Menu

MEP as a supplement question

MeaganS

I'm using MEP 1 half a level behind for my daughter. She is almost done with it and will be starting MEP 2 soon. I feel like I read that there are regular review sheets in it that I could probably skip when using as a supplement. Is that right? If so, which ones are they? Also, are there any other redundancies like that in MEP that would be easily skipped over for someone who isn't using it as their primary math?

Currently, she uses almost all of it. I usually skim the teacher's notes to see if there is any unique teaching there or extra problems, and then she does most of the page. Occasionally I'll cross out a section or some problems if she has obviously mastered it or if it is tedious.

Eta: just looking for any advice in using it as a supplement. I feel like there is some overkill happening atm.

Edited by Meagan S

Every fifth lesson is review.

My daughter uses MEP and is thriving on it. BUT there is a lot of review. I have eliminated all the multiples-of-five lessons and often with cross out parts of a page for review. She doesn't need that much. We even condense lessons, sometimes doing two or three a day.

The best part of MEP is in the teacher lessons, where you get interesting and advanced topics. They generally don't come up on the work sheets.

If I needed some review (not challenge/enrichment), I might just print out the multiples-of-five pages and use only those, maybe one or two questions per day. If I wanted challenging problems, I'd scan through the teacher's notes and select the best problem from each day ( be aware that problems often build over the course of the week, so a child who is lost adding series on Monday can do it by Thursday and actually get it).

Emily