Menu

Do your husbands have a best friend outside your marriage?

mom31257

Husband's Best Friend Status  

164 members have voted

1. 1. Does your husband have a best friend outside your marriage?

• Yes, he has a best friend.
    • No, I am his best friend.
    • No, but he has several close friendships.
    • Other, please explain

My husband made a best friend when we moved to our current location. He said, "I haven't had a friend (meaning male) this close since college." Now that his friend is moving away, he's being very purposeful about nurturing other male friendships, something he never took seriously before. So I think he decided it was very valuable.

Emily

Interesting. We were just talking about this. He doesn't have any super close friendships outside of me. He has a *lot* of casual friendships through, especially through theater and he's friends with a lot of our homeschool parent friends too. He's basically okay with me being his best friend, though he sometimes thinks he should have another outside of me close friend.

Dh's best friend from college who lives in another city very suddenly stopped speaking to us several years ago and we have no idea why. That might have done a bit of a number on him regarding friendships. Sigh.

My husband tells me frequently that I'm his best friend.

That said, he's a big extrovert and has a lot of casual friends and acquaintances and the guys he works with he considers close friends. He works with a close knit group in what is kind of like a small start up, so they see each other a lot at work anyway and they get to spend a lot of time at work talking about ideas, and solving problems, which is fun for them and what they would do outside of work if they go together anyway. Dh and I get together with that group of guys from work and their wives from time to time, but we don't do a whole lot without each other. He meets a small group of close friends once a month for dinner and I go out to a movie or dinner with one of my friends at about the same frequency.

My dh has two guys he would consider best friends, were he to use that term.  They were friends before I met him, they were both at our wedding (one was his best man), and they both live far away. He only sees them every few years, at most.  He sort of keeps them in a bubble of time, enjoys catching up with them every now and then, and assuming that if they get together, they will talk about the same old things and do the same old things.  Well, they must think the same of him, because that's exactly what they do.

Since we've been married, he has had work buddies, but he never hangs out with them outside of work.  He shares a hangar with a fellow pilot, and they go eat lunch on weekends when they're both hanging out doing airplane stuff, but never do anything else together.

That's it.  No friends, and totally okay with it.

I voted other. DH just isn't that into people. He's introverted and very low maintenance socially. He enjoys his own company and is very comfortable with it. He works from home and only goes to the office once every week or two. He works with his brother, and they get along really well, but neither goes out of his way to spend time with other people or seek out friends. I think I bring enough people into the house that DH never really feels the need to add to that. His limited pool of friends doesn't seem to be something he really thinks about and he doesn't feel compelled to collect more.