is essentially "flying blind". Us right handers get the benefit of immediately seeing what we are producing with our pen as we cross the paper. So, what is the consensus of forcing a left handed student to use the traditional tripod pencil grasp? Should I require that? Or is there benefit to him to using what is more comfortable, as long as he is able to make the usual progress toward neatness and control in his writing?