Menu

For those of us who aren't really "typical" moms

creekland

I guess I do not know exactly what 'typical' is (& this would surely vary from region to region?!). I do not know anyone who is like a magazine mom,but I also don't read the magazines.

I think most people are pretty quirky,really,once you get to know them!!!

• Like 1

8? You coddled that boy! When my oldest turned 7, I began buying those premeasured laundry detergent pods and told him it was time for him to do all his and his younger brother's laundry. :-)

7? 8? You are all softies! I taught my eldest to do laundry with the individual detergent pods at 5. He's been responsible for starting and switching 90% of the laundry ever since. I'm a very frugal person by nature, but I happily pay for the pods so that all I have to do is fold the clean clothes! My second son is learning the skill now as he approaches age 5.

I loudly celebrate every milestone our children hit. I just don't enjoy the toddler/preschool years (baby years are ok, but we're past that),

I'd rather read a book to my kids than play with them. To be perfectly honest, I'd rather read the book to myself. :-)

I really, really, really value homeschooling - for us.

I prefer to have few friends, but close friends. I like deep connections and the freedom to explore topics and be honest about struggles. I like it when my friends gently challenge me to be better, whether that's a better mother, educator, or anything else. I don't need people to agree with me (for instance, I'm atheist and my closest friend here is Mormon), but mutual respect is essential. Sometimes, I think that makes me an abnormal person.

Yeah, what is this typical mom of which people speak?

This is not actually a rhetorical question, despite appearances.

It probably is regional.  Of those I know typical moms wear make up, love shopping, discuss cooking/baking fairly often, bake things for their family fairly often, do housework regularly, care about fashion and hair styles, apply bandaids and kisses as needed, and have their kids involved in some sport or another.

The only bit I can relate to is when my kids were younger, they were in soccer.  Hubby coached most of their years.

That's all they know. And they can't return me for a different model.

Two of mine have told me over and over that they're glad they got my model.   :hurray:

Oldest might regret it.  He used to.  I'm not sure if he has since changed his mind or not.  :crying:

I hope my kids know what a shock it might be to bring my future daughters-in-law home to meet mother if they don't prepare them first.

The two who have told me they love their model have also been the ones who have told me they prep their girlfriends ahead of time.  :tongue_smilie:

• Like 1

7? 8? You are all softies! I taught my eldest to do laundry with the individual detergent pods at 5. He's been responsible for starting and switching 90% of the laundry ever since. I'm a very frugal person by nature, but I happily pay for the pods so that all I have to do is fold the clean clothes! My second son is learning the skill now as he approaches age 5.

Well, I did get my second child doing laundry when he was 5 or 6.  :lol:  I don't think I knew about the pods when my oldest was 5. 

I find myself trying not to roll my eyes when another mom proudly shares that her high schooler knows how to do laundry. It isn't hard work like it was for our grandmothers. With modern washers and those pods, even little kids can do it. Unless your family wears a lot of special fabrics most clothes can be tossed in on warm. We don't sort by color or use bleach or fabric softener. Kitchen laundry is done separately (mostly), but bath towels go in with clothes. Clothes are then dumped in the dryer using the auto dry/sensor setting. 

If some wants to wait to have their kids do laundry, that's fine. But I think many moms haven't really thought about how easy it is to do and thus it never occurs to them to turn the job over to their kids until late high school.

Those look like normal lunches packed into bento containers. My sorority sis posts photos that look like she's trying to get published in some professional foodie magazine like Bon Appetit or whatever.

Yeah those are total slacker bento lunches.  Where are the panda bear shaped hard boiled eggs and fruits carved into flowers? 

• Like 5

I have blue hair at the moment, tattoos, and I garden. And really, I think I'm a fairly typical mom.

Based on what I've read here, most of you are typical moms too, at least compared to my circle of IRL friends.

I'm sorry to burst your bubbles. :lol:

Ita!

I can't imagine where y'all live if the things you're listing are atypical.

I'm saddened that the vibe around some of these comments seems judgemental towards things deemed "typical".

"Always remember that you are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else" -Margaret Mead

• Like 11

There have been some comments that resonate with me, but I don't honestly know what the point of this thread is.  Some of the posts seem like Mommy Wars, part 5784.

I'm just me with children.

I don't chase my kids around with bandaids & kisses, but why would I not give them when appropriate?  So strange.

• Like 5

I haven't read everyone's responses.  But I have to say that I've always thought of myself as a very "mommy" kind of mom.  Meaning, I guess, that I love to baby my kids.  Probably more than is good for them.  But also, everyone's definition of a good mom isn't going to be the same.  To me babying may mean one thing, but not what it means to someone else.  

I guess one way in which I am not a typical mom is that I have had a job from day 1.  Not a full time traditional day job, but a job nonetheless.  Maybe that's why I baby them.  To make up for it.  

• Like 1

Everyone is strange in their own way. I start off meeting new people and thinking they're normal, and after a bit of time I find out just how odd they are. I made mistakes that way. I vouched for people that I didn't know well and later regretted it. I don't vouch anymore!

I think the June Cleaver type of mom is what we think of when we think "mom", but most people are not like her. Some people have elements of that in them, but many don't.

I do some "mom" things, but I hate doing them. I force myself to cook dinner every day, but I hate it. I might talk recipes, but it doesn't mean I'm happy about it. It's just another job that needs to be done. Someone might read a thread I've posted on about recipes and think I like cooking, but they would be off the mark.

• Like 2

I have blue hair at the moment, tattoos, and I garden. And really, I think I'm a fairly typical mom.

Based on what I've read here, most of you are typical moms too, at least compared to my circle of IRL friends. 

I'm sorry to burst your bubbles. :lol:  

LOL

I think the ship called Typical has sailed, when it comes to motherhood, and that's only a good thing. It's been said that there are a million ways to be a great mom, and really only a few ways to be a bad one. That's just true.

I do know a lot of of pinterest soccer moms. They are all quite young (compared to me) and can easily out-Stepford mid-century modern era housewives. Honestly, they bore me to tears with their studied sameness, and they have no conversation for anyone outside their group, but I'm glad they have each other.

At my age, it's more fun out here with the majority of people who are not all the same as each other. :p The fact that my college-aged son's girlfriend told him that she found me very intimidating at first because I'm "like, a hyper-intelligent Amish hippie" only bothered me a little.

• Like 8

I get that too.  Most of my girls' friends are surprised by me.  

1.  I talk to my kids AND their friends.  Like, a lot.

2.  I listen to crazy music.  Loudly.  In the car.  With windows down, in the church parking lot. :lol:  :coolgleamA:

3.  I play video games (this floors many a young man) and can talk quite animatedly about Fallout 4.  

4.  I joke around with the kids, their friends, whoever.  

5. Teen friends are pretty much assimilated into our family and become one of my "adopted" kids.  They know they could come to me if they needed something.  

6. I don't helicopter my girls' to death (which is very, very common in our circles).

7. I'm young compared to most of my girls' friends parents.  Some of the kids have siblings near my age.  

8.  I dress to the occasion, so I can be found in ratty shorts and a t-shirt with dirt up to my elbows (quite often in during warm weather), to dressing in full business attire, and pretty much every thing in between.  I've also been known to go out in public in any of those situations, much to the girl's dismay when that means flip flops and dirt :p

One of the boys my twins hang out with a lot thinks I'm weird, but cool.  He fist bumps me in public whenever we see him (grocery store, college, etc..lol.)  He looked at me in amazement when he came over to the house one day and I was on the Playstation, kicking booty.  He was also floored that I thought that my dd dying her hair blue was pretty cool.  

We're twins!  Except that I'm older as a mom.

I'm hopeless when it comes to appearances--didn't pay attention as a kid and don't now.

I'm a pretty lousy homemaker as well. I've never understood why the state of a woman's house is often seen as a measure of successful motherhood; seriously, what about birthing a child is supposed to transform me into a full time maid?!? Don't get it.

I think I'm an awesome mom. I love my kids and all their quirks, love teaching them, love supporting them in the adventure we call life. I smile and laugh a lot. Mismatched outfits and messy kitchen floors are just not very high on my priority list.

Yeah, this. Exactly.

I've never been very good at being a girl. I don't care about appearance, mine or anyone else's. I don't decorate my home or keep it spotlessly clean. I always went with "I'm a stay at home mom, not a stay at home maid." If I need to look nice I get dd to take me shopping and dress me. It is pitiful, but it is me.

I actually see a lot more of the attitude that women are glad to be rId of littles (I get that), but glad for their kids to go to school, go to college, mom wants her life back. I love my kids passionately, and miss them terribly as they are going away. I don't miss any particular stage. I REALLY don't want another baby in the house, but I love MY kids/adults and love being around them. I wish they'd stay even as I do everything I can to help them leave. I don't have a life that I want to get back that doesn't include my kids. I have enjoyed doing life with them for the last 19 yrs. 

• Like 2

At my age, it's more fun out here with the majority of people who are not all the same as each other. :p The fact that my college-aged son's girlfriend told him that she found me very intimidating at first because I'm "like, a hyper-intelligent Amish hippie" only bothered me a little.

:lol:  :lol:  :lol:

While, I can totally see where she got that, I think you rock any Amish hippie vibe you may give off, and I would take it as a compliment.  

And Mamas of four boys are just intimidating by default.  It is in the rule book.

• Like 1

:lol:  :lol:  :lol:

While, I can totally see where she got that, I think you rock any Amish hippie vibe you may give off, and I would take it as a compliment.  

And Mamas of four boys are just intimidating by default.  It is in the rule book.

ROFLMBO! And having met you, I can totally imagine you with garden dirt up to your elbows (but with your best art pencil tucked behind your ear), fist-bumping your kids' friends lovingly in the Piggly Wiggly. Because you are there buying 20 pounds of meat for a BBQ at your house, to which you are inviting them. <3

• Like 2

If some wants to wait to have their kids do laundry, that's fine. But I think many moms haven't really thought about how easy it is to do and thus it never occurs to them to turn the job over to their kids until late high school.

I still do the vast majority of laundry in our house, solely for the reason that I don't care to delegate it.  No one else can do it correctly.  :lol:  They are allowed to assist if they're home and that goes way back.  They can do their own when they get out on their own and I don't need to watch.

There have been some comments that resonate with me, but I don't honestly know what the point of this thread is.  

Pure fun.  I enjoyed having the conversation/laughter with my family this morning (and similar ones at other times) and I'm enjoying reading this thread and reading about all of our traits that make us unique - or similar.

I've always loved humor and I've always loved walking my own path in life regardless of the path others choose.  This thread mixes both in a way we can share.

No one has to post on this thread, so if you don't want to, don't feel obligated.  ;)

Yeah, this. Exactly.

I've never been very good at being a girl. I don't care about appearance, mine or anyone else's. I don't decorate my home or keep it spotlessly clean. I always went with "I'm a stay at home mom, not a stay at home maid." If I need to look nice I get dd to take me shopping and dress me. It is pitiful, but it is me.

I actually see a lot more of the attitude that women are glad to be rId of littles (I get that), but glad for their kids to go to school, go to college, mom wants her life back. I love my kids passionately, and miss them terribly as they are going away. I don't miss any particular stage. I REALLY don't want another baby in the house, but I love MY kids/adults and love being around them. I wish they'd stay even as I do everything I can to help them leave. I don't have a life that I want to get back that doesn't include my kids. I have enjoyed doing life with them for the last 19 yrs. 

Ditto.  I still absolutely love having my kids around.  I miss them when they're gone, though I'm happy to share their lives as they move forward.  I enjoy empty nesting, but I enjoy it more when the boys are home or we're visiting them.  I have no desire for another baby or to relive those days.  My time in a bottle would be 2006 when my guys were 14, 12, and 10.  That was a purely awesome year (spent 3+ months traveling to some great places and having a blast together).

• Like 1

Some days I feel like I'm the only mom in my (non-HSing) social circle who is not raising a "Quinoa" https://www.pinterest.com/tiffanywbwg/my-imaginary-well-dressed-toddler-daughter/

This is awesome.

I know women raising daughters like this. The Martha Stewart version of motherhood.

I like high heels, but I wear flats most of the time.

I like nice clothes, but usually wear jeans and a t-shirt.

I bake and decorate my kids birthday cakes, but I don't throw a big party.

I hug my kids. I love them. I listen. I think I've seen enough good moms to know there's no one way to do it right.  So I'm pretty typical in that sense.

• Like 3

I don't love my kids that much.

I love my kids that much.  I don't love that sort of creativity enough.

On a sad note, youngest's gf broke up with him last night.  They've been together for 3+ years now and he had such plans for their future together after he graduated.  I wish bandaids and kisses could fix his hurt.  I'd be willing to do them.  Hugs and listening ears are common around here, but fixes for this are tough.

I'm "typical" enough that I hurt when my guys hurt.  She's a nice young lady, so there are no pros to this other than if it wasn't "right" for her, then it's not right.

:crying:

• Like 4

I don't think there are typical moms. A lot of the things talked about would be typical for country folks here. Country moms may birth an animal or shovel up poop but when it is time to go to "town"(as we say) they can get all dressed up. My mom is as country as can be but likes all sorts of jewelry and "bling"(as she would say). 

I've never been big on make-up- less so the older I get but I wear a bit of bb cream, mascara and blush. I still have no problem getting dirty and working hard. It is kind of funny because in around here it is common to brag out being more old fashioned and country (even if you aren't- I had this family out that talks about being all into old-fashioned nature stuff and the mom kept spazzing out while we were walking through the forest- your son is climbing a tree- ya- so?). I say just be who you are, whatever that is.

Funny thing is that now that I have broadened my circle I know some Pinterest moms, I find it interesting to listen to them as it is such a different world but what I hear is that they are just trying to show their love, some people just enjoy it too. It is a way to be creative. I can't help but think what a waste of money but we all waste money on something and if the kid is enjoying it then I guess there are a lot worse things than spending money on your kid.

My kids love me and think I'm cool and the best mom ever (at least for now, we haven't hit teenage years). That is pretty good to me. Playing in the dirt and such isn't atypical here but my love for climbing and playing on the playground equipment is a bit different. I let my kids explore and do things most don't-- as I'm often right there in the middle of it. My ds calls me his Parkour buddy and I like to challenge them with new skills to try out. I encourage them to go barefoot and play in the rain and mud. I like to play in the mud too- last bike trip dh and I went on I ended up covered in mud head to toe- and then we went shopping. I highly value independence and let my kids do a lot others don't but that is because I'm a lot more free range than many, some people think I'm crazy I'm sure, then again I can be a bit tiger mom about some things too. It works for us.

• Like 1

On a sad note, youngest's gf broke up with him last night.  They've been together for 3+ years now and he had such plans for their future together after he graduated.

I'm not ready for that, how hard :(

• Like 1

I'm not ready for that, how hard :(

Yeah, it's not my best day mentally right now.

I think one thing typical of moms regardless of our individual attributes is we share our kid's heartaches.

I really wish there were something I could say or do to ease his pain.  I remind myself that it's better happening now than a couple of years or kids into marriage, but still... 3+ years is a lot of togetherness that is now ended.  It'll take some time for that wound to heal.

I'm definitely praying he eventually finds someone he likes as much who shares his feelings and goals/plans.

• Like 4

Oh, yes, I'm in this club. Sometimes, depending on the people around me, it makes me feel like a real outsider. But you know what? I was that same person as a student in college and high school; I just never really fit in with the typical crowd and never particularly bothered me that it didn't.

• Like 2

Lol! I am the same way about laundry, *nobody* touches it but me.

I still do the vast majority of laundry in our house, solely for the reason that I don't care to delegate it. No one else can do it correctly. :lol: They are allowed to assist if they're home and that goes way back. They can do their own when they get out on their own and I don't need to watch.

Pure fun. I enjoyed having the conversation/laughter with my family this morning (and similar ones at other times) and I'm enjoying reading this thread and reading about all of our traits that make us unique - or similar.

I've always loved humor and I've always loved walking my own path in life regardless of the path others choose. This thread mixes both in a way we can share.

No one has to post on this thread, so if you don't want to, don't feel obligated. ;)

Ditto. I still absolutely love having my kids around. I miss them when they're gone, though I'm happy to share their lives as they move forward. I enjoy empty nesting, but I enjoy it more when the boys are home or we're visiting them. I have no desire for another baby or to relive those days. My time in a bottle would be 2006 when my guys were 14, 12, and 10. That was a purely awesome year (spent 3+ months traveling to some great places and having a blast together).

• Like 1

A lot depends on the circles where you run.

In my church, the norm is stay-at-home, Pinterest mom who homeschools. I'm uh, not that kind of mom. I enjoy cooking, but my house and life in general are functional. I also have maintained my career all along and work full-time now that they're older. And I go to the gym and work out. Not the typical mom at my church. 

Outside of that, I would agree that there is no typical mom. I have friends in a variety of situations.

On a sad note, youngest's gf broke up with him last night.  They've been together for 3+ years now and he had such plans for their future together after he graduated.  I wish bandaids and kisses could fix his hurt.  I'd be willing to do them.  Hugs and listening ears are common around here, but fixes for this are tough.

I'm "typical" enough that I hurt when my guys hurt.  She's a nice young lady, so there are no pros to this other than if it wasn't "right" for her, then it's not right.

Ah, hugs to  him. That is so tough to go through.

• Like 2

I think that one reason I have a different approach is that I started parenting at age 41.  Being single and therefore needing to work a lot probably affects it too.  I have a great need to prioritize compared to, say, my much younger, married, part-time-WAH sister.  I am not saying this to dis anyone, but reality is that if I see something on Pinterest (shared on fb) that is truly fun and awesome, it just makes me feel tired.  :P  Those Bento boxes are super neat, but nope!  Nope nope nope.

Then again, people say they feel tired looking at my signature, so maybe I have this all wrong.

I think that one reason I have a different approach is that I started parenting at age 41.  Being single and therefore needing to work a lot probably affects it too.  I have a great need to prioritize compared to, say, my much younger, married, part-time-WAH sister.  I am not saying this to dis anyone, but reality is that if I see something on Pinterest (shared on fb) that is truly fun and awesome, it just makes me feel tired.  :p  Those Bento boxes are super neat, but nope!  Nope nope nope.

Then again, people say they feel tired looking at my signature, so maybe I have this all wrong.

I do think that working longer before children gives you a different perspective on life. I'm much more goal-oriented than many moms.

My house has pretty much the same curtains in most rooms that I hung we moved in 18 years ago because I like them and not motivated to change them. Friends are constantly repainting and redecorating their houses. I'm just not there :). 

Not that the other isn't important, but some of us have developed in other areas.

Curtains - most of my house doesn't have any curtains.  Not because I am against curtains.  I've lived here over 20 years and never replaced the ones that were here when I moved in.  Some are still hanging, some were too ugly, some fell apart, and 2 rooms are new and never had curtains.  :P  It's on my list of things to do.  :P

• Like 2

Can I set my youngest dd up with your youngest ds then?   :lol:

But yeah, it's very hard watching our children hurt and not being able to help them.  Sorry for your son.

As far as being a typical mom, that's something I never really thought about much.  I knew I made some decisions that were probably a little different than the norm, and things that were a big deal to some moms were not a big deal to me, and I stayed away from all-women's social gatherings (unless it was a small group of my closest friends).  Now that my kids are grown up, they sometimes compare me to rather funny, eccentric moms in stories who I actually kind of admire, so I'm happy (and rather surprised) that they see me that way.   

Probably from the outside, though, I seem pretty typical.  I don't share a lot of my weird thoughts with too many people.

• Like 2

Hubby, my youngest, and I were out planting part of our garden this morning and the topic came up of how I'm not really a "normal" mom (as seen in parenting magazines).  I'm pretty proud of it in general, but it does come with some quirks like them learning to fend for themselves fairly young and being expected to get up and keep going if they fall down on the soccer field rather than getting kisses and bandaids from me.  My guys survived anyway.   :coolgleamA:

The cute part is youngest laughingly told me that he had just told his (fairly serious) girlfriend that, "You gotta understand.  My mom cares more that our garden fence matches the dirt than she does about her clothes matching."   :lol:

Yes son, it is probably important that any potential DIL fully understand that fact before you think about maybe getting married!

Anyone else admit to being in our club?  (The I couldn't be bothered to stand in the pre-birth line to get those "mom attributes" club.)  Or am I alone on a homeschooling board?

I swear I need some other female to teach my guys about girls...

Hello, are we getting matching t-shirts for this club because I need to order mine?

My children learned to nap to the sounds of their mother practicing her fingers to the bone, and to entertain themselves at a young age while she taught piano, voice, and flute. I almost never baked, and asking mom to bring cookies to kindergarten was insane, but asking mom to dissect with the 6th grade class was A-OKAY. For the short few years the older two attended the Lutheran school and I taught music and science there it was abundantly clear that I did not fit in with the other moms. I'm just too weird.

I still don't.

I love my baby grandson, but his parents know that apart from regular visits to their home, I am not a babysitting type grandmother, and the child cannot come stay with us until potty trained, LOL because I'm too busy with all kinds of 4-H nerdy stuff to deal with that, and need to be able to haul the little jigger to the rocket launch site and not worry to much about potty issues! If I get involved in a new Debussy work, or Chopin, or Mendelssohn or whatever dinner is sooooooooo going to burn so if you walk into the house, and I'm at the piano at 5 p.m., just go get take out. Really. Make it easy on yourself because if you ask "What's for dinner?" I'll say something like, "DInner? We just got done with lunch!" Only to find out I've been at the piano or even the sewing machine for three hours. Good thing math and science get done in the mornings around here!

And ya, we were great about teaching about all the sex stuff, but honestly, I don't know enough about traditional girls to advise my sons about it.

• Like 3

Can I set my youngest dd up with your youngest ds then?   :lol:

I wish!  I could see them having a lot in common.  It's too bad they won't be reasonably close together at some point to where we could arrange a "chance" encounter.  Or maybe we should start making summer plans?   :laugh:

I definitely think those who only casually know someone never really see individual quirks (at least not easily for most).  Our brains automatically assign stereotypes we've made along the way.  We're human and that's how humans work.  It's why we're surprised when we do get to know someone and find things out.

But within families, it's tough keeping much a secret... hence needing to "warn" others perhaps.  :lol:

• Like 1

Hello, are we getting matching t-shirts for this club because I need to order mine?

Matching t-shirts would be so cool...

Meeting up to distribute them would be a super enjoyable time.  Some of y'all really should live closer or someone with a really intelligent student needs to come up with a Stargate type machine that we can all install in our houses.

My poor guys have the additional task of having to inform me if it's meal time no matter what.  Losing that feeling of hunger is great for me - not so great for them.

• Like 3

Hmmm......I would need a serious definition of "typical" before commenting.

I am not into fashion.  I have learned that I strongly dislike the neighborhood mom's club, and I don't do the "my kid is the best or beat your kid in X" bragging.  

And I will readily admit that I don't seem to fit in with homeschool groups.  Their visceral hate for all things public school just makes me want to scream.  These are the same people who use the PUBLIC community college for the free tuition.    And when I tell them I worked in public education for over 16 years the comment is always, "Oh, I bet you are glad to be out of THAT?"

Um, nope, I quit because I had a special needs child.  Said child is now doing very well, and I am heading BACK into public education to work AND I am sending my youngest to public school next year.

• Like 1

Curtains - most of my house doesn't have any curtains.  Not because I am against curtains.  I've lived here over 20 years and never replaced the ones that were here when I moved in.  Some are still hanging, some were too ugly, some fell apart, and 2 rooms are new and never had curtains.  :p  It's on my list of things to do.  :p

I am SO MAD.

Our house has no one behind it.  We have 2.5 acres and live on a hill.  The 4 empty acres behind us is flat but at the top of our hill and open, no trees.

It just sold and they are building two huge houses in there, each with 2 acres.

They will be able to look down INTO our house.

So, the floor to ceiling windows we have lining the back of our house will need blinds and/or curtains.  

We have been "naked" for the entire 11 years we have lived here (not us physically, just the windows have been naked!)

I am hoping the house sells before we need them.

Edited by DawnM

I wish!  I could see them having a lot in common.  It's too bad they won't be reasonably close together at some point to where we could arrange a "chance" encounter.  Or maybe we should start making summer plans?   :laugh:

I guess telling your son, "Honey, we're going to make a quick trip to the Midwestern plains this weekend, wanna come?" would seem a little strange...

• Like 4

I mean to my kids a typical mom wears tattered converse and hoodies, cooks a lot, let's them play alone, requires them to have academic challenges, requires them to do chores, let's them eat candy and drink soda, buys them apples by the 20 pound box, takes them to political caucuses, leaves several nights a week to skate, owns no makeup, is obsessive about suncreening them, listens to Biggie, Johnny Cash, Dar Williams and Girl in a Coma in the car, knows all the lyrics to most any Sir Mix A Lots hit, mandates music lessons, makes up stupid songs and sings them badly and loudly, reads them a crap ton of books, uses expressions like crap ton, expects them to pay for what they want out of their allowance but will open her wallet for most any book, is cranky at times, over organizes some shit and leaves other shit unorganized, lectures them too much at times, really wants at least one to play baseball but is happy as a clam if their sport is competitive spelling, is way too invested in the condition of their teeth, will let them skip baths for days, isn't crafty, may lose her shit if they try to wear shoes without socks, knows how to gut a fish, makes a lot of veggies for meals but doesn't require them to eat anything they don't want to put into their mouths, will never say no to going to the park and spends some early mornings hiking.

That's all they know. And they can't return me for a different model.

i wanna be your kid!

• Like 1

Seriously, with all the science nerdy kids we have between us on the high school/college board, one would think that by now they'd have had the courtesy to build us transporters so we can beam ourselves back and forth to each other's houses. I mean really kids! After all we've done for you.... :toetap05:

:D

• Like 10

I guess telling your son, "Honey, we're going to make a quick trip to the Midwestern plains this weekend, wanna come?" would seem a little strange...

Strange?  He'd probably reply that he'd be ready to go in 15 minutes if we wanted to leave early. 

We travel.  Sometimes we decide on a whim to travel NOW.  That's strange?   :lol:

• Like 4

Hmmm......I would need a serious definition of "typical" before commenting. 

That would require a more serious thread than this one is.  "Typical" is in quotes for a reason and whether one is "typical" or not has no bearing whatsoever on whether one is a "good" mom or not.  The two aren't synonyms.   :coolgleamA:

I'm "working" in a public school today.  "Working" is in quotes because I'm getting paid to be here, but once again I'm merely supervising a student teacher.  I can't even give you a serious definition of work.  Is it getting paid?  Or is it doing something productive?

• Like 2