Menu

What's the funniest book you've ever read?

A little voice in my head is telling me to STOP TAKING LIFE SO SERIOUSLY and to LIGHTEN UP FOR GOODNESS SAKE. :D

So, since my main form of entertainment is reading, what's the funniest book you've ever read? Children's book recommendations would be fine, but I am mostly looking for things to read myself.

Thanks so much,

Anne.

A little voice in my head is telling me to STOP TAKING LIFE SO SERIOUSLY and to LIGHTEN UP FOR GOODNESS SAKE. :D

So, since my main form of entertainment is reading, what's the funniest book you've ever read? Children's book recommendations would be fine, but I am mostly looking for things to read myself.

Thanks so much,

Anne.

The Confederacy of Dunces. I laughed so hard, out loud, by myself, that my face hurt.

The Janet Evanovich "Stephanie Plum" series is hilarious, "One for the Money" is the first. If you read these books you'll be craving donuts and fast food, though, be forewarned.

I also LOL at David Sedaris books, starting with "Me Talk Pretty One Day."

For a "mom with kids" book I love Shirley Jackson's "Life Among the Savages."

Also, Alexander McCall Smith's "Ladies No. 1 Detective" series has some very funny moments throughout each book.

I also LOL at David Sedaris books, starting with "Me Talk Pretty One Day."

Oh, yes. I was laughing so hard at this reading to myself that my children demanded that I share. Obviously, some of his stuff takes some editing, but I did read some aloud, and certain phrases passed into our family's quote vocabulary.

For example, we frequently shout, "bottleneck" or "ashtray" at each other for no particular reason.

I also love the Jeeves and Wooster stories (Wodehouse) and Jasper Fforde. The most recent Thursday Next novel had me laughing so hard that my family was worried about me.

Oh, and Eats, Shoots and Leaves, if you haven't gotten around to that one yet.

The Girlfriends' Guide to Pregnancy by Vicki Iovine ( although I think you have to read it while you are pregnant b/c the hormones have something to do with how funny it is.) My dh was actually concerned that I would go into labor while I was reading it b/c I was laughing VIOLENTLY!

Babyhood by Paul Reiser. His description of the first time he was left alone to watch his son was so funny, my stomach muscles spasmed. Never had THAT happen before.

I don't have much time, but hands down, the funniest book I've ever read is To Say Nothing of the Dog by Connie Willis (if you have Three Men and a Boat by Jerome K. Jerome, read it first; it's nice, but not necessary). Number two is Good Omens by Gaiman and Pratchett (Pratchett is always a good bet).

I really enjoy the Evanovich Stephanie Plum books, but I gotta tell ya, Patrick McManus is the funniest author ever. I don't much like his sheriff mystery series, but if you get any of his books of short stories about the outdoors etc., you will laugh yourself silly. Some of the titles are: A Fine and Pleasant Misery, They Shoot Canoes, Don't They?, Never Sniff A Gift Fish, Real Ponies Don't Go Oink... the list goes on. He's hysterical. I may need to pull one of his books out today, in fact. A Fine And Pleasant Misery has the story about the Modified Stationary Panic... oh, my, I'm sitting here giggling just thinking about it!

I also laughed a lot at the Mitford books by Jan Karon, but I was pregnant when I read them and found a lot of things to be hysterically funny that don't appear to be so in the light of - erm - less hormones. :D

Also consider picking up compilations of Dave Barry's columns (or P.J. O'Rourke). I also really enjoyed AJ Jacobs' book The Know-It-All: One Man s Humble Quest to Become the Smartest Person in the World--a true story about the guy who set out to read the Encyclopadeia Britannica in its entirety--it's actually pretty funny.

Gerald Durrell's My Family and Other Animals

http://www.amazon.com/Family-Other-Animals-Gerald-Durrell/dp/0142004413/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1222703199&sr=8-1

and A Zoo in My Luggage.

http://www.amazon.com/Zoo-My-Luggage-Gerald-Durrell/dp/014303524X/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1222703256&sr=8-1

I also think Roald Dahl is quite funny.

For Christian humor, I like Jamie Buckingham:

The last word (published and unpublished): For Christians--and others who take themselves too seriously

http://www.amazon.com/last-word-published-unpublished-Christians/dp/B0006CYULW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1222703387&sr=8-1

The truth will set you free, but first it will make you miserable: The collected wit and wisdom of Jamie Buckingham

http://www.amazon.com/truth-will-free-first-miserable/dp/0884192512/ref=sr_1_19?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1222702995&sr=8-19

Our Heart Were Young & Gay by Cornelia Otis Skinner & Emily Kimbrough

Two Bryn Mawr girls go on a European Tour in the 20's.

I have a 2nd hand copy with really funny black ink illustrations & I'm not sure if those are the same illustrations that Alajalov did on the editions avail now....

Very silly escapades & oh SO innocent <sigh>

The Confederacy of Dunces. I laughed so hard, out loud, by myself, that my face hurt.

:iagree: The Confederacy of Dunces had me on the floor

The Girlfriends' Guide to Pregnancy by Vicki Iovine ( although I think you have to read it while you are pregnant b/c the hormones have something to do with how funny it is.) My dh was actually concerned that I would go into labor while I was reading it b/c I was laughing VIOLENTLY!

Never in a million years should I admit I read this book (But I did) :D

And it was very funny!

Bill

Guest Virginia Dawn

The Mouse that Roared by Leonard Wibblerly, he has many other funny fiction books as well if you can find them.

Please Don't Eat the Daisies

The Egg and I

God and Mr. Gomez

and of course anything by Erma Bombeck

Okay, not THE funniest books I've EVER read, but some recent books that had me giggling and snorting a bit:

Kinky Friedman's Guide to Texas Etiquette: Or How to Get to Heaven or Hell Without Going Through Dallas-Fort Worth

The Yankee Chick's Survival Guide to Texas

Fixin' to be Texan

The first one was just plain funny, and that was the purpose of the book, I think. It may be offensive to some though.

The second one was more informative than funny, and it had some interesting info.

The third, I think, was supposed to be funny and informative but fell a little short of the mark. Not as much substance as the others.

And, finally, this is a favorite of mine, however, it was a hard book for me to read, emotionally-speaking. It does have its funny moments, but it is definitely not all lightness and laughter.

Angela's Ashes

Almost forgot ... I've been enjoying this one, too:

Farewell, My Subaru: An Epic Adventure in Local Living

Edited by Apiphobic

"The Princess Bride" by William Goldman...even funnier than the movie. It's my favorite book.

Some funny kids books (I enjoy reading these!), "Clever Cat" by Peter Collington had me laughing out loud. Also anything by Peggy Rathman ("Officer Buckle and Gloria", "Goodnight Gorilla"). These are fun read-alouds, they are picture books but my kids still enjoy them.

Thanks so much,

Anne.

A Prayer for Owen Meany? It's the book that I laughed out loud most often and most heartily at, though it was in college that I read it, so I may not find it quite as funny now, I'm not sure. At the time, though, I could not contain myself while I read it in the dorm, and all three of my roommates read it after I did, because they had to see what was so funny for themselves. They all enjoyed it as well.

Erica