Menu

Bible question/opinions

lulalu

I need to set up our background first.

We will be starting K this fall. We live overseas and have no Sunday School or church activities related for kids. We have the only child in the small church we have established. We have family devotions morning and evening. It consits of reading a chapter from OT in morning and a chapter of NT in evening, discussing asking questions, singing a hymn and prayer.

I had at first thought I like the looks of Bible Road Trip. It is pdf which is nice, and it goes deep. But as I have looked at it I am second guessing myself. It may be too similar to our devotions.

I wpuldd like a Bible curriculum for our school time since we have no weekly church lessons. But the options are overwhelming! I am not looking for a family devotional type thing as we will continue what we have. Looking for something that gives an overall view of Scripture but also looks at Bible stories at the young years.

Any suggestions? BRT? CLP? Anyone use Sunday School material at home? There are simply too many options!

I used the Answers Bible Curriculum from Answers in Genesis when I was a Sunday school teacher and I know of homeschoolers who modify it for home use. Here is the review from Cathy Duffy:

http://cathyduffyreviews.com/bible/Answers-Bible-Curriculum.htm

Sometimes only one or two students came so I had to modify it for that situation.

• Like 1

I really like BJU's Bible curriculum. It's not downloadable, but it is quite meaty and school-ish (as in, more study / theology than a devotional). You can get used copies on Amazon, or new ones from christianbook.com for reasonable international shipping. I just use the teacher's manual and the cd of songs / hymns, but there is a workbook you can get to go with the courses.

Edited by YsgolYGair
  • Like 1

Kristie in Florida- Does the AIG bring up creation often? I am a YEC however, I have found I dont agree with what I have heard from Ken Ham. What I have heard and read seems to be he feels the fix all for problems comes down to creation. I just dont want a program that brings everything all back to creation all the time.

We use the BJU Bible Curriculum.  The K book is very light in my opinion, but it is very Sunday-School-ish.  Ds15 is getting ready to start the Grade 12 book!  And dd11 told me tonight that she is ready for her next book.  She wants me to order it right away because she likes it so much and doesn't want to have a week or two off.

• Like 1

My family is oversees as well and we do all out bible teaching at home. We do have other kids in our church, but the Sunday School is really more of a day care. My oldest is 5, and doing K next year. This past year we read through The Action Bible and talked about it as we went. We also did AWANA which was great for memory verses and more devotional time together.

This year for K I had looked at Bible Road Trip but then thought it may be a lot of work for that age, especially on top of the other curriculum we will be doing. I also thought of doing a catechism, but wasn't sure if it was too early to start that either. In the end, we decided to continue with various children's bible and discussions and the next level of AWANA.

All that being said, now I'm going to go look into some of these recommendations you've been given. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

In addition to our family reading time, we are using Veritas Press Genesis to Joshua and Memoria Press Christian Studies I in tandem this year for my mid-elementary school guys. I think that of the two, I would go with the Veritas Press for a K'er. It's a little dry compared to Abeka or BJU Blble, but is expository in nature and it goes pretty deep. I also appreciate that it let's you assume the responsibility for doctrinal choices. There are timeline cards, puzzles and coloring pages, etc. to help draw them in after you read from the Bible, but it's not as colorful as some others aimed at that age group tend to be.

Really, I think whatever you choose will be wonderful. It's a matter of picking something thy you can be consistent with. The best curriculum that sits on a shelf and never gets implemented is worthless. On that same token, the purpose is to expose your child to the Word of God. You're already doing that in a very authentic way as a family. If an extra curriculum isn't in the budget (time wise -or- money wise), that really is ok, especially for such a little one. ;) If all else fails, a beautifully illustrated children's Bible may do more to draw your little one in at the kindergarten level.

• Like 3

My kids have gotten far more from reading through Children's Bibles than regular Bible readings.  With my younger DC, read many Children's Bibles, some of them multiple times.  They practiced reading with The Beginner's Bible and Stories of God and His People.  We read The Jesus Story Bible (and many others) before bed.  Then when they got a bit older, we switched over to regular Bible readings.  After doing this for a few years, I noticed my younger DC didn't know the stories as well.  They know who Noah and Joseph are and the basic story of Jesus' life & ministry.  However, they don't know many of the minor stories or as many details as my older two.  We are now back to Children's Bibles for our lessons!  Don't discount the importance of just reading through a Children's Bible...It lays a great foundation for later study!  

We do read from the Bible each evening as a family.  We also usually have a Bible reading & discussion one day a week.  The remaining days are focused on shorter readings or stories, singing a hymn, and memorizing Bible verses & our catechism.  We spend 5-15 minutes for evening devotions and 10-15 minutes on our homeschool Bible lessons.

I also think consistency is key.  We haven't missed a family devotion in years because we made it a habit.  A couple of times we just read a few verses from a hotel Bible or read a devotion from the Kindle while driving in the car,  but we always do something.  Find a time when you and DH are consistently around.  Meal times, first thing in the morning, or right before the children's bedtime are possible times.  Sometimes we've had to do a devotion without a child or spouse, but we just continue with who's at home.  I'm hoping this will continue to be a habit with them long after they leave home!

Edited by Holly
  • Like 3

Do you have a link for the free curriculum?

It was free. Now they've made it into an expensive kit.  :thumbdown:

And you have to print some things yourself. Does not look like exactly the same materials that I downloaded and used for free 6-7 years ago. We love the book itself and the audiobook. Have not seen the DVDs - they are relatively new.

Sorry for the bad info! Marketing - bah! 

• Like 1

It was free. Now they've made it into an expensive kit. :thumbdown:

And you have to print some things yourself. Does not look like exactly the same materials that I downloaded and used for free 6-7 years ago. We love the book itself and the audiobook. Have not seen the DVDs - they are relatively new.

Sorry for the bad info! Marketing - bah!

Thanks anyway. I wish it was still free. Ugh!

Edited by EMC

My kids have gotten far more from reading through Children's Bibles than regular Bible readings. With my younger DC, read many Children's Bibles, some of them multiple times. They practiced reading with The Beginner's Bible and Stories of God and His People. We read The Jesus Story Bible (and many others) before bed. Then when they got a bit older, we switched over to regular Bible

consistency is key. We haven't missed a family devotion in years because we made it a habit. A couple of times we just read a few verses from a hotel Bible or read a devotion from the Kindle while driving in the car, but we always do something. Find a time when you and DH are consistently around. Meal times, first thing in the morning, or right before the children's bedtime are possible times. Sometimes we've had to do a devotion without a child or spouse, but we just continue with who's at home. I'm hoping this will continue to be a habit with them long after they leave home!

The reminder I need! Thank you! We are very consistent with family devotions and read childrens Bibles regularly- I let my son pick the story not real planned or ordered.

Love the idea of practicing reading with the Beginners Bible.

• Like 1

Thanks everyone- the mom guilt of am I doing enough crept in! When I stop and think about it we really do have enough already with our childrens Bibles and devotions.

Going to look at Veritas for 1st on. (We are buying several years worth of curriculum before moving back overseas)

• Like 2