Menu

Am I really doing this right?

eksargent

OK...1st year homeschool. Ds9 and ds7 were in K and 3rd last year in ps. Here is what I am doing now that I am homeschooling.

Spelling Power...B and D. We just started and they love it. But they laugh at how easy it is.

Growing with Grammar...this is MY SHINING MOMENT as a homeschool mom. It's like clockwork! They love it...learn it...and it is SO easy for me.

Story of the World 1...I was nervous...but we LOVE it! We actually spend too much time on it. We love reading books about what we are learning about. We can't get enough about Egypt, the Nile, and mummies. These are kids that had NO CLUE where Egypt was...the Nile was a "river"...and history is something you can learn in elementary school!!!

Saxon math...I am teaching behind where my kids are...but we are getting into the habit of "homeschooling". So, this could be better. I feel bad that I am not challenging them. And I'm scared to skip ahead for fear they will miss something.

Science...uh...well...I just got Christian Kids Explore Biology. Week 3 and we are on Chapter 2. I am afraid of it. Science intimidates me. It is above our heads, but we are actually doing it...at lease once a week. But I don't feel like they are getting a good science foundation.

We read everyday...a victory. In ps my kids learned to HATE reading. So, to start off homeschooling...I let them read whatever they want. A book about waverunners, skateboards, the olympics...just put a book in front of your face and be happy!!! We will move into more important reading soon.

We have a great PE class. We are adding an art class on Monday. We listen to classical music daily...until dinner when we switch to jazz. We LOVE Bethovan's Wig!

They actually clean their room. We get along. We do devotionals everyday (almost). We never miss church now! We are happy.

I am still paranoid. Am I doing enough? Would they be better off in school? Am I smart enough and do I have it in me to pull this off for the next 10 years???

Oh, I ordered Writing With Ease workbook 1 and 2. We will add that when it comes.

I have moments when I say to myself...I am homeschooling! Thses kids are mine ALL the time. It's all on me. AM I INSANE?

I love this. I love them. I enjoy this. They enjoy it.

I hope to grow my confidence in my years ahead of homeschooling.

Thanks to all who have helped me along my way!

I love this. I love them. I enjoy this. They enjoy it.

This sentence says everything you need to know. Good job! It sounds like you are starting out exactly the right way. There is no need to push too hard, especially right now.

I wouldn't worry too much about science at this age. Anything is a bonus. You can get serious about science in Jr. and Sr. High.

You can let them go at their own speed in spelling. You may sail through the books until you get to the right level. Or you may decide to use something else in the future. Either way, it's a good start.

In math, you'll probably need to get up the nerve to skip problems and sections until they are actually challenged. But, again, it's great that they are happy.

You obviously can do this. And your kids are going to have a great education!

Emily,

You are doing GREAT! Your enthusiasm comes shining through and that is what will most inspire your children. You have made some excellent choices for the materials that you will use. As for the science, well... if you don't like it, you don't have to do it. You can change things up anytime you want to. But, I doubt if there are any of us that LOVE everything we use all the time. Sometimes, a curriculum will grow on you after a bit. You'll know soon enough. Don't worry about it! Try to fit some nature walks in. That will do alot to develop your children's love for biology.

Best wishes,

Donna T.

Science resources vary a lot. There is bound to be something out there that will inspire confidence. http://www.homeschoolreviews.com is a good place to cruise around. It's not exhaustive, but a good place to find ideas to come back here and ask about. People take different approaches to science too. What you need depends a lot on how you want to teach science, and what you think it should involve. Anyway, your kiddies are little so "playing" with science is perfectly ok. You can always move into methodical mode later on. If you want methodical now, you could try looking at Nebel's Building Foundations. I personally like having a plan. Very Capricornish of me.

:)

Rosie

You are doing great!

I wouldn't worry too much about science right now while your kids are young. Doing anything is great, so if the program you have is working, then that's great. As you start directing their reading more, perhaps a few living science books.

One thing I would suggest is to have them only do the assessments in Saxon until you get to a point where they don't know the material (less than 80% on the test) and start teaching from there. Saxon is so thorough, that it could make them hate math if it continues on for much longer below their level. There's lots of review in Saxon as well, so I don't think you'll have to worry about them missing anything.

Your concern for your boys shows you fit right in.:grouphug:

I am a linear thinker, so I made a list of the subjects, and then filled in what you are using:

Math - Saxon

English Language Arts - Handwriting -

Spelling - Spelling Power

Grammar - GWG

Composition - WWE

Reading - OPGTTR

Literature/Comprehension -

Latin -

Modern Foreign Language -

History - SOTW 1 Is that with the Activity Guide?

Science - Life - CKEB

Art - Class Is that a local homeschool co-op class?

Music - Listen to Classical and Jazz

PE - Class Is that a local homeschool co-op class?

Religious Practice - Devotionals at home and attend church

It helps me to write the subjects and then fill in the curriculum or activity, then I can see what isn't being addressed and make decisions about them.

The blanks I see are Handwriting, Latin for the older boy, maybe Typing for the older boy, and maybe a Modern Foreign Language if you are inclined to that. The Modern Foreign Language and Typing are very optional at this age in the WTM plan.

I have used Handwriting Without Tears with my boy and he just wrote a paper in gorgeous cursive last weekend. Some children struggle so much with handwriting the mom just decides to teach keyboarding as a substitute. Literature/Comprehension has entailed my son going on a kick of a certain author, and us discussing the stories and then novels he has read; the current favorite is Roald Dahl. For Latin there are now many choices, Minimus and Minimus Secundus, Song School Latin, Latin for Children, and others I am not familiar with.

I hope this helps you realize how much you ARE doing and where the holes are, and allows you to think clearly about the choices you have in front of you.:001_smile: