Menu

List of curricula for teaching dc with dyslexia?

luckymom

Systems designed for dyslexics:

Barton Reading and Spelling (scripted, DVDs teach a layman how to do it, lots of on-line support)

Wilson

Linda-Mood Bell

The above are specifically designed for kids who are dyslexic and are based on the Orton-Gilingham method of teaching reading and spelling.   The above listed programs are expensive, especially Barton, but are very cheap if the parent tutors themselves compared to the cost of specialized tutoring.  Some dyslexia tutors charge between $75  - $150 per hour with a minimum of 2 hours per week (preferably 3) and remediation takes a long time.  Sometimes years.  That adds up fast.  The easiest of the above programs to implement by a parent with no OG training is Barton.  Resale value is close to original cost.  Barton also replaces all other language arts material through Level 4.  (Levels are NOT grade levels, by the way.  The entire program, Level 1 - 10, might take 3 -4 years for a moderate dyslexic to get through, and that includes material for High School prep in Level 9 and 10).

There are other OG based systems that are not specifically for dyslexics but sometimes work just as well, depending on the co-morbid issues and how severe the dyslexia.   All About Reading/All About Spelling is one of them.  It is a great program but it sometimes makes too many leaps for a dyslexic. 

You might post on the Learning Challenges board...

This isn't a curricula per se, but could be a great resource.  LearningAlly.org is a non-profit organization that provides human read, highlighted text (on many of the titles) audio books for those with documented visual impairments and/or learning disabilities including dyslexia.  For an annual subscription of $120 you have unlimited access to their library which includes novels, nonfiction, and textbooks from readers to college as well as popular bestsellers which can be read/listen to on apple devices or your computer. I have had this service for several years and love it for the portable library feature as I usually read aloud the books from the text.  But the audio is human voice instead of a computer, and the speed can be adjusted (faster/slower) without changing the pitch and on text-enabled titles, the current text is displayed in yellow highlight by sentence/paragraph to follow along. .  Check it out:  http://www.learningally.org/

Edited by J&JMom
  • Like 1

My 2nd grader (age 8) was diagnosed just after his 8th birthday. He had been in public school and the school refused testing, because he was getting As and Bs and his standardized scores were low average so they did not feel there was a concern. I pushed and pushed to no avail. Anyway, I pulled him out of school and had him tested outside of the system and he was diagnosed with severe dyslexia and dysgraphia. When I had his ability tested, he was actually reading at a kindergarten level, and come to find out, his teacher had been reading to him, and then reading tests to him, which disguised how severe the problem was. Fast forward 6 months, and 2.5 levels of Barton, and he is reading at what I would say is a first grade level, and actually enjoys reading. It's very simple and straight forward to teach and the rules it teaches are useful for students who aren't dyslexic. I can't believe the rules aren't taught to all students.

Dyslexia can mean a lot of things. I'm no expert. I don't even know for sure what dyslexia is SUPPOSED to mean vs how it had ended out being used.

I just know I have students that self-report as having been diagosed with dyslexia. And some of what I do seems to help as well or better than what was being done before I started working with them.

Alpha-Phonics revised is now free.

http://blumenfeld.campconstitution.net/

Amazon now sells a smaller version called Phonics for Success that I am in love with.

Don Potter has a list of phonograms for free on his website and sells a little book called First Readers Anthology.

For handwriting, I use Spalding. When I teach cursive I retain the uppercase manuscript.

Ruth Beechick's The Three R's.

Lots of audio books.

NIrV Bible. The short sentences and modern punctuation are great for copywork and the "natural method" in The 3R's.

I don't mean to be flippant. I have no idea what is "real" dyslexia and what is best for that. I just deal with what is in my face. And what is in my face is people saying they were diagnosed with dyslexia that seem to do just great with some cheap oldschool stuff.

I reject some of what I see being sold to dyslexics like I reject the reality of public school and lots of the reality of what is offered for PTSD. I don't always trust experts and big price tags.

Are you talking about all subjects or just language arts?

• Like 1

Great question.  I haven't been on the boards in a long time, but I came back today looking for exactly what you've asked.  My dd (12) is dyslexic, so I'm looking for anything to help her succeed in the middle school years.  She's come a long way, and I too would suggest looking into Don Potter's website.  The information that I found on his website turned learning to read into something positive for my dd.  We now use All About Spelling.  Spelling is her worst subject second only to grammar.  Anyone have any suggestions for a good grammar program for a dyslexic 12 year old who basically can barely remember to capitalize the first word in a sentence and put a period on the end? 

Great question.  I haven't been on the boards in a long time, but I came back today looking for exactly what you've asked.  My dd (12) is dyslexic, so I'm looking for anything to help her succeed in the middle school years.  She's come a long way, and I too would suggest looking into Don Potter's website.  The information that I found on his website turned learning to read into something positive for my dd.  We now use All About Spelling.  Spelling is her worst subject second only to grammar.  Anyone have any suggestions for a good grammar program for a dyslexic 12 year old who basically can barely remember to capitalize the first word in a sentence and put a period on the end? 

You MIGHT have some success with Fix-It Grammar or CLE Language Arts.  Give the placement test for CLE.  It is a lot more intense than Fix-It and has a different pacing/approach.  Lessons are much longer than Fix-It but it is a good program.  It just depends on what you are looking for.  Fix-it is only 15 minutes a day, 4 days a week unless you want to double up.  6 books in the series.  It starts out very gently, and builds up until book 6, which is pretty advanced.  Not everyone goes all the way to book 6.  Prep takes very little time after you get the reference cards and pages printed.  You can do a book a year or a book each semester if you double the lessons and include a lesson on Fridays.  The lessons would still be pretty short even doubled.

ETA:  DD is dyslexic and struggled with punctuation and grammar and a lot of things.  Barton, coupled with Fix-it Grammar has made a huge difference.

Edited by OneStepAtATime

I use curricula from Sound Foundations in the UK.  Dancing Bears reading and Apples & Pears spelling.

BD and A&P are wonderful!

I have a student who couldn't keep up with A&P.  I eventually just started making my own materials for him, and you can find links to reading & spelling resources in my siggie.

Anyone have any suggestions for a good grammar program for a dyslexic 12 year old who basically can barely remember to capitalize the first word in a sentence and put a period on the end? 

Killgallon grammar for elementary.

It is NOT an independent thing.  Go slow.  The focus is on making interesting sentences through imitation. The grammar is constantly reviewed b/c we discuss things like "This phrase starts with a present tense verb, so how are you going to start the next phrase?"  We might spend 15 minutes on one sentence.  It's a fruitful 15min.

• Like 1

My DD has mild dyslexia..she reads well but struggles with writing, grammer, puncuation, spelling, math.

So far she is doing the best with CLE math and language. We just started Sequential Spelling. Supposedly the guy who designed it is dyslexic himself and used the method thatbhelped him learn to spell. My DD seems to be doing the best with this then all the others we have tried.

For math, I recommend Miquon or Rightstart.  Both are heavy on manipulatives and play to the strengths of many dyslexics while allowing kids who struggle with following a worksheet to keep up with the math.  Miquon uses the Cuisenaire Rods, and RIghtstart uses an abacus.  Miquon is cheaper, but RS goes farther in grade levels.

For science & history, keep things interesting.  Read books aloud together, watch documentaries, go places, do stuff.  You have to actively work to keep the content & vocabulary growing if they aren't reading for themselves with ease.