Menu

WWS Instructors Text and Student Workbook?

Flowergirl159

You really need both, IMO. The student book is written to the student, and the instructor book is written to the instructor and contains a ton of info about how to guide and assist the student and what to expect and some examples of how the writing should look. I use mine pretty frequently.

• Like 2

Absolutely yes, and absolutely worth every cent.

We are working through WWS 1 at half-pace for 5th and loving every bit of it. WWS is a great value for the money. I love how the student book is addressed to the student. I love how the TM gives me prompts, part by part, for when my student gets stuck (we can deal with just that part, and she can think through each assignment systematically). I love having SWB "come to my house" and teach my student narration skills, dictation skills, thesaurus skills, reference skills, summarizing, outlining, expository writing, literary analysis, poetry, and more. Best deal ever!

• Like 3

Also, don't buy the instructor guide in PDF/Kindle form to save money.  I tried that, and we've found that even with viewing them on an iPad or computer screen, some books really just need a paper form.  Getting Started With Spanish -- is great in Kindle form.  Fallacy Detective, Art of Poetry, The Thinking Toolbox -- great in Kindle form.  Novels -- great in Kindle form.  Writing With Skill books, student and instructor -- just don't really work in Kindle form and really need a paper copy.  I don't know why that is, but they do.  (And that's without even actually writing in the student books.)

PHP did have some of the WWS books at steep discount in their scratch-and-dent sale a while ago, so you could always call and ask them

PHP did have some of the WWS books at steep discount in their scratch-and-dent sale a while ago, so you could always call and ask them

Absolutely call the office & ask about this. We got several workbooks through this offer. They were very inexpensive & I couldn't figure out where the 'scratch and dent' part was. You have to call the office & see if they have any available to get this offer, though.

• Like 2

I've been disappointed to not use the instructor guide more often.  DD just "gets" WWS and rarely seems to need help.  But the times she was stuck, she was really stuck and I needed the instructor guide to figure it out -- In reading her text, even I wasn't 100% sure what the assignment was really asking for, so I needed the clarification the instructor guide provided.  So, I can't imagine doing without it even though we haven't used it very often.  I was able to get a copy used, so I didn't feel like I wasn't "getting my money's worth" or anything like that.

• Like 1

I'm thankful to have it even though I don't use it as much as I thought I would.  The only thing I wish is that the student book wasn't consumable.  I'm not so sure about buying one for each of my 5 kids when we get there.  But for this dd, it is working really well.  I'm also glad we waited until 7th grade to start it.

I'm thankful to have it even though I don't use it as much as I thought I would.  The only thing I wish is that the student book wasn't consumable.  I'm not so sure about buying one for each of my 5 kids when we get there.  But for this dd, it is working really well.  I'm also glad we waited until 7th grade to start it.

We have been, so far, able to treat it as a non-consumable. There are only a few pages (less than 30?) that the kid needs to really write on. (Sometimes, they use post-it notes to make notes.) I actually also own the PDF of the student pages, so I just print those particular pages. You could just make a copy of those particular few pages as you come to them for them to write on.

• Like 1

YMMV

Also, don't buy the instructor guide in PDF/Kindle form to save money.  I tried that, and we've found that even with viewing them on an iPad or computer screen, some books really just need a paper form. 

I use the pdf instructor guide and it works perfectly for me.

The only thing I wish is that the student book wasn't consumable.

My son almost never writes in his student book.  I actually thought for a long time it was non-consumable.  At any rate, with the pdf you can just reprint the consumable pages that have been written on.

We have been, so far, able to treat it as a non-consumable. There are only a few pages (less than 30?) that the kid needs to really write on. (Sometimes, they use post-it notes to make notes.) I actually also own the PDF of the student pages, so I just print those particular pages. You could just make a copy of those particular few pages as you come to them for them to write on.

I don't do well replying with my phone.😊 Responding to the quote above, I don't have the PDF copy. And DD does it fairly independently, so I didn't realize how much she had crossed things out following the instructions. I'll have to pay more attention next time around.

I have had no problem using the student guide again. I just made photo copies of some of the pages where ds1 was asked to write his answers and then put them in his binder. DS2 is using it now and it could easily be passed on to another student when he is done. The only thing is that both the student book and instructor's guide are a big ragged. We use those books a lot. But they are holding up just fine to the hard use. No worries about them falling apart, they just don't look pristine.

• Like 1