Menu

Do You Love Your Timeline Book? Help!

I want to buy my older kids a timeline book. I see that just about every company seems to offer one. What am I even looking for? Which company produces a high-quality one that won't fall apart? Ideally, I'd like to have them add to it every year and have a keepsake of their school years as well. 

I also want something well-organized and visually appealing.

Then, where do I get timeline figures? Do I want black and white or color? As you can see, I'm clueless. Thanks!

I've never been successful with a timeline book.  It gets tedious or something.  (#homeschoolfail).  But I'm thinking about the Book of Centuries from Simply Charlotte Mason.  I like that it would be a little different than just a string of events, but that might not work as well with younger ones:  https://simplycharlottemason.com/store/my-book-of-centuries/

• Like 1

I love ours, but it's DIY. I printed the timeline pages from Guesthollow http://www.guesthollow.com/homeschool/history/timeline.html)on cardstock, slid them into page protectors, and put them into a high quality binder with a front pocket that holds a page for a cover. It's been excellent. We can easily slide out pages to add things, but they are protected as we flip through the book. I like it that we can always add extra pages in protectors to expand a period if a certain area of the timeline gets too packed.

For SOTW figures, I printed these http://tendingourlordsgarden.blogspot.ca)and I also made a template that I use to create figures for books we read and other historical things we want to add.

It was a bit of work up front, but now I love it.

• Like 1

We have, and really enjoy, homeschool in the woods timeline.

http://www.homeschoolinthewoods.com/timelinematerials.html

We paired it with their cd of timeline figures and it's fantastic. It's a little pricey but it was a good investment for us.

We have this timeline book and like it a lot too.

This year, we're studying 1900s+ history. I bought a used book with short descriptions and photos. My dd is cutting the photos out (yes, you can do that if you own the book!) after we read and putting them on the timeline.

I also put in tiny photos of the kids' art and field trips that go along with specific time periods.

I've never been successful with a timeline book.  It gets tedious or something.  (#homeschoolfail).  But I'm thinking about the Book of Centuries from Simply Charlotte Mason.  I like that it would be a little different than just a string of events, but that might not work as well with younger ones:  https://simplycharlottemason.com/store/my-book-of-centuries/

Bumping this because Lynn and I always seem to be on the same page. :)  I feel like I can't keep my CM card if we don't do a BOC, and I keep trying to make one work, but we never seem to continue it.  I still haven't found the actual format I want to use.  My oldest hates to draw with a passion, so I tried a simple chart format, but she found it tedious.  Maybe we should do a family one.  Maybe one on a wall.  Maybe pre-printed figures, maybe not.  Printable, or already printed? 

I keep procrastinating starting one because I never seem to find what I want.  But yet, every literature based program or blog post tells me you "have to have" a timeline or book of centuries. :)

Edited by KeriJ
  • Like 1

Bumping this because Lynn and I always seem to be on the same page. :)  I feel like I can't keep my CM card if we don't do a BOC, and I keep trying to make one work, but we never seem to continue it.  I still haven't found the actual format I want to use.  My oldest hates to draw with a passion, so I tried a simple chart format, but she found it tedious.  Maybe we should do a family one.  Maybe one on a wall.  Maybe pre-printed figures, maybe not.  Printable, or already printed? 

I keep procrastinating starting one because I never seem to find what I want.  But yet, every literature based program or blog post tells me you "have to have" a timeline or book of centuries. :)

Yes! 

I am thinking of getting this one:

TimeFrame

Now this looks like something I might use.

Oooo, I kind of like this one too.  I actually bought SCM's at the conference in Cincy because of slight conference discount.  But I might like Janice Campbell's better.  (I didn't even stop at her booth!  :svengo: )

• Like 1

I made one for each kid from blank sketchbooks. I used instructions someone had on a blog... It may have been five j's or the Donna Young site. It was basically deciding increments and marking the pages. I color coded for time period. It was a little putsy, but not too bad. I use timeline figures from Sonlight or Homeschool in the Woods.

We have a rhythm to our week because we use TOG, so I have them do timeline on Thursdays. They just find the topics we have studied that week, color them with colored pencils and stick them in because they are adhesive backed. It doesn't take much time every week and if we get behind (and we do:-), it is easy to get caught up. The coloring is optional. I think they just like the break from hard brain work.