Menu

I LOVE the look of MFW, but...

YsgolYGair

I have a couple of concerns and reservations, and I really appreciate anyone's thoughts on this.

First off, this looks like the coolest program that would fit my oldest perfectly, more than any other program I've seen. But I'm international, and the cost of shipping is SO astronomical, it's prohibitive. They want $134 for shipping, plus there will likely be a large customs fee (possibly equal to the shipping fee), on top of the program cost. This sickens me to my stomach, because in addition, I still need to buy math, three LA's programs for this one child, plus one foreign language (his request). 

Any suggestions on getting this cost down, especially from any internationals?? It's really looking impossible at this point.  :sad:

The second thing I'm concerned about is just having so much to do. The languages aren't going on the chopping block and neither is math. Do you think MFW would be doable - reasonably enjoyably doable - for a mature 2nd grader? Given that the languages won't go away, we have to find a way of incorporating history and science somehow, at some point, anyway.

I've asked him about what he wants in his education, and how he would prefer to be educated. His answer was, hands down, that he prefers to learn through reading. His next preference for his education was coloring / art / puzzles. And lastly, his least favourite was workbooks. We've been doing A Beka, so I'm really not surprised. 

Any amazing and wise thoughts out there? Or anyone know how to magically make the cost a LOT lower??  :bigear:

Are you able to buy the tm from mfw and then find the other books as ebooks? The tm will be considerably less the ship. Also can you buy the additional books through Amazon for less with shipping?

That's what I'm trying out now.. looking what I can get on amazon.co.uk. But I'm looking at the American history year (2nd grade), and finding American things on the UK site isn't always as easy, lol!

ETA: So far, it looks like Adventures would actually be cheaper if I just bought it and had it shipped to me. :( But ECC is looking promising doing it this way. Yay! It's still an unbelievable price, though... is it normal to spend this much on homeschool curriculum? I don't think I've spent nearly this much in the past, and I've bought a good amount considering he's only in first grade, lol!

Edited by YsgolYGair

We enjoyed the Adventures year, but didn't stay with MFW after that. We may go back for high school. I did find this, I don't know if it is what you are looking for, but maybe keeping an eye out on eBay, you may be able to find it. Hope it helps!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/My-Fathers-World-Adventures-in-U-S-History-/231898984981?hash=item35fe41b215:g:AzUAAOSwEK9W~rdo

We enjoyed the Adventures year, but didn't stay with MFW after that. We may go back for high school. I did find this, I don't know if it is what you are looking for, but maybe keeping an eye out on eBay, you may be able to find it. Hope it helps!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/My-Fathers-World-Adventures-in-U-S-History-/231898984981?hash=item35fe41b215:g:AzUAAOSwEK9W~rdo

Thanks for the idea! Especially as the year comes to an end, hopefully there will be a good number of listings...

Have you considered other programs where you can get the TM as an e-version and then get the books on kindle or Amazon? Some that come to mind are Build Your Library, Sonlight, History Odyssey, and I think Mystery of History, Story of the World and Layers of Learning would work as well. Just a thought. I know a lot of people end up not loving their "boxed" curriculum after they get started. I would hate to pay all those shipping costs unless I was certain. Best of luck to you, though. I hope you're able to find a good (and affordable) fit.