Menu

Classical Conversations Co-op

Jadde32

Does anyone here try classical conversations coop? Do you think it is very demanding for kids and for you? I went to visit and saw four year olds memorizing things they would never understand like communitative property multiplication and other facts that ate very abstract and beyond their understanding. I think memory work is valuable but I am just concerned about filling my young childs brain with facts just because she can memorize it. I like the science and fine arts projects with other children. I am afraid to pay for this and then be overwhelmed and add stress to our homeschool schedule. Let me know your thoughts and experience!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We have done CC for 3 years now.  If memorizing facts seems against your homeschool philosophy, then foundations would not be a good fit.  We enjoy CC and I have found the memorization of facts to be helpful as they get older.   Foundations can be a full curriculum on its own.  You need a phonics program for young children complete math program to add.   There are a lot of resources on the web to "fill" out the program too in terms of math and science activities.  Remember that with a co-op you will be gone for an entire morning too, so you have to take that into account in planning your week. :)

My 8 yo has been doing CC since he was 4 and listened in on his brother for two years before then. Yes at 4 it is just rote memorization, but when they get to those things in school things just click. At 7 he could multiply. We taught him the concept and he realized it was skip counting and that was that. When we read about things in history he recognizes them from the timeline or the history sentences etc.

Your child's age does impact their experience. We have done it for 3 years and one of my sons had just turned 4 when we started- it fit him. Next year we aren't going to do it again because my current 4 yo really wouldn't do well in that environment. For young kids it is rote and at times I question its real value. For 7 or 8 and above I think it has a fair amount of benefit. At CC coop you are just supposed to memorize but most moms I know add some context at home. Cycle 2 - next year's is my favorite cycle. It seemed to be the most put together. CC is neo classical which believes in kids just memorizing because they can and some really can and enjoy it - others not so much.

I will say that in our experience if your oldest child is 4 or 5 many of these families drop out because it really isn't very developmentally appropriate. If you have older kids participating it makes it easier for the littles.

Like most programs you have to determine if it fits your philosophy and personality.