Menu

French for motivated 11yr old

I am looking for a French program for my 11 yr old to do independently.

We have covered a very little of French. I had begun teaching my girls french altogether, but those lessons just haven't been happening much lately. My oldest daughter is very keen to learn French and I don't want to hold her back. I still plan on doing French altogether when we can, but am thinking that I would like a program for my oldest to work on independently.

The options I have looked at are:

* First Start French from MP

* Galore Park's So You Really Want to Learn French?

* French for Children by CAP - too expensive to have posted over here

Is there another program I have not mentioned here that could suit us?

Do either of these programs sound like they would suit us?

My motivated 11-year old is doing CAP French for Children next year (hopefully A & B). She has had a conversational class 1x/per week with a local native speaker this year and has been using Duolingo daily. We'll move on to WTMA online French 1 the following year, I think.

Not sure how much this will help but I will share what dd has done for French.

A bit of background....Latin and German were supposed to be our languages. Dh id fluent in German while I had a couple of years of high school French 30 years ago. We used MP for Latin starting with Prima.

Dd wanted to learn a bit of French for holidays because we live in England. Also all of her friends were taking gcse French. I knew I wasn't going to be able to teach French well as I was already coordinating two languages I didn't speak. I think she was roughly 13 at the time. I ordered MP French when I had the opportunity and was happy with the layout. Very similar to their Latin so I felt it would get done at least. Dd did look at Galore Park at some point but decided to stick with MP. She enjoyed it and did it independently. :) We moved on to Practice Makes Perfect books (some libraries have them). She also started doing Duolingo intensely a couple of years ago. Works with the immersion groups etc.

Her French is good. Appears to exceed her friends in the sense that when in France she is able to converse in French and receives her replys in French always. Frequently people visit France to practice their French and return home frustrated because the French practiced English on them. She can take museum tours etc in French and do OK. She has done the SAT 2 Subject exam and received a score of over 700. Also received 2 years of college credit via CLEP. The AP is not available to her neither is the A level.

Personally I think MP French is a good place to start your daughter working independently. The layout and expectations are clear. I think some sample pages are available somewhere on the internet. Just a fun note, the author was a boardie here years ago. I haven't seen her on the boards since I first joined. I remember being really excited when I figured out who she was!

• Like 1

My motivated 11-year old is doing CAP French for Children next year (hopefully A & B). She has had a conversational class 1x/per week with a local native speaker this year and has been using Duolingo daily. We'll move on to WTMA online French 1 the following year, I think.

Thanks :) Yes i forgot to mention that she already uses Duolingo daily too.

What is WTMA?

Not sure how much this will help but I will share what dd has done for French.

A bit of background....Latin and German were supposed to be our languages. Dh id fluent in German while I had a couple of years of high school French 30 years ago. We used MP for Latin starting with Prima.

Dd wanted to learn a bit of French for holidays because we live in England. Also all of her friends were taking gcse French. I knew I wasn't going to be able to teach French well as I was already coordinating two languages I didn't speak. I think she was roughly 13 at the time. I ordered MP French when I had the opportunity and was happy with the layout. Very similar to their Latin so I felt it would get done at least. Dd did look at Galore Park at some point but decided to stick with MP. She enjoyed it and did it independently. :) We moved on to Practice Makes Perfect books (some libraries have them). She also started doing Duolingo intensely a couple of years ago. Works with the immersion groups etc.

Her French is good. Appears to exceed her friends in the sense that when in France she is able to converse in French and receives her replys in French always. Frequently people visit France to practice their French and return home frustrated because the French practiced English on them. She can take museum tours etc in French and do OK. She has done the SAT 2 Subject exam and received a score of over 700. Also received 2 years of college credit via CLEP. The AP is not available to her neither is the A level.

Personally I think MP French is a good place to start your daughter working independently. The layout and expectations are clear. I think some sample pages are available somewhere on the internet. Just a fun note, the author was a boardie here years ago. I haven't seen her on the boards since I first joined. I remember being really excited when I figured out who she was!

My DD really wants to learn German, I had told her a little while ago that she could after we had spent a couple of years on French and Latin (since we had already started both of those).

Thank you for sharing your experience, it really helps to see the path others have followed.

I had actually shown my DD the samples from MP and SYRWTL French, and she said the later looked more fun. But upon a little research, it appears that SYRWTL French audio is not the best. And MP is actually half the cost! Thinking I would rather MP for those two reasons. But at the same time, I want a program that she will find fun and will not be a drag to get done.

I wonder if these two programs cover the same, or if one could be used following or in conjunction with the other? 

My DD really wants to learn German, I had told her a little while ago that she could after we had spent a couple of years on French and Latin (since we had already started both of those).

Thank you for sharing your experience, it really helps to see the path others have followed.

I had actually shown my DD the samples from MP and SYRWTL French, and she said the later looked more fun. But upon a little research, it appears that SYRWTL French audio is not the best. And MP is actually half the cost! Thinking I would rather MP for those two reasons. But at the same time, I want a program that she will find fun and will not be a drag to get done.

I wonder if these two programs cover the same, or if one could be used following or in conjunction with the other?

I will talk to dd but wondering how far your dd is in Duolingo. Our MP is packed away so will be extremely hard to get to but if she is very far along her tree MP might not be the best choice. I want to get dd's opinion before I comment further.

She is up to Present 1.

I talked to Dd. She thinks the MP program is a good place to start. She thinks she should keep doing Duolingo. I asked her about the pronunciation on the cd and she remembers it as fine. She does recommend watching some French cartoons on Youtube as a supplement, some apparently have subtitles. :)

• Like 1

I talked to Dd. She thinks the MP program is a good place to start. She thinks she should keep doing Duolingo. I asked her about the pronunciation on the cd and she remembers it as fine. She does recommend watching some French cartoons on Youtube as a supplement, some apparently have subtitles. :)

Thanks so much for your thoughtfulness in helping me choose the best program for my DD. :)

• Like 1