Menu

Horse Related Study

Judahslamb

I have an almost ten year old daughter who loves horses and enjoys learning about them. As I truly like the idea of interest based learning but am not sure where to look for a study for her I was wondering if anyone could recommend good resources or even online studies for her? She is a very good reader and reads everything she can get her hands on (which is not a lot by way of books since we live in South America!) I would appreciate any ideas, I bet I´m not the only one with an horse enthusiast in the house!

PS good classic (and clean) fictional book recommendations would also be appreciated, she has done the Black Stallion and Black Beauty series.

We have both the BF study and the WP Equine Science set. We chose the WP as curriculum because my Dd had already read all the classic horse literature books (Every Marguerite Henry title, 3 of the Black Stallion series,  Black Beauty, My Friend Flicka, National Velvet etc.) by the time she was 9, so no new lit in the BF program for her. 

The BF is lit and history based, as you would expect from them. The WP study is science with lit on the side. It is a meatier study imo, though both are nice. Most, if not all, of the books in the BF study are recommended in the WP study, even if not directly incorporated into lesson work. Both have some drawing, which my Dd enjoys. I framed her sketch of American Pharaoh, done from a pic in Sports Illustrated. :)

My daughter is crazy about horses too. I've got this but haven't used it yet. http://homeschoollegacy.com/product/horsing-around/  and we've got another horse unit study but it's no longer on the site. If you use pinterest, there is a lot on there for horse unit studies too and you might get some other great ideas. 

For reading books, we came across this series and have the first 2. The first one is free on their site but it's a great series. http://www.sonrisestable.com

This!  DD did this at 11 and loved it, and there is tons of horse-related reading recommendations in it.  Just a heads-up:  Order early; their shipping takes forever.

My older dd did the Winter Promise Equine Science program when she was a 5th grader. She really liked it!  You can buy the E-version and print it out yourself which might save you a lot of $$ in shipping!

https://winterpromise.com/science/equine-science-for-3rd-7th-grade/

• 2 weeks later...

We have both the BF study and the WP Equine Science set. We chose the WP as curriculum because my Dd had already read all the classic horse literature books (Every Marguerite Henry title, 3 of the Black Stallion series, Black Beauty, My Friend Flicka, National Velvet etc.) by the time she was 9, so no new lit in the BF program for her.

The BF is lit and history based, as you would expect from them. The WP study is science with lit on the side. It is a meatier study imo, though both are nice. Most, if not all, of the books in the BF study are recommended in the WP study, even if not directly incorporated into lesson work. Both have some drawing, which my Dd enjoys. I framed her sketch of American Pharaoh, done from a pic in Sports Illustrated. :)

If you were planning to do both, but in succession, which would you recommend first?

If you were planning to do both, but in succession, which would you recommend first?

Many, if not all, of the BF books are suggested in the WP study. I would probably read through both and chart them out to see where the overlap is before beginning anything.

In general, I would do the BF study first.  

I bought the hard copy from WP and had no problems with shipping, but they are notorious for poor customer service.

Many people have issues with their download products.

My older dd did the Winter Promise Equine Science program when she was a 5th grader. She really liked it!  You can buy the E-version and print it out yourself which might save you a lot of $$ in shipping!

https://winterpromise.com/science/equine-science-for-3rd-7th-grade/

This looks great! Anyone know how to see a sample of it though? The website says scroll down for a free sample but I dont see a link or anything when I scroll??

Also I recommend Horse Lovers Math. I bought it for my daughter who is 9 1/2 yo and a horse fanatic and she loves it. I wouldn't say it's a stand alone math program but she likes doing it here and there when she wants a break from her Beast Academy books. So far she has done the first chapter which is a lot of money problems. I think just the idea that it's called Horse Lovers Math has her sold!

I tried the Horse Lovers Math on my younger dd. She looked at it, looked at me, rolled her eyes and said, "It's just math with horses in it." I think she was 8 at the time. Yes, I fear her teen years! ;) :lol:

That's very similar to the response I received, minus the eye-roll. This child does math without complaint, finally, and this does not fool her, lol!

• Like 1