Menu

Changing curriculum

melaniehice

I have 2 kids, 6 & 3. I've been using Sonlight and Horizon math for 2 yrs, but does not fit my daughter's learning style (she's 6 and I'd say a kinesthetic learner). I'm thinking of changing to Konos (very activity based) for the main curriculum and I've narrowed to 3 choices for math- Math U See, Singapore, or Shiller. Does anyone have any input on any of these? I would appreciate pros and cons for any of these, or any other suggestions for a wiggly, kinesthetic learner. Thanks!

Melanie

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Edited by melaniehice

I love the idea of Konos.  I have volume 1, but haven't had the time to plan it.  I say if you have time to plan it out, then go for it.  I got mine (1996 edition?) used from homeschool classifieds.  If I remember correctly, Konos may already offer an open and go curriculum. 

If you go with Singapore U.S. Edition, I would definitely get the Home Instructor's Guide with it.  This is where you'll find the kinesthetic part of the program. 

I don't know anything else about the other programs you mentioned.

Good luck and I hope you find something.

Have you looked at Right Start Math? It wouldn't fit for our family so I don't know much about it. However, a friend with a wiggly, squirmy little guy just purchased it for him after a lot of research. Maybe it would be worth your time to check it out?

• Like 1

I use Shiller. I love it! Let me know if you have questions.

Does the daily curriculum seem random, or is there logical sense to it? Right now our math is spiral, and I'm not a fan. I want more of a mastery learning. I'm still researching it and others. Thanks for your help!

Have you looked at Right Start Math? It wouldn't fit for our family so I don't know much about it. However, a friend with a wiggly, squirmy little guy just purchased it for him after a lot of research. Maybe it would be worth your time to check it out?

I'll look into it, thanks!

Does the daily curriculum seem random, or is there logical sense to it? Right now our math is spiral, and I'm not a fan. I want more of a mastery learning. I'm still researching it and others. Thanks for your help!

There is a logical sense to it. It is also mastery as you do 1/4 of the book, test, then only repeat the lessons that your child needs for mastery. Their logic is that repeating the lesson will create mastery and not doing the lesson in another way which can confuse a child. 

However in a given day you may do several subject areas in math. They are all at the same level, but they could be done. This is helpful for a child that doesn't do well sitting and having a LONG lesson that is all the same (like my son). I hope I explained that well. 

• Like 1

I really love RightStart for the early ages. It is a great foundation, and is game/manipulative/interaction based instruction, which might fit her well.

I don't have experience with Shiller, but it might be good for a kinesthetic learner too.

Singapore is a good program, but it's primarily workbook based. I don't think it would fit her learning preferences.

Math U See is not as strong, instruction wise, as either Singapore or RightStart.

My thoughts would be RightStart or Shiller.

• Like 1

I really love RightStart for the early ages. It is a great foundation, and is game/manipulative/interaction based instruction, which might fit her well.

I don't have experience with Shiller, but it might be good for a kinesthetic learner too.

Singapore is a good program, but it's primarily workbook based. I don't think it would fit her learning preferences.

Math U See is not as strong, instruction wise, as either Singapore or RightStart.

My thoughts would be RightStart or Shiller.

I've looked more into Right Start, and spoke with someone today who also uses it. She also said she loves it. Thanks for the suggestion! I'm starting to lean in that direction I think.