Menu

First actual day of HWT with kindergartner

cathmom

He cried at K? or at HWT? My dc used to love writing letters in shaving cream -- can you incorporate a fun activity like that? Warning: if your family is like ours, I'd suggest working in kitchen and ds in underwear or pj's!

But, seriously, You might want to consider letting him play with the wood pieces for a while. Another thing kinders like, in my experience, is writing with markers on a BIG blank piece of paper. If you can use an easel or tape it to the wall, that is best -- less marker on clothes (from bending over paper), plus the activity will strengthen ds's shoulder muscles, which are needed for writing. If you can save some Mr Sketch scented markers just for this activity -- more appeal. Might be a daily warm up for HWT?

With all your dc, you probably know all this already, so I was really writing just to be encouraging, rather than for any actual brilliant (lol) advice I might have!!

Good luck!

He cried at K? or at HWT? My dc used to love writing letters in shaving cream -- can you incorporate a fun activity like that? Warning: if your family is like ours, I'd suggest working in kitchen and ds in underwear or pj's!

But, seriously, You might want to consider letting him play with the wood pieces for a while. Another thing kinders like, in my experience, is writing with markers on a BIG blank piece of paper. If you can use an easel or tape it to the wall, that is best -- less marker on clothes (from bending over paper), plus the activity will strengthen ds's shoulder muscles, which are needed for writing. If you can save some Mr Sketch scented markers just for this activity -- more appeal. Might be a daily warm up for HWT?

With all your dc, you probably know all this already, so I was really writing just to be encouraging, rather than for any actual brilliant (lol) advice I might have!!

Good luck!

:iagree:

DC really loved the wood pieces, making mat man, etc. It's a great program, lots of room for creativity. Hugs and best wishes to you! :)

He cried on the first page. I thought it was funny, as I have never had a child cry with handwriting before, and we just switched to Handwriting Without Tears and for the first time ever, I have tears!

He loves the wood pieces though! It's just that he is gripping the pencil very strangely and not getting how to hold it properly.

Stay far away from the book!! LOL, well for right now! Stick with the chalkboard/clay/ wood peices, magna doodle, white board..etc....and shaving cream till he gets more confident!!! I would work up to the book gradually. I can understand....we are on our 3rd K'er and she was resistant in the beginning till she got more confident at writing them....then we'd bring out the M&Ms!

My personal philosophy on ANY curriculum is this:

Tell me of a perfect product that guarantees NO TEARS, and I will find you a child that cries over it, LOL.

Pencil grip is a hard one. I was tired of sounding like a mean harpy during hw'ing so I sort of gave up ("start at the top", "pinch your pencil", "bring your thumb down", "now start at the top, remember?" and that was just for 1 letter, yikes!!!)

Hope tomorrow goes better:)

Oh, bless his heart. You know, boys are funny with those fine motor skills. My 2.5 year old daughter can grip a pencil perfectly and write little tiny circles. My 4.5 year old boy can't hold a pencil for the life of him. He holds it differently every time. Don't sweat it. I just have him do pre-writing exercises (if he feels like it) with a big ol' fat ink pen and call it good. He'll learn eventually.