Menu

For those of us who aren't really "typical" moms

creekland

Hubby, my youngest, and I were out planting part of our garden this morning and the topic came up of how I'm not really a "normal" mom (as seen in parenting magazines).  I'm pretty proud of it in general, but it does come with some quirks like them learning to fend for themselves fairly young and being expected to get up and keep going if they fall down on the soccer field rather than getting kisses and bandaids from me.  My guys survived anyway.   :coolgleamA:

The cute part is youngest laughingly told me that he had just told his (fairly serious) girlfriend that, "You gotta understand.  My mom cares more that our garden fence matches the dirt than she does about her clothes matching."   :lol:

Yes son, it is probably important that any potential DIL fully understand that fact before you think about maybe getting married!

Anyone else admit to being in our club?  (The I couldn't be bothered to stand in the pre-birth line to get those "mom attributes" club.)  Or am I alone on a homeschooling board?

I swear I need some other female to teach my guys about girls...

• Like 12

I am weird.  Extremely plain.  I was just talking about this yesterday to my kid.  She is such a fashion diva.  From her fancy hair styles to her high-heeled shoes.  :P  I told her it's a good thing she was born with those skills, because she certainly wasn't getting them from me.

It's only a matter of time before my kids are embarrassed to take me anywhere in case we meet someone they know.  :P

I also think my kids are wired to be better cooks than me, which I think is a great thing!  They can have me over for Thanksgiving in my declining years.

As for being nurturing, I'm nurturing about some things, but not in accordance with modern popular parenting.  I figure I'm raising adults.  I feel my kids need to know how to do all the things (and roll with the punches) when they are old enough for college - or preferably, by the time they can drive - if not sooner.

I'm a mom who never says "I miss those days when my kids were more needy."

• Like 10

I'm not typical by parenting magazines standards but can easily blend in with the moms in my region; the live in jeans, can win their kids at video games or arcades, know the latest tech fads and hunt for Lego bargains.

I'm still a rebellious tomboy who like looking for legal loopholes :)

My hubby does most of the housework so any future DILs are lucky in that my kids thinks housework are guys chores. My kids can cook and bake too if their future wives aren't into cooking.

I am typical in the coffee, phone and know the cost of afterschooling classes aspects depicted in parenting magazines.

• Like 4

I may fit into this category as well even though I never thought much about it. Perhaps not so much the garden fence...:) but the part about getting up when you fall down and being a bit of a "tough love" Mom. People thought I was tough on him when I showed him how to do laundry at 8yrs and expected him to do it from then on. All I thought was "if I drop dead next week, he will know how to do his laundry."

We were blessed to live on acreage with horses, chicken and - for 4 months - a market hog. Life was full, a lot of fun and a lot of occasions to learn for all of us. It's just probably a personality issue - I am not necessarily all touchy feely - but show some empathy and then expect him to move forward.

• Like 4

I'm always aiming for gender neutral, so I hope my kids find people who aren't offended if it takes me a while to get used to using the terms girl/boyfriend and husband/wife after I spend years saying "partner" and "spouse" in reference to the future, lol.

I don't think there is a typical mom. My issue is that I basically hate hanging out with other moms here. The kinds of thing people do to fill their days (looking at you 4h paperwork and random "activities"), and then bother to tell me or the Facebook about it, baffles me. I have to do play dates and such bc my son is so social and I am left completely depleted afterwards. We are making plans to move from the rural area we are in because this is a problem. Other moms were a similar sort of mess in the city, but there's more nonmom people to hang out with.

• Like 3

People thought I was tough on him when I showed him how to do laundry at 8yrs and expected him to do it from then on.

8? You coddled that boy! When my oldest turned 7, I began buying those premeasured laundry detergent pods and told him it was time for him to do all his and his younger brother's laundry. :-)

Edited by HoppyTheToad
  • Like 5

8? You coddled that boy! When my oldest turned 7, I began buying those premeasured laundry detergent pods and told him it was time for him to do all his and his younger brother's laundry. :-)

And one of my friends mentioned that I asked a lot of him. This shows how divergent parenting philosophies can go even among friends.

• Like 1

I don't think the mom in the parenting magazine is a "typical" mom.  I don't think I know anyone who is like a parenting magazine mom.  But I also don't think there is any such thing as a "typical" mom.

My mom (born in 1916) cared more about her gardens (flower and vegetable) than about her clothing.  She was not a "typical" mom like my friends' mothers.

We are all different in some ways, and the same in others.  I do try to communicate to my son that some  women care more about traditions such as Valentine's Day, and gifts like jewelry and flowers than I do.   He sees that with his sister anyway - she is very different from me, but if she ever becomes a mother, she will likely not be "typical" either. 

ETA:  And there is nothing wrong with a woman who likes "typical" female things like flowers and jewelry and gifts for Valentine's Day, despite the fact that they are not important to me.

Edited by marbel
  • Like 10

I think I get along fine with all kinds of moms.  I have mom friends who are workaholics and moms who are SAHPs / part-time workers whose kids' stuff always comes first.  Tiger moms and free-range moms.  Probably because I am a little of all of those.  :)

Edited by SKL
  • Like 2

Psst.

I'll quietly join in and say this thing that you never say to typical homeschooling moms.

While I loved MY babies, I don't really miss my babies at all. Nor my toddlers. They were cute but boy am I glad that I can sleep all night, leave most of them home alone for a bit and pee by myself.

While we all like looking cute, I teach my girls there is a time and a place for that. And there is a time and a place for getting dirt under your nails, sweating like a pig, and working hard. My girls can lift hay bales, flip sheep, grab chickens, and muck a stall. They can also cut grass and pull weeds.

They are a puzzlement to our homeschool group because they'd rather move tables and chairs than clean up the kitchen and watch little kids.

• Like 15

Yeah. We go to church and one of the kids falls and all the other mothers go running while I worry about weather they ripped their clothes.

Also we live in an apartment and I'm terrified they're going to fall down the 12 cement stairs so I strongly encouraged them to play on the 2 carpeted steps at church to learn not to fall down stairs and everyone keeps shoeing them away even after I explain so they don't get hurt.

They get nothing to drink but water unless they're at the table and they never get candy. I didn't do sippy cups or really anything toddlery. Toddler stuff just complicates things.

And I fed them until they were 2 because I didn't want to clean food off the walls for 2 years.

• Like 2

I agree that parenting magazine moms are not "typical" moms.

I find parenting magazines super annoying.  Somehow I landed on the mailing list of one of them and it comes in the mail.  It's always about how you can do these marvelous crafts with your spotless kids in your spotless house.  The very last thing I need is a list of craft suggestions to fill up my spare time.  :P

• Like 5

Hubby, my youngest, and I were out planting part of our garden this morning and the topic came up of how I'm not really a "normal" mom (as seen in parenting magazines).  I'm pretty proud of it in general, but it does come with some quirks like them learning to fend for themselves fairly young and being expected to get up and keep going if they fall down on the soccer field rather than getting kisses and bandaids from me.  My guys survived anyway.   :coolgleamA:

The cute part is youngest laughingly told me that he had just told his (fairly serious) girlfriend that, "You gotta understand.  My mom cares more that our garden fence matches the dirt than she does about her clothes matching."   :lol:

Yes son, it is probably important that any potential DIL fully understand that fact before you think about maybe getting married!

Anyone else admit to being in our club?  (The I couldn't be bothered to stand in the pre-birth line to get those "mom attributes" club.)  Or am I alone on a homeschooling board?

I actually think we are the norm more than the perceived norm is the norm.  Really.

• Like 6

I'll quietly join in and say this thing that you never say to typical homeschooling moms.

While I loved MY babies, I don't really miss my babies at all. Nor my toddlers. They were cute but boy am I glad that I can sleep all night, leave most of them home alone for a bit and pee by myself.

Lemme join you on this and raise you. :)

Oh, mine were so cute and we had such a good time.

Also I don't want them back. 

SWB

I am weird.  Extremely plain.  I was just talking about this yesterday to my kid.  She is such a fashion diva.  From her fancy hair styles to her high-heeled shoes.  :p  I told her it's a good thing she was born with those skills, because she certainly wasn't getting them from me.

I'm a mom who never says "I miss those days when my kids were more needy."

Mine would have to be born with such skills too.  I fully agree with your last statement.  

My hubby does most of the housework so any future DILs are lucky in that my kids thinks housework are guys chores. 

My future DILs are lucky with this aspect too.  Mine know that guys can do anything and are more likely to do most things than gals.

I do try to communicate to my son that not some  women care more about traditions such as Valentine's Day, and gifts like jewelry and flowers than I do.   

I have definitely tried to teach them this - and that many young ladies like make up and such things.

Psst.

While we all like looking cute, I teach my girls there is a time and a place for that. And there is a time and a place for getting dirt under your nails, sweating like a pig, and working hard. My girls can lift hay bales, flip sheep, grab chickens, and muck a stall. They can also cut grass and pull weeds.

They are a puzzlement to our homeschool group because they'd rather move tables and chairs than clean up the kitchen and watch little kids.

I could have written this - all except for actually having girls to bring up.  Apparently God thought it was better than I not try that job.  But my youth was much like your girls' and I certainly don't miss the youngster stages at all.  Nor do I like watching little kids.  I won't even work in school at anything less than 9th grade.  9th grade is pushing it...

• Like 1

Yeah. We go to church and one of the kids falls and all the other mothers go running while I worry about weather they ripped their clothes.

Also we live in an apartment and I'm terrified they're going to fall down the 12 cement stairs so I strongly encouraged them to play on the 2 carpeted steps at church to learn not to fall down stairs and everyone keeps shoeing them away even after I explain so they don't get hurt.

They get nothing to drink but water unless they're at the table and they never get candy. I didn't do sippy cups or really anything toddlery. Toddler stuff just complicates things.

And I fed them until they were 2 because I didn't want to clean food off the walls for 2 years.

When my kids were one, I would have them eat with their shirts off so they would notice if they spilled and learn not to do it.  :p  I gave them regular cups to drink from in the bathtub [clean tap water, not bathwater] so they would learn how without spilling it all over the world.  Well before age 2, we were done with all baby / tot stuff.

Edited by SKL
  • Like 2

Ditto!

We have/had play/work clothes for around home that are already stained/ripped so I don't have to worry about it here, but when we go out...

It's always about how you can do these marvelous crafts with your spotless kids in your spotless house.  The very last thing I need is a list of craft suggestions to fill up my spare time.  :p

I DO NOT DO crafts.  Ever.  I never liked them as a kid and I certainly don't like them as an adult.  It keeps me away from the majority of "Ladies Group" things too.

I actually think we are the norm more than the perceived norm is the norm.  Really.

Really?  Even on here I see people talking about fashion or cooking/baking or crafts or similar things.  None of those interest me at all.

At school we're supposed to watch out for dress code violations.  I'll be at the lunch table and another (female) teacher will say, "Did you see what Susie was wearing?"  Everyone else will agree and contemplate if it's ok or a violation.  I'll be wondering what in the world I missed.  I can't even come up with a color or shoes.  Hubby notices more about what others are wearing than I do.

• Like 1

Once we were finished having children, I never had "baby fever". An occasional bit of nostalgia but in the main we were settled in our decision. I don't feel a need to have a "baby fix" by holding someone else's infant. Just not my thing. Also, when they got to college age, I was glad to see them move on with their lives. An empty nest is just fine with me (in fact, I prefer it).

• Like 3

What's a parenting magazine?! I've seen those baby-themed ones that are mostly ads for junk-you-don't-need, but they actually have ones for older kids? Or are they mostly electronic-toy-crap ads too?

I'd like one with helpful articles, like, "Acorns in the Tampon Box? Which Kid is Responsible and Why!" I could probably get my own weirdo-mom column at this rate.

Surely these are the pressing issues of the day.

• Like 8

I missing some of those "girl genes" too. 

I don't send birthday cards, anniversary cards, or even remember such a thing as grandparents' day. 

I don't plan birthday parties or playdates. The kids can have some family/friends over, but I do not plan a PARTY.  This makes me a freak of nature in our family and social circles.  ( I do bake very nice cakes, but I don't get all theme-y and break out the food coloring and frosting bag/tips. )

I don't decorate for holidays/seasons. ( I love our Christmas tree with ornaments, and the Nativity figures that go on the nice runner on the top of the piano. That is enough for me. )

I don't rearrange furniture. ( Why?  I took the time to figure out how I like it, so why mess with it? )

• Like 4

I'm hopeless when it comes to appearances--didn't pay attention as a kid and don't now.

I'm a pretty lousy homemaker as well. I've never understood why the state of a woman's house is often seen as a measure of successful motherhood; seriously, what about birthing a child is supposed to transform me into a full time maid?!? Don't get it.

I think I'm an awesome mom. I love my kids and all their quirks, love teaching them, love supporting them in the adventure we call life. I smile and laugh a lot. Mismatched outfits and messy kitchen floors are just not very high on my priority list.

Edited by maize
  • Like 9

I DO NOT DO crafts.  Ever.  I never liked them as a kid and I certainly don't like them as an adult.  It keeps me away from the majority of "Ladies Group" things too.

Me either!   :D  :D

Though we did do the Chx mummy from SOTW. That's about as close as I get.

When I teach kids at church I always plan games and skip all crafty activities, so I often get classes full of boys! 

• Like 3

I'm not sure because I don't know what your club is all about.  LOL

I'm not a girly girl.  I don't wear makeup.  I don't carry a purse.  I never wear high heals or dresses.  I wouldn't care if my fence matched anything at all.

I do like crafty things.  One of my boys likes crafty things and the other not so much.  The one not into crafty things hates sports.

So really there are all kinds in the world. 

• Like 2

Oh yeah, my kids will refer to people as if I was supposed to notice what they looked like.  "You remember the girl in my group who had blonde hair and a pink sweater?"  Nope, I almost never notice those things.

Sometimes I run a test just for fun.  I'll ask Miss Diva, "you know that lady who sat with us for donuts an hour ago?  What were her shoes like?" and she'll be able to describe them every time.  My kids will make great witnesses if it is ever necessary.  Good thing they didn't inherit my genes!

• Like 3

I'm pretty weird.  If I notice that everyone is doing what I am doing I stop to give that thing a second thought.   DD is 5 and I eagerly await the day that she starts to pick out my clothes for me.  She is already much better than me, but too short to reach my clothes.   I also work while DH SAH and homeschools.   Although, I am a planner, so I research.  I don't really worry much about differences.   I guess because it is hard enough to find people like me, if I limited myself to people like me who are also moms I'd have no friends.  

One thing that people noticed a lot that we did differently was that we stood back during baby/toddler years and didn't help unless asked.  Many times I was one foot away while DD was pulling herself up onto something and another mother started to "help".    Then they'd see me and stop, and then comment on how strong she was.  I always thought but never said, "Yeah, that is because I let her do it"   

or even remember such a thing as grandparents' day. 

I don't decorate for holidays/seasons. ( I love our Christmas tree with ornaments, and the Nativity figures that go on the nice runner on the top of the piano. That is enough for me. )

I don't rearrange furniture. ( Why?  I took the time to figure out how I like it, so why mess with it? )

Wait a minute... there's a Grandparent's Day???

Our Christmas decorating is like yours.

People are supposed to rearrange furniture?  We've never rearranged furniture (after moving in) at any place that we've lived.  I can count on one hand the pieces of furniture we've replaced in 27+ years of marriage too.

I'm hopeless when it comes to appearances--didn't pay attention as a kid and don't now.

I'm a pretty lousy homemaker as well. I've never understood why the state of a woman's house is often seen as a measure of successful motherhood; seriously, what about birthing a child is supposed to transform me into a full time maid?!? Don't get it.

I think I'm an awesome mom. I love my kids and all their quirks, love teaching them, love supporting them in the adventure we call life. I smile and laugh a lot. Mismatched outfits and messy kitchen floors are just not very high on my priority list.

LOVE this!  I'm definitely not alone then.

I'm not a girly girl.  I don't wear makeup.  I don't carry a purse.  I never wear high heals or dresses.  I wouldn't care if my fence matched anything at all. 

Well, with fence matching it's mainly that I can't stand "white" in a fence.  White stands out and says "yuck!"  I want a fence that blends in with the surroundings.  Pretty much any other color will do.

Oh yeah, my kids will refer to people as if I was supposed to notice what they looked like.  "You remember the girl in my group who had blonde hair and a pink sweater?"  Nope, I almost never notice those things.

Sometimes I run a test just for fun.  I'll ask Miss Diva, "you know that lady who sat with us for donuts an hour ago?  What were her shoes like?" and she'll be able to describe them every time.  My kids will make great witnesses if it is ever necessary.  Good thing they didn't inherit my genes!

I would make a terrible eye-witness.  Period.  My middle son could be like your Miss Diva.  My other two are more like me.

• Like 1

It used to make me crazy when other parents would "help" my preschoolers at the playground.  Kinda defeats the purpose of going to the playground!

I often helped my kid at the playground, but I would find it weird if a stranger would help them.  I wouldn't dream of doing something like that with a kid that was not my own (except in serious situations).

• Like 3

No one has ever considered me to be a typical mom, lol. I worked too much or not enough to be on either side of those Mommy Wars. I expect things from my kids other people don't. I spend time working on my own goals AND try to put my kids first... My favorite workout is boxing, but I'm pretty small, I couldn't really beat somebody up.

My dd is like this also. When she was three we were at the gas station. I got in the car and she says, "You didn't say hi to that man." I said, "What man?" she pointed out the man. I told her I hadn't heard him say hi to me. Then she said. "He says hi to you at church every time we go and you smile and nod." ARRGGG. I had no memory of that man in any context whatever.

• Like 1

I am just myself when I'm being a mom -- which, I guess, is all the time.   I don't think I've ever thought about "what kind of mom should I or could I be?"  I have always tried to stay who I am. 

It probably makes for a weird mom-ness, but that's fine by me. 

• Like 6

I mean to my kids a typical mom wears tattered converse and hoodies, cooks a lot, let's them play alone, requires them to have academic challenges, requires them to do chores, let's them eat candy and drink soda, buys them apples by the 20 pound box, takes them to political caucuses, leaves several nights a week to skate, owns no makeup, is obsessive about suncreening them, listens to Biggie, Johnny Cash, Dar Williams and Girl in a Coma in the car, knows all the lyrics to most any Sir Mix A Lots hit, mandates music lessons, makes up stupid songs and sings them badly and loudly, reads them a crap ton of books, uses expressions like crap ton, expects them to pay for what they want out of their allowance but will open her wallet for most any book, is cranky at times, over organizes some shit and leaves other shit unorganized, lectures them too much at times, really wants at least one to play baseball but is happy as a clam if their sport is competitive spelling, is way too invested in the condition of their teeth, will let them skip baths for days, isn't crafty, may lose her shit if they try to wear shoes without socks, knows how to gut a fish, makes a lot of veggies for meals but doesn't require them to eat anything they don't want to put into their mouths, will never say no to going to the park and spends some early mornings hiking.

That's all they know. And they can't return me for a different model.

Edited by LucyStoner
  • Like 10

I get that too.  Most of my girls' friends are surprised by me.  

1.  I talk to my kids AND their friends.  Like, a lot.

2.  I listen to crazy music.  Loudly.  In the car.  With windows down, in the church parking lot. :lol:  :coolgleamA:

3.  I play video games (this floors many a young man) and can talk quite animatedly about Fallout 4.  

4.  I joke around with the kids, their friends, whoever.  

5. Teen friends are pretty much assimilated into our family and become one of my "adopted" kids.  They know they could come to me if they needed something.  

6. I don't helicopter my girls' to death (which is very, very common in our circles).

7. I'm young compared to most of my girls' friends' parents.  Some of the kids have siblings near my age.  

8.  I dress to the occasion, so I can be found in ratty shorts and a t-shirt with dirt up to my elbows (quite often in during warm weather), to dressing in full business attire, and pretty much every thing in between.  I've also been known to go out in public in any of those situations, much to the girl's dismay when that means flip flops and dirt :p

One of the boys my twins hang out with a lot thinks I'm weird, but cool.  He fist bumps me in public whenever we see him (grocery store, college, etc..lol.)  He looked at me in amazement when he came over to the house one day and I was on the Playstation, kicking booty.  He was also floored that I thought that my dd dying her hair blue was pretty cool.  

Edited by The Girls' Mom
  • Like 4

I mean to my kids a typical mom wears tattered converse and hoodies, cooks a lot, let's them play alone, requires them to have academic challenges, requires them to do chores, let's them eat candy and drink soda, buys them apples by the 20 pound box, takes them to political caucuses, leaves several nights a week to skate, owns no makeup, is obsessive about suncreening them, listens to Biggie, Johnny Cash, Dar Williams and Girl in a Coma in the car, knows all the lyrics to most any Sir Mix A Lots hit, mandates music lessons, makes up stupid songs and sings them badly and loudly, reads them a crap ton of books, uses expressions like crap ton, expects them to pay for what they want out of their allowance but will open her wallet for most any book, is cranky at times, over organizes some shit and leaves other shit unorganized, lectures them too much at times, really wants at least one to play baseball but is happy as a clam if their sport is competitive spelling, is way too invested in the condition of their teeth, will let them skip baths for days, isn't crafty, may lose her shit if they try to wear shoes without socks, knows how to gut a fish, makes a lot of veggies for meals but doesn't require them to eat anything they don't want to put into their mouths, will never say no to going to the park and spends some early mornings hiking.

That's all they know. And they can't return me for a different model.

And aren't they so lucky? :)
  • Like 1

TGM, I could've written that post (well except for #7). Our kids have decided we are the cool parents. And as Susan posted above, I am so glad mine aren't little anymore. Hubby and I were just talking about that not long ago and commenting on how much we enjoy our teenagers (and 11 YO).

Well, one of my sisters is one of those magazine moms. House is clean, crafts are done, her house is amazingly decorated, she has two side jobs that bring on some extra cash, my nieces are always dressed nice with cute hair.

I feel like the complete opposite most of the time. I'd say I don't know how she does it, but she has been like this all her life. Her side of the room was always clean, she was always put together, got straight As, etc.

Edit... oh yeah, my hair was green when my daughter was born, it was dyed black until my daughter was around 5 and i grew it out, I have tattoos, and my daughter fits into my prepregnancy goth clothes. So I guess we are weird. I won't let her wear my tall boots with the spikes though and she hates that. Although I'm pretty sure I will never go to a goth club ever again.

Edited by Kristie in Florida
  • Like 1

I hope my kids know what a shock it might be to bring my future daughters-in-law home to meet mother if they don't prepare them first.

Wouldn't it be easier to just tell the poor girls that I died in childbirth? Twice? Sixteen years apart?

< cringe >

Edited by Guest
  • Like 1

Oh, I have a sister who tries to be magazine mom.  Problem is, she stresses and ends up screaming at and whacking on her kids, a lot more than I hope is typical.  :/  I would rather have a messy house and chill kids.  And I'm pretty organized by nature.

I have blue hair at the moment, tattoos, and I garden. And really, I think I'm a fairly typical mom.

Based on what I've read here, most of you are typical moms too, at least compared to my circle of IRL friends. 

I'm sorry to burst your bubbles. :lol:  

• Like 15

Yeah, what is this typical mom of which people speak?

This is not actually a rhetorical question, despite appearances.

I was in a sorority so I actually do know a lot of "Pinterest/Instagram moms". And they're not being ironic about it, either. My sorority "big sis" has a 2 year old and in all seriousness she started social media documenting on a weekly basis the uber-healthy, uber-cutesy "Bento box" lunches she packs for him to take to preschool. She's a sweetheart and it's her prerogative to do this, but :rolleyes:

• Like 2

Is there such a thing as a typical mom? I mean besides the June Cleaver which isn't even a thing anymore. :)

I guess I'm typical. I'm nurturing and I drive a minivan. But I have a pretty sarcastic sense of humor and I teach my kids to do things around the house at an early age, especially cooking and laundry. I haven't done my oldest two kids' laundry in years. I was standing with a couple other moms and said "I cook one meal a day, that's it. They can get themselves the other two." The other moms laughed, I think they thought I was joking.

I think we all have things we feel a little out of sync with other moms about. I don't think such a thing as "typical" exists.

• Like 1