Menu

phonics program for K'er w/siblings with reading difficulties

caedmyn

I'm struggling with this decision.  My 5 YO knows almost all his sounds and letters and wants to learn to read now.  I'd planned to teach him using 100 EZ Lessons, which I used with his older siblings.  But...my 1st grader still doesn't read fluently and may possibly have dyslexia.  My 4th grader was an early reader and reads well above grade level, but she has some symptoms of dyslexia also, particularly difficulty decoding nonsense or unfamiliar words, so I'm wondering if she may have mild stealth dyslexia.  I'm going to put the older two in Abecedarian's reading program.  I'm torn between using it for the K'er also, and just sticking with 100 EZ Lessons. 

It would be so much easier to just use 100 EZ Lessons.  I already feel a little overwhelmed every day, and now I need to add a new reading program for two children.  I don't really want to have to learn a new program (even if it's the same program....it's a different level of it, plus manipulatives which 100 EZ Lessons doesn't have) for the 5 YO.  But then my DD learned to read just fine, and started showing signs of problems later, so I'm concerned that he may do the same thing.

Would it be a bad plan to just stick to the more manageable 100 EZ Lessons, and put him in the short version of the 1st level of Abecedarian after that?  Then I would already be familiar with that level, since DS1 is going to be doing it first, and it would be less stress right now. 

Try Happy Phonics for both the Ker and the 1st grader. It's a series of games that they can play together.  It is zero stress (after everything is laminated and cut...LOL) and it really works.

For the Ker, consider my Pre-Primer.  I've taught 2 dyslexics to read, and when my youngest was born with brain trauma, I began writing this series.  (1st grade is coming soon!)  The Pre-Primer starts at the very begining with introducing letters and ends with students blending 3-4 letter words, short sounds, open vowel words, and the silent 'e' words.  I take the whole K year to do truly master reading and writing at this level, pulling in visual and auditory skill practice as we go.  (Then 1st grade is a whirlwind through the remaining phonograms, attaching phonics to poetry.) The Pre-Primer is scripted out, so there is little learning curve.  It's also fairly repetitive, so once you know how to teach a section you won't need the script anymore.