Menu

What is wrong with People? Hit on the Highway!

TranquilMind

So we are heading to the huge, hub airport to make a flight and everyone else is driving like 80+ miles and hour.  It was as if we were standing still at 65 miles per hour.  Anyway, I'm fishing change out for the upcoming toll and the guy in a pick up truck in the next lane swerves and  HITS us.  He just slams into the side of our van - the side on which my teen is sitting - and then speeds up even faster and drives off!  What the what???

Grandma moment coming:  "In my day (shakes cane), if we hit someone or had any kind of accident on the road at all, we STOPPED and looked it over and exchanged info if necessary!"

He just flipping drove away at a high rate of speed.

I can't believe that.

So we got to the toll and into the lane beside him to pay.  I yelled, "HEY, YOU HIT OUR VAN!!" out the window and he took off. 

People are nuts today. 

I'm just grateful to God that it was only a four foot scrape and the vehicle was still running.  We made the flight and now I have a damaged van, but praise the Lord, we are ok.  

At least it is an old van, but he just removed a few thousand from its value.  Gee thanks, pal. 

• Like 1

You should have memorized his license plate and called the cops.  What a jerk.

Glad you are ok.

That was our first thought and the teen whipped out the cell phone to take photos and write it down.  Unfortunately, Mr. Jerk was pulling a small trailer that obscured his license plate (and it was not licensed, which is likely a violation too).  My teen could only get the first two letters.  Also he was driving so fast it was hard to see anything. 

• Like 1

Dh was hit on the highway by a runaway driver recently.  I strongly suspect he was either undocumented, driving without a license, or otherwise trying to avoid police interaction...

I'm sorry!  I hope he was ok.

I wish I could just remove everyone from the road who didn't meet my driving standards.  It would be easy travel for the rest of us.  ;)

• Like 4

That's weird.  Driving naked? 

Yes.  I was delivering newspapers at 5 in the morning.  I was 14.  He stopped to ask me for directions.  He was naked.

Later on the police officer told me that the guy had done this before.  And he was married with kids.

Unfortunately, I quit the route after that. 

Even a vague description of the car (black car pulling a trailer) plus the first two letters of the license, plus the direction he is heading, can be enough information for the police to catch a person.  Also, as someone else suggested, there are often cameras at toll booths these days.  

So glad no one was injured.  Sometimes aches don't appear til the next day though.

• Like 9

Even a vague description of the car (black car pulling a trailer) plus the first two letters of the license, plus the direction he is heading, can be enough information for the police to catch a person.  Also, as someone else suggested, there are often cameras at toll booths these days.  

So glad no one was injured.  Sometimes aches don't appear til the next day though.

Yes all of this...

Ask your teen to check for whiplash just in case. A lady hit my passenger side door driving while texting. The whole car vibrated, even my kids carseats at that time. All of us felt the seat belt tightening to a locked.

Hmm.  Seemed to be ok.  This is the one who left on a trip. 

Well, darn.  I guess we had enough then.  Older guy with white hair, royal blue pick-up with trailer.  And we got the first two letters.  I should have called.

We all seem fine. 

• Like 1

Ask your teen to check for whiplash just in case. A lady hit my passenger side door driving while texting. The whole car vibrated, even my kids carseats at that time. All of us felt the seat belt tightening to a locked.

Driving texters should be imprisoned. 

Seems fine a few days later.  The locks didn't tighten and I didn't even drop the change in my hand.  It was almost as if we heard it more than felt it. 

• Like 1

I am sorry this happened, and thankful nobody was injured and that you made your flight OK.  However, in the states I lived in most of my life (CA and TX)  I believe that someone only going 65, when everyone else was going 80, would have been ticketed, for very hazardous driving, if a police officer saw that. Even if the speed limit was 65.    Again, I am glad you were not injured and that you did not miss your flight! Check with your Insurance Agent, to see if you are covered by your Uninsured Motorist coverage, or, some other coverage.  

That was our first thought and the teen whipped out the cell phone to take photos and write it down.  Unfortunately, Mr. Jerk was pulling a small trailer that obscured his license plate (and it was not licensed, which is likely a violation too).  My teen could only get the first two letters.  Also he was driving so fast it was hard to see anything. 

another reason for him to avoid the police.

This isn't a "drivers these days" thing.  It is a hit and run.  It is the law in our state to pull over to exchange insurance information. 

Well, what I meant by that was that it was unfathomable to me that anyone would think it was ok to just fly off after hitting someone. 

I never heard of such a thing when I was growing up.  Now I do.  That's all I mean. 

I believe that someone only going 65, when everyone else was going 80, would have been ticketed, for very hazardous driving, if a police officer saw that. Even if the speed limit was 65.    

I don't believe that.  At all.

• Like 5

Oh my.  Please don't let this drop.  It's not too late to call the police and report this.  Just give them the info you have.  Hit and run is ILLEGAL, and everyone will THANK YOU if you cause this guy to receive his come-uppance.

This.  It is NOT too late to call and report it.  Call the police telling them everything you've told us and more if you have it.  Call your insurance agency and do the same.

Considering where it happened and he had to go through the toll afterward, they might be able to catch him.  If he has insurance, his should pay to repair your vehicle.  He should also end up with a ticket or two... or three.

Please call and report him.

• Like 2

I am sorry this happened, and thankful nobody was injured and that you made your flight OK.  However, in the states I lived in most of my life (CA and TX)  I believe that someone only going 65, when everyone else was going 80, would have been ticketed, for very hazardous driving, if a police officer saw that. Even if the speed limit was 65.    Again, I am glad you were not injured and that you did not miss your flight! Check with your Insurance Agent, to see if you are covered by your Uninsured Motorist coverage, or, some other coverage.  

No, you cannot be ticketed legitimately for driving the posted speed limit (it might have been 67 or so, but we do not exceed the speed limit by any appreciable amount).

That would get thrown right out. 

However, they ought to stop and ticket (or throw in jail) everyone going 80, especially those people who never heard of the three-second rule, and are driving on other people's bumpers.   Tailgaters should be permanently removed from the road.  They cause almost all of the accidents. 

• Like 5

This.  It is NOT too late to call and report it.  Call the police telling them everything you've told us and more if you have it.  Call your insurance agency and do the same.

Considering where it happened and he had to go through the toll afterward, they might be able to catch him.  If he has insurance, his should pay to repair your vehicle.  He should also end up with a ticket or two... or three.

Please call and report him.

Nope, not telling the insurance company.  It was only a long scrape on an old vehicle.  I would not benefit from doing this at all. 

He should be ticketed though, but there are now now witnesses except for the involved parties. 

Nope, not telling the insurance company.  It was only a long scrape on an old vehicle.  I would not benefit from doing this at all. 

He should be ticketed though, but there are now now witnesses except for the involved parties. 

They can match paint and scrapes from one vehicle to another.  You don't need witnesses.  Your description of what happened ought to help them find the car and driver (using video from the toll booth) and then forensics should be able to take over to prove it if he doesn't admit it.

Edited by creekland
  • Like 3

They can match paint and scrapes from one vehicle to another.  You don't need witnesses.  Your description of what happened ought to help them find the car and driver (using video from the toll booth) and then forensics should be able to take over to prove it if he doesn't admit it.

Seems like a lot of work for a van worth a couple grand at most.  ;)  But yeah, I don't want him to continue doing this to people. 

Ok, forget about your van, he needs to be off the road. The police will come to you and take all the information. They will do all the leg work. It's not too much trouble to get a dangerous drive off the road.

I feel like I'm in the twilight zone. Too much trouble to call the police over someone who could have caused serious injury or worse?

• Like 4

how awful. 

Last week I had a guy try to run me off the road.  He was illegally in the HOV lane behind me and I wasn't going fast enough, so he was right up on my tail (I was doing 65 in a 55).  I tapped on my breaks to let him know, "back off".  Well, that was enough to set him off.  Sheesh.  I had a car full of boys I was carpooling to school.  So glad we were all okay... I wish we'd had enough time to get his license plate, but it all happens to fast. 

My daughter had a hit and run last year.  She was parked.  Fortunately, someone did see it and got the license plate... the girl was driving on a suspended license.  She was in a lot of trouble... not that I think it would phase someone already driving illegally.

Yes, people are very pushy and crazy on the road.

Well, what I meant by that was that it was unfathomable to me that anyone would think it was ok to just fly off after hitting someone. 

I never heard of such a thing when I was growing up.  Now I do.  That's all I mean. 

someone with a record/no-insurance/on-probation-with-insurance/unlisenced-trailer/other is competely to be expected they'd take off.

My insurance company would require a police report on a hit and run incident as part of filing the insurance report. 

my mother's homeowners policy required a police report to cover the items stolen when she was burgled. . . it's the ONLY reason she filed one.  she went out and bougth a new tv before she even called the insurance co.

I see calling the police at this point but you could also get charged with leaving the scene of an accident. Ds almost got charged with it when he was rearended and the guy zipped away. Son went to work and then called when he got home to report it. Officer said he was being nice to not issue ds a ticket.

I see calling the police at this point but you could also get charged with leaving the scene of an accident. Ds almost got charged with it when he was rearended and the guy zipped away. Son went to work and then called when he got home to report it. Officer said he was being nice to not issue ds a ticket.

I'm not sure what else I could have done, with a plane to catch, and with the perp having already fled.  But I guess they could say we should have missed the (international) flight and called the police instead, even though the guy fled. 

I'm not sure what else I could have done, with a plane to catch, and with the perp having already fled.  But I guess they could say we should have missed the (international) flight and called the police instead, even though the guy fled. 

I probably would have done what you did......... I was just pointing out that reporting it later could cause other problems.

This happened to my DH. The guy who hit him filed a police report. My DH was charged and they came to arrest him. He was out of town at the time the police showed up. It was a nightmare. Eventually DH pled guilty to leaving the scene of an accident and it cost us 750 bucks. 500 of it was given to the guy who hit him. Yes we did get advice from a lawyer.

ETA. DH was entering the freeway during morning rush hour. The guy's lane ended and he wanted my husband's spot. My DH car had the mirror knocked loose, but it had been knocked off and glued before. It never occurred to my DH to report it as would anyone even believe him as his mirrow clearly had previous damage,

But the other hpguess had significant damage and we figure he knew he needed a police report to get it covered by insurance.

Always call the police!!

Edited by KatieinMich

This happened to my DH. The guy who hit him filed a police report. My DH was charged and they came to arrest him. He was out of town at the time the police showed up. It was a nightmare. Eventually DH pled guilty to leaving the scene of an accident and it cost us 750 bucks. 500 of it was given to the guy who hit him. Yes we did get advice from a lawyer.

Oh my goodness!   That is horrifying.  Gee, I hope the dude - who was 100% at fault, as we were merely driving forward in our own lane when he swerved over - doesn't do that! 

I'm hoping he thinks he just bumped us a little and got away with it.

How long after the accident did the police come?  Was it in your state or another state? 

It was mid-highway, and near no exits, as the nearest one was about a mile away.  I thought you were supposed to stop on the shoulder, but he speeded up and took off. 

So probably no video anywhere, but you never know...

Edited by TranquilMind

That's just crazy.

Yeah, I think we are just going to suffer this damage.  What goes around comes around.  At least the car still runs fine.