Menu

Question about the New York city area airports - please!

Danestress

Four of us are flying to New York. We will rent a car and drive to West Point for two night, leaving one son there.

Then three of us will drive back and spend two nights in the NYC area to see some NYC stuff before flying home. So of the airports near NYC is one easier to get out of on our way to West Point? Not sure what all I should be considering, and just looking at a map, it's not clear which we should prefer. We can get direct flights to all of them for a reasonable price.

JFK, LaGuardia and White Plains/Westchester (airport code = HPN) would all be fine.  Newark is farther and the traffic near the bridge/tunnels adds a lot of time at a lot of times of day.  Do you want to have the car in NYC?  (It's not necessary and you'll pay for parking in both cost and hassle.)  I'd maybe look for a rental you can pick up at the airport, take to West Point, and then drop off somewhere on the Hudson train line (Dobbs Ferry, Hastings, etc) on your way down to NY... and just use trains/subways/cabs thereafter.

JFK, LaGuardia and White Plains/Westchester (airport code = HPN) would all be fine. Newark is farther and the traffic near the bridge/tunnels adds a lot of time at a lot of times of day. Do you want to have the car in NYC? (It's not necessary and you'll pay for parking in both cost and hassle.) I'd maybe look for a rental you can pick up at the airport, take to West Point, and then drop off somewhere on the Hudson train line (Dobbs Ferry, Hastings, etc) on your way down to NY... and just use trains/subways/cabs thereafter.

We definitely don't Want to drive or park in Manhattan! I guess I was thinking we would drop the car off at the airport and then use public transportation to stay at a hotel and visit the city. But if we can drop the car off somewhere more convenient that would be great.

• Like 1

We definitely don't Want to drive or park in Manhattan! I guess I was thinking we would drop the car off at the airport and then use public transportation to stay at a hotel and visit the city. But if we can drop the car off somewhere more convenient that would be great.

I don't know where you're coming from, but if it's served by JetBlue or particularly Delta, I'd look into flying open-jaw into Westchester (HPN) and out of LGA or JFK... picking up a drop-off in second location car at the airport, doing the WP gig, and then dropping off upon arrival in Manhattan (just drive in and drop off).  If that's expensive (I've never tried in NY though we do it all the time elsewhere), then drop off in one of the towns along the Hudson on the train line.  That would be most efficient in terms of time.

If it turns out expensive, then I'd do in/out of HPN or LaGuardia.  From HPN there's a (kind of expensive) bus, or you can get ferried over to the (cheaper, commuter) train station; from LaGuardia there are several transport options (no subway).