Menu

how long does MM 4 or 5 take your child each day?

caedmyn

My DD does 2 pages in about 10-15 min most days. Sometimes I make her do 3-4 pages if it's really easy, but she's young, ahead of grade, and doesn't like math so I don't push.

Other DD also averages 2 pages a day but takes more like 30min or so. 

Both kids supplement with other stuff.

My 9 year old does 2 pages a day of MM4 and takes about 15-30 minutes from getting it out to finishing correcting mistakes. depending on how much work per page and how much she reads the instructions/rushed through. She does most of it independently while I work with my 6 year old, some of time variation will be waiting for correction help as well and getting away with more messing around before it is her turn or getting sucked into the audio book I play in the morning. 

She's a "pretty good at maths but not really interested so just wants to get maths over with asap and makes mistakes because of rushing through instructions" kind of kid. We specifically moved to MM4 this year from using MEP in previous years because we wanted to spend less time on maths and give my 9 year old more control of it - my 9 year old got very frustrated with not knowing how much work was to do daily [as MEP has lessons beyond the workbook], so we've set it at 1 page front and back -- this pushes her while still seeming doable and clear cut to her. 

...unless it has to do with estimations. Then all time guesses are off - I have no idea why, but that is her mathematical kryptonite. We just did Estimating in Multiplication a week or so ago and it was one of those days...

My nine-year-old does one lesson in MM4 per day. *I* think it should take her about half an hour, max, to get through even the longest lessons, and sometimes it does, but she's also perfectly content to sit at the table for two hours and spin out long adventures in her head, play with her fingers, etc., while she's "working."