Menu

What's the funniest book you've ever read?

A little voice in my head is telling me to STOP TAKING LIFE SO SERIOUSLY and to LIGHTEN UP FOR GOODNESS SAKE. :D

So, since my main form of entertainment is reading, what's the funniest book you've ever read? Children's book recommendations would be fine, but I am mostly looking for things to read myself.

Thanks so much,

Anne.

Marley and me. Great book and hilarious, especially if you are a dog lover.

I love Anne Lamott's Traveling Mercies. She's really funny, but quite poignant in places, too. I like a woman with a lot to say, if most of what she says is hilarious.

Oh, yes. How could I have forgotten Anne Lamott? I love her books! Operating Instructions pretty much got me through my son's infancy. (He was a handful even then.)

Of course, I find they are about as likely to make me cry now and then as to laugh, but they're usually good tears.

The Dog Who Would Be by Farley Mowatt

If you go for Dave Barry, try to find material he wrote before he remarried, because he was a lot funnier then.

Erma Bombeck can be very, very funny.

I know I've read a few novels that made me laugh (for some reason To Say Nothing of the Dog didn't, but many find it funny) but I tend to forget them.

Stephanie Plum novels. There was one scene in Las Vegas I laughed so hard I was crying.

OH yeah, her gramma (burning down the funeral home, in the leather shorts, etc) is an absolute hoot. I can't read those books at night because the bed shakes when I laugh and it wakes up DH. And then there's the Lula(?) the other bounty hunter....:lol::lol:

The Dog Who Would Be by Farley Mowatt

If you go for Dave Barry, try to find material he wrote before he remarried, because he was a lot funnier then.

Erma Bombeck can be very, very funny.

I know I've read a few novels that made me laugh (for some reason To Say Nothing of the Dog didn't, but many find it funny) but I tend to forget them.

The dog who Wouldn't Be

A close second is The Boat Who Wouldn't Float( I can't hear "sculpins" without getting giggly), and there is some real humor in Never Cry Wolf. I liked the pots of tea he drank to mark his territory.

"King of the Mild Frontier" by Chris Crutcher, and really almost anything else by him. "King of the Mild Frontier" can get me chuckling just thinking about it. (...."See, Jesus had a brother, an older brother who was smarter than him. He wrote most of the Bible, and nobody's supposed to know about him. His name was .....ah, I shouldn't tell you. You wouldn't believe me.")

Anybody who had a sibling should read this one. Warning, though: Chris Crutcher is very proud to be one of the "most banned" authors in the United States. He takes on all the hot-button issues in his books (homosexuality, teenage sexuality, you name it), which are for high schoolers. But I love 'em!

Julie

Three Men in a Boat

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Three_Men_in_a_Boat

And, it #33 of the Guardians best novels of all time list. It has a delightful sequel Three Men on the Bummel.

I know I mentioned it earlier, but have you read To Say Nothing of the Dog by Connie Willis?

I had a wonderful annotated copy of Three Men in a Boat, but unwisely lent it out and haven't seen it since.

I'll agree with Lamb! It is not for the faint at heart, though.

Also, Rainey, by Clyde Edgerton.

I loved Rainey. I haven't thought about it in years. Walking Across Egypt was funnier to me, though. When I was working on my Master's, Clyde Edgerton came to our school. When asked if any of us had read his books, I was the only one to raise my hand. The other students (who were all teachers) looked at my like I had grown another head! He read aloud part of Walking Across Egypt that had everyone just howling. I'm going to have to get both of these out again.

Fun thread,

Melissa

There is a series of books by Julie Kenner. Carpe Demon is the first one, the subtitle to the books is "adventures of a demon-hunting soccer-mom." They are funny, but with a lot of adventure. Think Buffy the Vampire Slayer, but grown up and married with kids.

I took a 18thC lit class in university that had me rolling. My fave laughers were The Life and Opinions of Tristram Shandy, Gentleman and The History of Tom Jones, a Foundling. These were FUNNY -- very funny -- ribald in nature and so very clever. I hadn't known the 1700's could be such a hoot and a half. :biggrinjester:

Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas by Hunter S. Thompson (probably offensive to just about everyone)

Kurt Vonnegut often makes me laugh (even w/ fairly serious topics/undertones).

I need to read the Thompson book, I loved the movie, and some of his other writings. Kurt Vonnegut was a genius, his books are wonderful.

Catch-22, but it's not really "light."

David Sedaris' Naked.

Rozencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead is hilarious, even on the page.

Catch 22 was funny and sad all at the same time. At least it ended well.

Douglas Adams wrote a lot of funny books.

One of the funniest books I've ever read was "A Certain Chemistry" by Mil Millington. I laughed so hard through that whole book. He's got a couple others, but that one floored me.

I'm gonna hafta check out this Confederacy of Dunces....

And moira's To Say Nothing of the Dog.