Menu

Can you use FIAR for a 4th grader and 1st grader?

amselby81

I'm trying to simplify things. I've been using mfw for the past 3 years, but it's just not getting done. I was thinking about combining both my upcoming first grader and fourth grader in ECC, but then I remembered FIAR. I think it would work for my first grader, but I'm not sure if it would keep my fourth grader's attention. I'd rather not do separate curriculum for them though. Have any of you used FIAR with a fourth grader? Did it work well?

I really don't think that five in a row is going to be sufficient as a stand alone language arts program for a fourth grader. I see no reason that he or she couldn't listen in with your first grader,but it's just not even close to enough meat IMO.

Fourth graders should be writing expository reports, starting to (very simply) analyze more complex literature, and diagramming sentences. I understand the desire to keep them combined, but they have very different needs at this point.

You can probably easily get away with combining them for history, art, music, character, and possibly science at this stage with that spread. However, I really think you're doing them both a disservice to attempt combining language arts or math at this point. Even the MFW ECC with differentiated math and supplemental la, might not be optimal for both of them (particularly the 1st grader). They have very different needs at this point and will for the next few years. Once your first grader is reading to learn instead of solidifying the learning to read stage, you'll be able to combine them more naturally again (with differentiation).

Edited by Roseto27

Yes you can, and many do without compromising the quality of their child's education. While the degree of depth mentioned above I would never attempt with a 4th grader, I do agree that you will need a separate math and grammar for your older child. What you do with FIAR (and it is up to you) will make it suitable for  a child of that age. There is a thread on the FIAR forum that includes a list of chapter books that can be used as go-alongs for each row. This would certainly beef it up for your 4th grader. Choosing complimenting videos that add to the science and history can also be done. These would be painless additions. 

I would also like to add there there is a vol 4 which is more complicated than the first 3. And if you like this approach then there is Beyond FIAR which is similar and can be used by your older child next  year. 

I use FIAR with my 1st grader and my 4th grader listens in and enjoys it as well but it is not enough on its own for him. I have had much better luck with combining them for content subjects like history, science and art. We read and discuss the same material but I adjust my expectations for each student. They obviously each have their own math, reading for the younger and Latin that is at their own level. 

• Like 1

I'll be using FIAR next year for my K and plan for my 2nd and 4th graders to sit in ;although it will not be their main curriculum). I think you could modify FIAR to suit your older child by adding in lots of living books on the topic, spending more than a week, lots of hands on studies and more science and social studies. Id also add in a different math and grammar program. Since you've completed ECC you'll have already covers much of geography and cultures which I feel many books from FIAR draw upon. But you c an always find a history era that you can study during those books. You'd need to go beyond the topics in the books IMO

• Like 2

It sounds like you really want an all-in-one program that tells you what to do.  FIAR as written will not be enough for your 4th grader IMO.  Others have posted ideas for how to "beef it up," but that would negate the benefit of having everything laid out for you.

There are many ways to combine 1st and 4th, but math and language arts should have very different needs between those grades.

Or, you could use Beyond Five in a Row with your 4th grader, and then allow your 2nd grader to sit in and glean as much as he/she wants, but obviously tweak it down for dc.  I might do this for my upcoming 4th and 2nd grader!  I keep math and LA totally separate, though, with other resources.  My other option too, was MFW ECC.  With a toddler in the mix, I'm not so sure I want to even attempt it....