Menu

Non-Repetitive Curriculum

Beast Academy for Math (grades 3-5)

Trail Guide World & US for Geography (more of an atlas scavenger hunt)

Everything else I've had to tweak-meaning cross out a lot of questions. So, I'm curious to know what else there is.

• Like 1

The Galore Park books assume bright and engaged students who pick things up quickly.  The English books, for example, touch lightly on grammar and spelling, but assume that either the kids will absorb a lot through reading, or the teacher will add in extra drill.  This is a sample of one of the English books for 7yo:

http://www.galorepark.co.uk/getmedia/cce89f36-c313-4da4-805b-cb44b124abfa/Junior-English-Book-1-sample-pages.aspx

• Like 3

FLL and WWE have been just the ticket for my bright-but-impatient eldest.

Did you have to tweak FLL, though? My dc are fairly patient about repetition of things they know, but a fair number of those FLL lessons we skipped after a "do you remember the definition of a ____?"

For my kids these were incredibly repetitive - slow and repetitive. I know this is subjective, but my kids were ready to poke their eyes out any time I brought out WWE.

Same here.

Honestly, we found that to be true with most curricula developed specifically for homeschoolers.

• Like 1

Miquon

Singapore

McDougal Littell (Math 1, 2, 3, Pre-Algebra, Algebra I)

Jacobs Geometry

Hakim - HIstory of US (Nice teacher guides, nice audio)

Spelling Workout (if a child is a reasonably natural speller)

Explode the Code (for kids who are workbook-y)

Prentice Hall Science Explorer

Ellen McHenry's science

TOPS science

Quality modern non-fiction from the library; typically we chose a variety of books at different levels on the same or similar topics, to read and discuss.  

Quality fiction - classics and more modern works - from the library, as books or audio, to read together or to ones' self, or to listen to in the car, with discussion arising naturally through the process.

• Like 1

Add to the above Mystery Science.

My kid who doesn't want/need much repetition actually likes FLL2 (and 1 before) because of the verbal nature of the lesson.  I tweak it a lot though, so that he's not saying the same definitions over and over and over.  That condenses the program quite a bit, so we will have finished 1 and 2 in about 6 months.  Haven't seen level 3 yet, so not sure how that will go.  

• Like 1

Yes, they are repetitive but they take very little time so they've been good in 2 ways. He hasn't had time to drift off to another inner world...........but he has had to develop some tolerance and self-discipline. A bit of this and a bit of that!

Yes, they are repetitive but they take very little time so they've been good in 2 ways. He hasn't had time to drift off to another inner world...........but he has had to develop some tolerance and self-discipline. A bit of this and a bit of that!

So --- how long does a FLL lesson take you?  I tried it briefly at the very beginning and never stuck with it because the repetition was enough to make ME poke my eyes out.  

Additionally, I see from your siggy that you do AAS; do you do all the review built in there too?

Does the repetition set up battles between you and DC?  (I think it would for our family.)  If so, how do you deal with it?

FLL1 takes 1-5 minutes for us. FLL3 takes 10 minutes. We do AAS with all the repetition, yes. It takes another 10 minutes regardless of level. We do that 3 times a week, year round and are steadily getting ahead of ourselves. As to the battles, I am really strict with behaviour in school time. I always qualify it with "concentrate right now and school takes very little time. Then we can go to the beach, meet with your pals etc etc etc.....". The consequence of lack of concentration is having to do more work on their own in the evening. So, you see my plan? Use lack of desire for repetition in your own favour. Ha!