Menu

Give me some math suggestions, please

kentuckymom

I think I've settled on LA, history, and science for next year, but I still feel like I'm in uncharted territory as far as math goes. Squirrelboy's teacher this year isn't using a set curriculum. She's just using a variety of resources, most of which she seems to find online, to cover the common core skills for 5th grade. When I'm helping in his classroom during a math lecture (doing organizational things, nothing math related) he usually seems to get it. He answers questions and gets them right. When he's doing the homework he is often tripped up by the little details but he almost always understands the concept, sometimes better than I do.

So what kind of math program should I be looking for? I'm thinking maybe something spiral so he can have lots of practice with the little details, but I'm not sure. Yesterday I saw my cousin at a family gathering. She has successfully homeschooled four kids (so far)through 8th grade, all of whom have gone on to do really well in high school. She uses Saxon and highly recommends it. However, I've heard that it can be dull and is weak in teaching conceptual math skills. Might Saxon be the best way to go? Is there another program I should look at? Thanks for any advice you can give me!

There are tons of options.  I don't know much about Saxon, but it is generally well spoken of.  It gets the job done.  

We use and like Singapore.  Strong conceptual focus...nice depth...solid.  We also use Beast Academy for DS9 for enrichment.  We use Math Mammoth across the board when certain skills need more practice.  

DD10 uses MUS because it has a slow, incremental approach and she needs that.  

They all use Prodigy Math (free online) for spiral review of whatever math concepts I want them to review.  

We also throw in some Khan Academy from time to time...but not as much since we discovered Prodigy.  

As you can see...there are tons of options and a lot will depend on your student's needs.  Singapore might not be a good choice this late in the game, as it's conceptual approach is best learned if its taught from the beginning (IMO).  But Singapore's off-shoot Math In Focus might be a good fit.  

And Math Mammoth tends to be a go-to for folks that don't want to use Singapore, but want that solid conceptual approach.  

• Like 1

We are sold out on Saxon.  I agree that it is dry and not as strong as other programs on the conceptual, but I think the conceptual aspect is way overblown in importance with lower level math.  It is much more important that kids learn the facts.  The spiral on Saxon is excellent and our kids have a much better handle on their math facts than with Math U See (which we have dropped).

Edited by purduemeche

Ctc math for revisits

Teaching text books 7 th grade.use 2 grades up. Daily use

Marh mammoth reviews...very good

Cle math placement very good

Challeng word problem singapore math

Dreambox for concepts

Math detective for fun

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Probably Math Mammoth or Math in Focus would work well.  

You can download a ton of free samples for Math Mammoth from the website to get a feel for it.

Keep in mind, it's not just how your son learns, but how you teach.  So, you'll need to find a program that makes sense to you as the teacher, or is mostly self-teaching.

• Like 1