Menu

So - six months into our exciting homeschooling journey

I am looking back and reflecting on the sudden decision to homeschool our boy. And there are two things that I am most glad of:

1. That my husband and I had the courage to pull him from school and homeschool him

2. That I found The Well-Trained Mind and then these boards.

Over the last six months we have explored some of the highs and lows of homeschooling. There have been weeks where it is only my pride that has stopped me from throwing him into the car and taking him straight back down to school. And there have been weeks where everything has just flowed in the most natural and harmonious of ways.

In the last six months he has come from being behind in many areas to working at least one grade level above. He has grown in height and weight from a scrawny size 4 to a healthy size 6. His behaviour has improved immensely and he is happier in himself. He is thriving and it makes my heart so glad to see this.

As for myself, though I was already compulsively ordered and tidy I have had to become even more disciplined, especially in the use of my time. It has been proven many times that without doubt I am the linchpin of this whole family and if I am stressed and disorganised the EVERYTHING will fall apart, but if I am disciplined myself and keep us moving through the tasks then it will flow much more harmoniously.

I have also tried more methods and means of doing our homeschooling than I can count and the way that has proved the best fit for me is one that I read on here - the suggestion horrified my book-lover soul at first but it won me over and soon I was merrily chopping up all his workbooks and putting his weeks work into a leverarch folder. This has made such a difference to us both - no more scrabbling round finding the right book and right page. No more being overwhelmed at all the words and pages when really the days work is so little in comparison. No more fussing around. I spend two hours on a Sunday night chopping, collating and sticking on hole reinforcers and then I don't need to do any more preparation. I have no idea who suggested it on here, but if i was Pope I would canonise you without a second thought!

These boards and the book that inspired them has been such a blessing in venturing into this whole new world of homeschooling. Voila! A map/guide and a huge bunch of helpful strangers eager to point the way! I can't moan or ask questions of friends and family as they will question our decision. With you wonderful people I can rely on your collective wisdom and experience and learn so much from you.

I am so grateful and we are having so much fun. Homeschooling is not a scary overwhelming burden but a great blessing for our family and we are all benefiting from this decision.

So while I am sure that forum regulars have seen countless threads along these lines, I thought I would add one more as I can't say it to my friends and family but I find I need to shout it from the rooftops - We homeschool and it is GOOD!

I have also tried more methods and means of doing our homeschooling than I can count and the way that has proved the best fit for me is one that I read on here - the suggestion horrified my book-lover soul at first but it won me over and soon I was merrily chopping up all his workbooks and putting his weeks work into a leverarch folder. This has made such a difference to us both - no more scrabbling round finding the right book and right page. No more being overwhelmed at all the words and pages when really the days work is so little in comparison. No more fussing around. I spend two hours on a Sunday night chopping, collating and sticking on hole reinforcers and then I don't need to do any more preparation. I have no idea who suggested it on here, but if i was Pope I would canonise you without a second thought!

That's a wonderful report! I too have begun to use the notebook method this year and getting my dc's work into a folder for the week. It has really helped keep us on track. You are so lucky to find it so soon on your hs journey. Thanks for sharing!

Blessings,