Menu

Tips for The Great Homeschool Convention

mschickie

Hi All

I have been to our state convention in the past but this year we are going to Cincinnati for the Great Homeschool Convention.  I was wondering if any one had some good tips for that convention (places to eat, parking....).    Even though I have been going to our state convention for years I feel like a newbie since I do not know all the insider tips for this one.  We are staying at an airbnb so we will be driving into the convention each day.

Any ideas are appreciated.

Maureen

• Like 1

Most years they have parking vouchers online that will get you a significant discount on parking. Several garages honor them. The voucher can be torturous to find online. There are some skywalks into the convention center, and I think at least one connects to a parking garage, but I don't remember which one. 

There is a fair amount of food within walking distance, but the lines can be really long sometimes. You pretty much aren't going to grab food and get right back to the convention--it will take a timeslot, like one of the sessions would. No food in the convention center allowed, and the options are kind of pricey and somewhat  limited (I have food allergies, so I ignore the no outside food rule but try to not attract attention to that fact). I can find a few things to eat, so I try to do that when I can.

If you plan to shop, bring a cart. Everything is a hike because the place is very, very large. 

• Like 1

I've brought my own food before (I've not seen the no outside food rule)but in general there is plenty to eat within walking distance, there is a deli an coffee shop onsite. The line for coffee moves more quickly on the second floor. You should be able to find a parking pass online.

Make sure you check the agenda that you get at the convention because rooms/ speakers may be different than the agenda online. You can purchase recordings of most sessions at the convention if you had a couple speakers you want to hear talking at the same time, but not all sessions are recorded.

The vendor hall can be overwhelming, I like to take a quick trip through once before taking more time to browse at specific booths. At many booths you can have your purchases shipped home for free.

Have fun!

• Like 2

I drive in from a non-downtown hotel every year.

Parking is a bit different this year as there is only one garage requiring the voucher that was used at all the garages in years past.  On Friday and Saturday, if I arrive by the beginning time or shortly thereafter, I've usually been able to park in one of the garages attached to the convention center which is handy.  I try to park within one level of the sky walk and then can make quick trips to the car fairly easily to dump purchases in my trunk and grab water or food from my cooler.  Thursday is usually a bit trickier and I usually have to park a bit farther away because the conference doesn't start until later in the day when the parking lots are already full.

It's nice to take some time with the map of the vendor hall and mark the booths you are particularly interested in because it is easy to miss some unless you are hunting for them.  

I'm heading there this week, too.  Hope you have a good time!

Edited by JanOH
  • Like 3

Haha, everybody has how they do things.  Me, I'm all about the food.  I plan my whole thing around what food I plan to eat.  :D  Almost, but seriously, there's some really good food in downtown Cincy!  If you have the money to splurge, even just a little, treat yourself and have some fun!  

Menu - Cincinnati, OH — Rock Bottom Restaurant & Brewery  Here's the menu for Rock Bottom Brewery.  You'll cry if you don't eat there at least once.  I usually do it the very first day.  I get in early, check into the hotel, then go down to the Square to eat!  Get the Classic Mac N Chicken.  Split it with someone if you must.  SO good.  Then, for dessert go over to Graeters and get some ice cream.  I like the blueberry pie when they have it.  Sit and enjoy whatever is going on in the square while you eat.

For lunch the next day, Chipotle of course.  It's cheap.  Just go early and plan on standing in line a while.

For dinner that night, order La Rosa's pizza to your room.  You won't regret it.  Get one meat lovers and one the works.  SO good.  Oh my.  Me, I'm nutso for the meat lovers.  You're walking a lot, so you can handle the calories!

Usually in the hall they've had bbq.  The Montgomery Inn is fabulous, but whoever is doing bbq has been fine.  You don't want to be in Cincy and miss the bbq.  Don't eat the nasty, not the real deal La Rosa's pizza they're serving in the hall.  It's an abomination.  Starve first.  

Go to Campanelo's, either for lunch or dinner.  It's just around the corner from the hall and it's open late.  It's a bit of a dive, but it's friendly and yummy and a good value.  Their fried zucchini is terrific.  I usually get the chicken parm and split it with my (grown, 16 yo, 5'10") dd and it's enough for the both of us.  Can't beat that!

Breakfast.  I usually take my breakfast, but there's a crepe shop somewhere.  If you go over to the Hyatt, they have a nice little market where you can pick up a hot breakfast on the cheap.

Now for the convention!  Put the pdf of the schedule on your device and annotate it.  Yes to a rolling cart.  You can buy one online from Walmart or Staples or someone might be selling them.  Rainbow Resource will be there, and you want a skinny cart!  Timberdoodle will not be there this year and I'm bummed.  Like so bummed I may not even bother to go, sniff.

There are lots of sessions, so I usually have 1st and 2nd picks.  Many will fill up, so get there early.  I leave if a session isn't what I need.  If I'm in doubt, I sit in the back and slip out quietly.  

They're sort of militant, with a person at the door and signs about not bringing food in.  You'll still manage, but I'm just saying they do.  They actually have really nice salads in the hall.  I haven't gotten one, but I keep eyeing them.  One year this stand had refillable fruit smoothies where you bought the cup and got refills on the cheap.  THAT was a deal!

We used to have a board meet-up.  Dunno about this year.  It's fun to meet people.  Makes the convention sorta like cheers.  There will be LOTS of boardies there.  :)

The first night (Thurs) is premo time for hitting the vendor hall.  Go early and attack directly the booths you most want to talk with.  If you're really wanting to meet that person, that's the night!  I usually do a targeted attack of the hall and then go back and do it generally.  I never get it all done, no matter how long I'm there, lol.  I think I end up talking too much.  ;)

Make time to talk.  I learn more from the people I meet and hang with than from workshops.  

Ok, I'll say this and you can say I'm wrong.  I don't know airbnb, but I'd be cautious.  Cincy is a rough place.  There are lots of bedbugs.  The $20 you save might go poof if you get bedbugs.  I'd stay in a legit hotel in a safe neighborhood.  Now maybe the place you've found is fabulous, dunno.  Just saying be careful. 

If someone is coming with you, there are wonderful things to do in Cincy (aquarium, museums, blah blah).

Best insider tip?  Print your map and mark all your directions, ESPECIALLY your route out.  I'm a goober and I ALWAYS forget and get lost.  A number of the roads are one way and it can be tricky to get back on the highway.  By the end of the convention I'm tired, so I need that planned out ahead.  

Well have fun!  :)

• Like 3

Best insider tip?  Print your map and mark all your directions, ESPECIALLY your route out.  I'm a goober and I ALWAYS forget and get lost.  A number of the roads are one way and it can be tricky to get back on the highway.  By the end of the convention I'm tired, so I need that planned out ahead.  

Yes, this!   And . . my phone can never pick up the directions fast enough inside the parking garages!  I've gotten lost numerous times trying to get back on the interstate after leaving the convention hall!  

I'm sad about Timberdoodle.  And I also noticed that My Father's World isn't traveling this year.  I'm having a hard time imagining what the hall will look like without those two big booths.

• Like 2

Thanks every one. The airbnb we are staying at is in my niece'so neighborhood Hyde Park so I know it is decent. It also has great ratings from those who have stayedone there (it is an apt/ condo).

Thank you for the suggestions on food. That is one of my biggest concerns since I know it will be hard to fit in. I will also be finishing up some antibiotics that dictates when and what I can eat.

We have a rolling cart and I will be bringing my back pack that can slip on it. I already planned on brining some water and snacks.

I did not know that Timberdoodle and MFW were normally there. I am looking forward to going to Miller Pads and Paper again. They used to come to our state convention but have not for the past few years. There are also some other vendors I have not heard of that I want to check out plus there is always Rainbow Resources that place is dangerous.

• Like 1

Ok lovelies, we just finalized our plans and I'm going!  So if anyone wants to meet, gab, find me, whatever, I'll be there.  RootAnn, have we ever met?  I don't know why I always pictured you as living near scorpions.  I have no clue.  Are you coming from far?  :)

So anyways, I'll be there.  I'll be in a hat.  Can't miss me.  A little trimmer than last year, but not much.  Oh, and I'm only doing the vendor hall, so that will make me even easier to find.  

• Like 1

Great thread. Thanks for starting it. It'll be my first time there. Hoping I don't get really lost & hoping the kids enjoy their time with dh ... whatever they end up doing. 

Driving lost? If you get on 75, you can't mess up anything else. If you accidentally miss the exit going south, you'll go over the river, turn around, and then get off. If you miss it going north, you'll turn around and be fine. You won't miss the exit twice because you can see the giant building from the highway. :-)

I do get nervous about finding a parking garage on one-way streets, but if you can find I-75, you are good. 

If you aren't sure about walking around downtown, follow the families, lol! They are going to eat nearby, going to park the car or take stuff to the car/hotel, or going to the convention center. 

Everyone is pretty nice. I mean, I've seen some wingnuts ask some weird questions in sessions, but people really are super nice and very helpful. Just stop someone and ask.

• Like 1

I didn't plan our route out last night. Ugh. What a mess. Also couldn't find anyplace to eat that we could agree on. (Dh wouldn't do Panera or Chipotle.)

Made it to two speakers yesterday and they were both disappointing. Hoping for better today.

If I do this again, I am having dd#2 draw me a beehive/bee label to wear as a Hive Mind marker. So I can be identifiable to other board members.

I didn't plan our route out last night. Ugh. What a mess. Also couldn't find anyplace to eat that we could agree on. (Dh wouldn't do Panera or Chipotle.)

Made it to two speakers yesterday and they were both disappointing. Hoping for better today.

If I do this again, I am having dd#2 draw me a beehive/bee label to wear as a Hive Mind marker. So I can be identifiable to other board members.

So sorry! Who did you hear? I only made it to the vendor hall last night, I was hoping to catch SD Smith but got caught in construction on the way here and didn't make it quite in time.

I'm listening to Sarah Mackenzie now, I'm stuck in the hall but am really enjoying her session. I know she isn't everyone's cup of tea but I really enjoy her perspective.

I had a blast while I was there.  I went to a couple of Dr. Perrin's sessions and then a few others.  The one on teaching from primary source documents really gave me some great ideas for a co-op class plus I found some great material to go along with that in the vendor hall.  We did not make it to the end on Friday, just too tired but we were back first thing Sat. to catch the classical education unplugged session.  That one was good too.  I am hoping to convince dh to go back next year.