Menu

BJU users-should I choose online for English or Math?

Meadowlark

We have used BJU English up through 6th grade, and I think it's fairly simple and wouldn't need much teaching time from you. Your 9 year old could do it mostly independently. I would do the online math classes, or use something like TT or DIVE, for math, and do the English yourself.

I will say that the format of BJU English changes completely in 7th grade, and at that point you may need the online option. We switched to other programs at that point.

• Like 1

Yes, do the english online.  The teachers do a particularly good job with the english, bringing it alive.  Math is the one they're more likely to have questions about and need help with even with the videos, meaning it wouldn't save you as much time.

Do you know you can see samples of the classes online?  Definitely look at them.  I've used neither of those with videos, btw.  I've used some of the science and heritage studies online and did some of the english and math teaching it myself.  So that's just what I'm saying I would do, having taught both the english and math myself, that I would do the english with the videos.  But it would really depend on the student, the particular video that teacher for that grade level (whether my student liked them), etc.

Edited by OhElizabeth

Yes, do the english online.  The teachers do a particularly good job with the english, bringing it alive.  Math is the one they're more likely to have questions about and need help with even with the videos, meaning it wouldn't save you as much time.

Do you know you can see samples of the classes online?  Definitely look at them.  I've used neither of those with videos, btw.  I've used some of the science and heritage studies online and did some of the english and math teaching it myself.  So that's just what I'm saying I would do, having taught both the english and math myself, that I would do the english with the videos.  But it would really depend on the student, the particular video that teacher for that grade level (whether my student liked them), etc.

We did view the sample video. Honestly, my kids didn't like it which really surprised me since we are a minimal media family. I thought they'd eat it up but they got bored. I also thought it took a LONG time to get to the point, with a lot of "fluff that they didn't seem to care for. I looked at either English 3rd or 4th (can't remember) and the lesson seemed a bit outdated to me. 

I also wondered if I could perhaps teach both of them at the same time for some of the grammar lessons. I notice a lot of overlap in math with them being 1 year a part so I figure grammar would be the same way.

If I taught english, I'd do TT for math for sure. But then again, maybe do English too (or would that be too much time on the computer?). If there's anything I'd rather NOT teach, it's probably parts of speech! But if I could teach it to them together in a quick 15 minutes, I think I could handle that fine and save quite a bit of $ too.