Menu

CLE math 4 textbook

three4me

I received the CLE catalog in the mail yesterday and noticed that there's now a textbook option for fourthly grade. I'd love to hear what others think about this. This has been our first year using CLE math, and my second grader (just turned 8) is almost done with the 300 level lightunits. It's more expensive to do the textbook, but I do have two more kids who could potentially use it.

Thoughts??

I received the CLE catalog in the mail yesterday and noticed that there's now a textbook option for fourthly grade. I'd love to hear what others think about this. This has been our first year using CLE math, and my second grader (just turned 8) is almost done with the 300 level lightunits. It's more expensive to do the textbook, but I do have two more kids who could potentially use it.

Thoughts??

I saw that today! 

This is my 3rd grader's first year using CLE math.  He likes the LUs and I think he feels a sense of accomplishment when he finishes one, so I will stick with the LU design. 

BUT, he is my youngest, so reuse is not a factor for me. 

One thing to consider with the textbook is how much writing they'll have to do.  Will they need to copy down problems? 

• Like 1

We've really enjoyed the light units as well, but I actually think dd is getting bogged down by the number of books to complete in a year. Maybe I'll ask her what she thinks.

At what point do kids usually switch to doing math out of a textbook? I'm having a hard time remembering from when I was a kid.

Love the light unit format. The kids get a feeling of accomplishment every time they finish a book, the layout works well and not having to copy all the problems is definitely also a positive. The textbook version might work great for many, though. Nice to have both options. It worries me, though, that they might eventually do away with the light unit format.

• Like 1

Love the light unit format. The kids get a feeling of accomplishment every time they finish a book, the layout works well and not having to copy all the problems is definitely also a positive. The textbook version might work great for many, though. Nice to have both options. It worries me, though, that they might eventually do away with the light unit format.

:iagree: :iagree: :iagree: I really love the Light Units and it does kind of worry me that they might have a textbook only approach in the future. :sad: I have 2 more children to go through CLE Math 400!

• Like 1

:iagree: :iagree: :iagree: I really love the Light Units and it does kind of worry me that they might have a textbook only approach in the future. :sad: I have 2 more children to go through CLE Math 400!

Actually, if I had more children coming up the pike, I was thinking I would probably just go ahead and buy what I could now.  This really does make me nervous.  In fact, I'm feeling sad that I don't have more children (for many reasons).  I love CLE light units.  All my nieces and nephews are older than my youngest and none of them homeschool anyway.  Maybe I can convince my new SIL (BIL just got remarried) that her children need homeschooling with CLE... :lol:

• Like 2

Actually, if I had more children coming up the pike, I was thinking I would probably just go ahead and buy what I could now.  This really does make me nervous. 

I'm actually thinking about doing that! Like I've said in a previous thread, CLE Math is inexpensive enough that I could do that.

• Like 1

I panicked for a moment over it and then read that they will continue with the LU. We enjoy the psychological benefits of being able to see each book disappear from our shelf. Thankfully, even if they did decide to do away with the LU we are a grade ahead of their timeline for the moment. I can see how those with large families would like this option. It does make an already affordable curriculum even less expensive.

• Like 1