Menu

Strange and embarrassing bodily issue...

Dianne-TX

This is embarrassing to talk about, but I want it to go away and I'm not finding answers on my own.  Has anyone ever experienced a smell under their b*O&o*ks?  It just came on a couple of weeks ago.  No rash, no skin issues,  no anything.  Just a smell.  Sigh.  So embarrassing.  What is going on and how do I make it go away?  I've done my personal doctor internet search, but the things that turn up include rashes or other things, not just an odor.  It's an unpleasant odor like stinky f*e%e*t.  I've not had any health changes.  Nothing has changed, just the smell.  Sigh.  Is this what I have to look forward to after turning 40?  Is everything going to go downhill?  :(

I would assume it's fungal even if you don't have a visible rash. Dry your skin thoroughly after daily shower, treat with athlete's foot creme 2x daily, wash you bra after each wear. If it doesn't clear up reasonably quickly, see a physician. 

Edited by hornblower
  • Like 5

I would assume it's fungal even if you don't have a visible rash. Dry your skin thoroughly after daily shower, treat with athlete's foot creme 2x daily, wash you bra after each wear. If it doesn't clear up reasonably quickly, see a physician. 

All of this plus wash under your b00ks a few times a day if you get sweaty.  I had this happen one summer and the athlete's foot creme cleared it up in just a couple of days. 

And after you do that, lift up those puppies and take a cool hairdryer to the area under your b00ks.  I hate being sweaty and this is drying on a hot summer day.

All of this plus wash under your b00ks a few times a day if you get sweaty.  I had this happen one summer and the athlete's foot creme cleared it up in just a couple of days. 

• Like 3

Thanks everyone.  Where did it come from?  Did I do something to cause it?  I wash well every night, dry well, and even tuck my shirt under them when I don't have a bra on to keep it from being skin to skin.  I don't want to ignore something else going on, but I have no idea what that would be.  I'll try an antifungal cream and see if that works.  I did buy some shower powder that I use after shower at night and before I get dressed in the morning.  Is this a common thing to happen or is a particular person with other health issues are susceptible to this type of thing?  Or does it just happen.  I like to try and get to the root cause of things if I can, but I know that's not always the case.  Thanks for the answers.  I had no idea it could be a fungal thing.  :-/

Thanks everyone.  Where did it come from?  Did I do something to cause it?  I wash well every night, dry well, and even tuck my shirt under them when I don't have a bra on to keep it from being skin to skin.  I don't want to ignore something else going on, but I have no idea what that would be.  I'll try an antifungal cream and see if that works.  I did buy some shower powder that I use after shower at night and before I get dressed in the morning.  Is this a common thing to happen or is a particular person with other health issues are susceptible to this type of thing?  Or does it just happen.  I like to try and get to the root cause of things if I can, but I know that's not always the case.  Thanks for the answers.  I had no idea it could be a fungal thing.  :-/

Diet? I've heard conflicting information on what feeds yeast, but I do think diet plays a role. I actually had a yeast infection there once and my dr had me use a cream. I think it was the athlete's foot cream that I used. We weren't 100% sure how I got mine, had a couple possible answers. Could have been from wearing the same bra too long, catching it from dh who got a similar rash before me, etc.

To be on the safe side I would keep an eye on diet (bread & sugar consumption) and make sure you are using fresh towels if you are in the habit of reusing a towel. When a nurse mistakenly thought I had thrush (another time) she gave me instructions about laundry. I think they want you to wash items in hottest temp possible. I don't know how critical this is, but just make sure you are changing bras, shirts, etc. daily. Any chance someone else in the house has something you caught?

I don't know if the powder is related, but if that is something new in your routine it might be causing a reaction. I don't know that it could cause a smell-related reaction, though.

Hope you figure it out. :)

Wash you bra(s) in vinegar or something else to kill the odor or bacteria.  A new uplifting and supportive bra might also be a good idea.  And as suggested above, if you bought the powder and then developed the smell, that might be it.

Oh, and a morning and nightly shower might help nip it quicker.

Edited by Tammyla
  • Like 3

Wash you bra(s) in vinegar or something else to kill the odor or bacteria.  A new uplifting and supportive bra might also be a good idea.  And as suggested above, if you bought the powder and then developed the smell, that might be it.

Oh, and a morning and nightly shower might help nip it quicker.

I do add vinegar to my wash already.  Do you have any suggestions for a better, more uplifting bra?  I just settle for the one that seems to fit and feel good.

Did you get the powder before or after this started? If there is cornstarch in the powder that will feed a fungal infection. 

Get some athlete's foot cream, that should clear it up. 

No, I just got it recently because of the smell.  It's helping, actually, but I will try the cream.

If you haven't had a professional bra fitting recently; go in and get one if you aren't comfortable with one, get a tape measure and a good mirror.  VS, Soma?, a major dept. or outlet store in your area would all work.  

My dd's fav's are Olga; she's larger than me btw.  My personal fav's are Breezies with ulta-air moisture wicking fabric (I sound like a commercial); I was gifted one at the beg of peri-m after a summer of hot flashes by my mom Tmi.  They do fit differently and you would need to get current measurements for each line esp the Breezies. (The Breezies can only be ordered at QVC, but they can be returned.) A measuring tape and a little time trying them on go a long way towards a good/well supported fit.  I was surprised that different brands have different size measurements.

I'm sure there are other brands that offer moisture wicking, but I'm happy with the ones I now wear.  

I do add vinegar to my wash already.  Do you have any suggestions for a better, more uplifting bra?  I just settle for the one that seems to fit and feel good.

I just survived a horrific oral (inhaled steroids for asthma to blame) and vaginal (entire body in revolt to blame) yeast infection, so I've done a lot of reading on yeast. I don't think yeast infections typically smell. In fact, that's a distinguisher between yeast and bacterial vaginal infections. Bacterials ones can smell "fishy" but yeast infections don't generally cause an odor. I think this is consistent with my experiences.

Sooooo, my guess would be bacteria. If budget isn't a big issue, I'd buy 5 or more new bras and set aside all my old ones. I'd wash the area twice daily with a good soap and washcloth and dry thoroughly. I'd wash my bras nightly (every night, right after washing) in warm water with strong detergent and thoroughly dry (in a machine if the bras can handle it). A vinegar or bleach during washing would be good. 

If the stink is in your bras, it'll clear up fast. If it doesn't, I'd proceed with more investigations. 

FWIW, I have some sports bras that are so stink-attracting that they will still stink after multiple hot water washes with strong detergent and multiple drying cycles and months in the closet . . . I think the main problem is that I sometimes let them sit for days before washing. That bacteria just goes mad and digs in to the fibers. If the stink spread to my books . . . I'd throw them out (even though they are my favorites).

• Like 1

Oh, not sure if this would help, but I've started using Stridex pads, the kind for acne, in that crease under my breasts. I was getting some thickened skin that just seemed kind of like it might be the beginnings of a rash, and it has worked wonderfully. (and also works for preventing razor burn!)