Menu

My daughter needs a new project...will you brainstorm with me??

kfeusse

My daughter, age 15, was given some money ($250 to be exact) last year to pay for this project:  She bought over 60 pairs of colorful socks, both fuzzy and non-fuzzy, and sewed monkeys, puppies and elephant from them to give to sick children at a local hospital, scared children at a local shelter and police station.  She LOVED every minute she did this and now needs a new project.  

She is very creative and can use a sewing machine.  She can follow a pattern...or she is very good at creating her own pattern.  (she made fiddler crab out of felt for her brother...it included all of the joints and details, without a pattern...just a picture in a book).

She loves children and that is why the sock monkey project was so great for her.  So, please, if you know of another project she could undertake, I would love that for her.  

thanks. 

• Like 2

I don't have a pattern, and don't know a thing about sewing...but what about nursing covers for moms in need? She could donate them to a pregnancy center. When I got coupons for a "free one" it was going to be around $30 for shipping and processing fee. Oh! Also carseat covers! Those were like $40 for "free"

Project Linus is good.

You can also google for dresses for girls in Africa. There are several organizations that do this.

If she is interested in soldiers, they take cool neck wraps - https://opgrat.wordpress.com/2011/09/02/operation-gratitude-donation-shipping-info/

We have a local charity that collects clothes, shoes, carseats, high chairs, etc - everything you need for a child. They provide these things to families who have an emergency foster placement. We have made tote bags for them before and then collected toothbrush/paste, deodorant, comb, book, stuffed animal, etc for each bag. Usually these kids arrive with nothing, so they like to give each one a bag that is their very own with their very own basic supplies/toy. For the kids in our group that couldn't sew the bags, we collected socks and they made sock creatures with hand sewing and embellishing. We were told these are actually better than store bought stuffed toys. 

We've also made tote bags for our local food bank/clothing place. They make baby bags and fill the totes with supplies for a new baby when someone has one. The tote bag (sewn in baby fabric) can also be used as a diaper bag.

There are also charities that make capes for seriously sick kids in the hospital. http://capes4heroes.com/

• Like 1

No ideas, but just wanted to say I think that's pretty awesome. What a sweet daughter you have. 

thank you.  We are proud of her for wanting to donate her time and talent in this way.  Here is a picture of her "army of monkeys" (an puppies and elephants)

https://photos.google.com/photo/AF1QipMiuSx-n7qd0YEX7_VSKWVpEOd5dn2O1f5Esa_m  ( I hope that worked)

thank you.  We are proud of her for wanting to donate her time and talent in this way.  Here is a picture of her "army of monkeys" (an puppies and elephants)

https://photos.google.com/photo/AF1QipMiuSx-n7qd0YEX7_VSKWVpEOd5dn2O1f5Esa_m  ( I hope that worked)

Sorry, your link doesn't work! I'd love to see your daughter's work, though.

The sewing class at my co-op made children's hospital gowns and shorts to be sent to Africa, I believe. I'll find out to which organization they sent them.

A quick google search also turned up these organizations: Dress a Girl Around the World and Little Dresses for Africa

I don't know how to do it.  The picture is on google photos...and I don't know how to post.  If you know and can teach me, I will try again.

I'm sorry, NE, I don't have any experience with Google photos, but I found this on their help pages:

Go to photos.google.com.

To share individual photos or videos: Place your cursor over a photo or video. Click the checkmark  > select any items.

Click Share.

Choose how you want to share:

• To a social network.
  • Get link to send someone a link.
  • Shared album to create an album that you can allow anyone to add to.

So, it looks like you go to photos.google.com, click the checkmark next to the photo, click share, and click "get link." You should be able to copy the link and paste it here on the forum, but I'm guessing that's what you already tried? Maybe someone with more knowledge can chime in.

How about needle cases, the 3-4 layer felt ones?

You make a decorated outside cover in a cute shape, and then white felt cut into the same shape but a little smaller for the inside 'pages'.  Then sew together very firmly on top.

She could use some of the grant money to buy needles, and either give them to a charity or sell them at a craft fair to raise money for something else she feels strongly about.

I love the stuffed animals and I'm so glad you posted this.  I've been inspired by the ideas people have posted and ran out and bought myself a crochet needle and some yarn to see if I can make one of those blankets for Project Linus.  I needed a new project myself.

thank you for all of the compliments. I will pass them on to my daughter.  She is very proud of her work and we are very proud of her and the way she wants to do this for others less fortunate than her. 

I think she is interested in making girls dresses for girls in Africa.  So she is learning how to use a friend's serger so she can do a nicer job.

thanks for all of the ideas...I am sure we will have to refer back for more ideas...as I know this is not her last project. 

thanks again.

• Like 4