Menu

Could be me but I'm tired of people's Entitlement mentality. Anyone else?

I mean, parents want to have these great and spectacular events at church, 4-H, and homeschooling but when you ask what they are going to do they declare they are too busy. I've even started noticing this in the kids. If I ask them to help pick up trash or something simple they act like they are "entitled" to do nothing for themselves or others.

Where did this come from? Is it new on the scene or just something that is bugging me lately? The very parents who complain are the ones who did nothing to help out. :confused:

I volunteer to teach Children's Church for the 3-5 year olds at church twice a month, but that's about all I can handle with homeschooling. There are other church sponsored events but I figure it's up to everyone else to pitch in with those. (The church has a membership of about 1200 people!)

One thing that keeps me going is when I get a compliment here and there. A "thank you, my kid had a great time in your class" goes a long way. Instead of them thinking that they're entitled to MY work with their kids, it's nice to know that they're appreciating that I'm going out of my way and using up my precious time for their sakes. It's not something they're entitled to, it's something they're blessed to have.

However, I don't think most people feel entitled. I think most people feel exhausted. I would love to volunteer for more things, but there just aren't enough hours in the day.

I feel like I just killed this thread. Yikes. I will say that I get frustrated at lack of involvement with parents, too. Most of the people I know though are really overextended. Homeschooling takes a lot of work from Mom and then Dad has to work extra hard so Mom can stay home. I don't do co-ops because I'm too beat to do my share.

I can tell you are frustrated, Kristie. It is hard shouldering so much of the load.

I agree there are two things going on 1. the entitlement people who think the fairies make things happen, and 2. the people like I am - exhausted and overextended. Last year, I was lectured in the parking lot by a very involved mother at my daughter's preschool. I could not go to the Golf tournament fundraiser. I had no child care that day, and after a busy week of homeschool (need I say more), taxi-ing children to ballet and piano and co-ops, preparing Sunday School lessons, making snacks to take to school, feeding my family - the last thing I wanted to do was go sit on a golf course selling brownies to rich people on a Saturday!

We hear "Sometimes you have to say no - for your health and that of your family!" But on the rare occasions I have followed this sage advice, I detect a look (or a scary woman in a parking lot) that brings on a huge guilt trip.

I used to do coffee hour at church every Sunday. Then I put up a sign up sheet and showed it to everyone. I was and still am surprised at the positive response. Most people are happy to have a specific task. Some people take initiative; others need some gentle direction.

There may be someone standing on the sidelines wondering "how does she do it all?" That someone may be thrilled if you show her how. Or she may say, "I am spending this Saturday with my family." :D

Very true about people being too scared to be the "real" leaders.

There's a lady who is a helper for the teacher of the Children's Church every couple of weeks and I asked her if she would ever want to take over the class for herself. She looked terrified and said she could never possibly lead the class. I didn't push her, but I do believe she could do it fine. Most people seem to think that the leaders have some sort of special ability or calling or something. Usually they're just normal people muddling through like everyone else!

I was a corporate trainer before I became a homeschooler, and there are a lot of people out there who think that teachers or leaders have some magical ability. Most of the coworkers I trained never seemed to understand that I was only one step ahead of them in everything I taught them. I usually just learned the material the week before and then shared with them what I learned. (Sounds a lot like some aspects of homeschooling, huh?)

So, a lot of people don't volunteer because they really think they can't do it.

I like how someone posted that giving people specific little jobs can get them going. Let them get their feet wet!

And on top of their fear, everyone is exhausted. There are so many responsibilities and (frankly) fun things to do. Like being on this site! I was supposed to get off an hour ago, and I'm still here! If I had signed off an hour ago, I would have had a clean living room and all my HS materials ready for tomorrow by now! UGH!:tongue_smilie:

I suppose there are quite a few people with an entitlement attitude but I don't volunteer very much because as a single mom who's self-employed and homeschools, I'm stretched as thin as I can be. I'm at a point I would rather pay to have my children in a program than have them attend one at church. Inevitably one of the volunteers will say something about my not volunteering. Actually I do volunteer but for one time or limited time situations. What I do is not as visible I guess. Frankly, I rarely feel that what I do is appreciated or matters by our church. It's never enough anyway. I'm well aware that there are other single moms who do much more that I do but I have to know my own limitations. I guess it doesn't matter much anymore because as I mentioned my daughters rarely attend programs at church for this very reason.

Judy

I agree there are two things going on 1. the entitlement people who think the fairies make things happen, and 2. the people like I am - exhausted and overextended.

:iagree:

Don't get me started on homeschoolers and following through on commitments. When I was involved in a group sort of thing, it always seemed that a couple of us would do all the work of organizing something and a bunch of people who had signed up would just not show up. I know people are busy but if you've made a commitment to show up, well, you should.

On the exhausted and overextended front, though, I am not hesitant at all to say no when we are doing too much. And my "too much" is far less than some other families' "too much"! But no one has challenged me on it (except my kids!).

I decided I could handle one major volunteer duty a year. Everythingelse I help out if I happen to be there at the time help is needed (ie more someone had to get more ice for the church picnic last summer and I did it). I do not commit ahead for anything. I stay for most Girl Scout meetings so the leaders can usually put me to work if they need. Some people at church probably think I don't do enough given that I have children in Sunday School and Choir, but I see some of their children on the Swim team I manage. I have 3 kids who each have a disability or serious illness so I'm stretched. Being in charge of one thing is all I can handle along with doing something small here or there.

I think if everyone made a committment to have one major duty a year it would all work out. Unfortunately, some people just want to "participate". The people who just "participate" and fulfill a minor volunteer job only if required are also the first to complain. I don't think you have the right to complain until you've had a major duty for a period of time and have an understanding of how hard it is to pull these programs off.

It is such a problem with the parks dept and sports that they actually let you buy out your working obligation for $20 if you do it at the beginning of the season and if you do not show up to work your time slot youget fined $20 and your kid will not play in the next game. Yeah like they really uphold that. I worked my 1.5 hours at the gate. Thankfully the weather was pleasant and it was the morning shift but 3 people just did not care to show up.

We hear "Sometimes you have to say no - for your health and that of your family!" But on the rare occasions I have followed this sage advice, I detect a look (or a scary woman in a parking lot) that brings on a huge guilt trip.

Hee hee hee, Smart people only try to pull the guilt trip thing on me once or twice. I think I must look about as mad as guilt trips make me feel, because no one tries it more than a couple times. :D

I always try to help out to the extent of my abilities. I'm no slacker with a entitlement issue... but I will say No when I need to. (And I know this is not at all what the OP is talking about, yet people do try...once or twice... to make me feel guilty for not overextending myself.)

It could be a whole new rant... Tired of people who think they don't have to take NO for an answer. ;) (Again, not a knock on the OP, because the people who feel entitled to do nothing are just as annoying!!)

There. I think I may be PMSing...?

It's a balance either way... don't let anyone tip your scales too far for ya. ;)

I think if everyone made a committment to have one major duty a year it would all work out. Unfortunately, some people just want to "participate". The people who just "participate" and fulfill a minor volunteer job only if required are also the first to complain. I don't think you have the right to complain until you've had a major duty for a period of time and have an understanding of how hard it is to pull these programs off.

This is kinda how I feel. The people (and I am not talking about just me because we do have great volunteers in all the groups in my OP) who help always seem to have a "solution" instead of a gripe. However, the ones who don't volunteer at all are the first ones to fire off an email to everyone complaining. That's just rude in my opinion.

I agree with some posts that we don't have to volunteer for everything. I don't myself. I pick the things I feel I can volunteer my time with and graciously say "NO" to the others. I fully understand that aspect. As homeschooling mom's we are a busy crew!! I just think people should also respect other's time and not expect a few faithful to always carry the load. Ultimately it hurts the children because less is planned.

He always said that it was possible that when someone was complaining or "suggesting" something that it was because they had the vision to see the problem, and that the person who sees the problem is usually the one that the Holy Spirit is prodding to fix it.

So we all knew that when we complained or "suggested" things at that church, that we were likely to be asked, "wow, so how are you planning to implement that change (program/idea/solution)?"

It really bred some care and respect for others.

He always said that it was possible that when someone was complaining or "suggesting" something that it was because they had the vision to see the problem, and that the person who sees the problem is usually the one that the Holy Spirit is prodding to fix it.

So we all knew that when we complained or "suggested" things at that church, that we were likely to be asked, "wow, so how are you planning to implement that change (program/idea/solution)?"

It really bred some care and respect for others.

Like this guy already!! My dh always hate when people start with, "We were discussing...". He stops them and says they must state who "WE" is before they can go any further. Most of the time, there was no "we." He has more guts than I do. :glare:

I finally learned that a good response to someone suggesting something a spectacular event was "Great idea - get back to us with more details"

And I know exactly what you mean about kids helping. I took a group of high school kids on an international trip. Whenever I said that someone had to clean up or whatever, it was a complete non starter. I think they thought that "someone" was my invisible friend.

And then there are us introverts with social anxieties that can't handle being around a group of people for any length of time and feel that no matter what we do it isn't going to be good enough. With us, it has nothing to do with "entitlement" and everything to do with having kids that want to participate in things that overwhelm mom.

The other parents will always do a better job and they know it and they make sure I know it. But they are the super well-organized moms that can't understand an introvert for any reason (or won't even acknowledge they exist) and have no idea that their constant frustration about moms with entitlement issues simply makes those of us with social anxieties want to crawl in a hole and hide because we know we are not good enough anyway. It does not make us want to help out more.

Yes, I've noticed kids being very reluctant to help clean up! DS ended up doing double duty- the other kids just filed out with their parents. I made a general announcement- to their retreating backs, and no one listened! The helpful parents who stayed around seemed to accept that there are many who don't do their share. I'm not talking about spending lost of time volunteering- I'm talking about the "entitlement" of these kids who assume we are there to clean up after them. DS was upset because the leaders know he will do the work but he does not get recognized. So he deals with it by trying to avoid work, but he does this at the critical moment when it is noticed by a leader. He says he feel picked on sometimes. We've talked about changing groups, but I cautioned him that they may all be similar.

This is me too. It's one of the reasons we haven't done cub scouts or 4H. I'm not lazy, but the thought of having to work with people I don't know makes me very uncomfortable. I'll be happy to donate money or food, or do paperwork or hard labor. Just don't ask me to call people or chaperon or organize something.

Well, there are things you pay for so that your child can enjoy (private lessons, homeschool gatherings at museums and such), and then there are free things that depend on group effort. I would say if you just cannot handle -- for whatever reason -- helping out some (be it social anxieties or too busy -- just stick with the ones you pay someone else to do. I would never expect my child to be able to participate in something that required effort from me if I weren't going to be able to do it.

I think entitlement is something inborn. I see it in children all of the time, and I think there are adults who just haven't grown out of it.

I struggle teaching my children to not have entitlement mentality a lot. They want a cozy house, great food and great stuff to do, but they really don't want to have to contribute anything to get it. I have to train them up in this.

I also don't participate in homeschool co-ops because I don't want to do any more than I am already doing. I am as busy as I want to be. I will pay for an experience -- Mad Science, Mariner's Museum Exploration Homeschool Class, swim lessons, and so on from time to time, but we run around enough as it is.

I finally decided that, if I wanted it done, I would just do it myself. When I wanted an event or field trip, I would plan it, and if people signed up, great.

Then, about a year and a half ago, I suddenly had no access to a car. And I noticed that we had very few field trips in our hs group. Now, I have a car, and I am back to planning everything. But I am fine with that--I make it when I want, I plan it the way I want, and I put in a little effort, but I know it is getting done, it is getting done correctly, and my daughter will enjoy it. I guess I could see it as frustrating, but I'd rather just see it as an opportunity for my daughter to have fun. Otherwise, she would just miss out.

Unfortunately, all the things we pay for still expect some volunteer work.

Well, I guess I am seeing two sorts of things here. One is an ad, say in the paper, for a homeschool session at a local museum. I stay with my boys and do assist because I want to learn too and because I don't like the idea of leaving them yet. But, when I pay the fee, I am paying for them to do the work, and they know it. I could actually leave and return to pick them up.

There's also something where there's a fee to reimburse the supplies the co-op person bought and perhaps the use of the building, but it's understood that it's something that requires the help of others.

I've never seen museums and private lessons require me to actually assist. These things, though, are usually more expensive. Those people are actually earning a paycheck.

Just wanted to add- on the subject of introverted people- Even if I'm not an introvert, it takes a strong person, sometimes, to keep a group under control. I hate being the one responsible for keeping everything fair- who started the fight, whose turn is it to clean up, who goes first, etc. And some of these kids are so SNEAKY! If the kids were more pleasant, we might get more volunteers. That's probably not the main reason, but I'm sure it plays a part.

I guess I'm thinking of things like swim team, where they want parents to be timers and to help coach. The thought of doing either of those things gives me hives. I've also been asked to help coach basketball and soccer (I know absolutely nothing about either of these things), both sports we pay for. It irritates me to think I'm paying for instruction and someone as ignorant as I am might be teaching my kid!

I don't know...it's easy to complain when I do volunteer a lot and other parents can't can't be bothered to help or even pick their kids up on time. Then I speak to my 80 year old grandmother, and she mentioned to me how she was impressed that I do so much and then started going on about how lazy some parents are and don't want to help, yada yada yada, and it gave me the impression she had these same complaints when she was a young mother. I was thinking it was just our generation that had people like that, but I guess human nature really doesn't change much through the years.

I've also been asked to help coach basketball and soccer (I know absolutely nothing about either of these things), both sports we pay for.

Eek -- I can see where you'd feel uncomfortable. Those are definitely things I'd outsource. I am pathetic at any team sports. No way would I help coach anything.

Sports are one of those things in general that I forgot about. Our oldest was in baseball, and it was so time-consuming. Raffles, carnival, selling candy, 2 practices a week, two games a week. I just cannot function like that. I like doing a little of this and that -- a play here, a pottery class there, a month of swim lessons, a class here. Thanks for reminding me of the horrors. :)

The other parents will always do a better job and they know it and they make sure I know it. But they are the super well-organized moms that can't understand an introvert for any reason (or won't even acknowledge they exist) and have no idea that their constant frustration about moms with entitlement issues simply makes those of us with social anxieties want to crawl in a hole and hide because we know we are not good enough anyway. It does not make us want to help out more.

i am an introvert. i know it can be intimidating to step up and be involved. i know moms who seem to have it all together and if i'm not cautious they can really. intimidate. me. are they doing so purposefully? i seriously doubt it. i know it is easy for me to perceive it that way though. it helps to remind myself that all eyes are *not* on me. everyone does not think they can do it better than me. the truth is that most everyone is happy to have some help.

after becoming close to a few of my now very good friends, i opened up to them about my feelings of shyness and my fear of "not being good enough." and do you know what each of them said? that they never would have guessed i felt that way. that i was so friendly. that i was *good* at organizing. me? really??? because i just don't feel that way. but i make the extra effort, put on a happy face, and put myself out there. i used to tell myself it was for my kids' sake, because i didn't want them to grow up as painfully shy as i did by mimicking my social behaviors. now i realize that i do it as much for my own sake as theirs. there is something very liberating in conquering this fear for me, and it has gotten markedly easier over the last few years.

what i'm saying is, give it a try already! :grouphug:

i am an introvert. i know it can be intimidating to step up and be involved. i know moms who seem to have it all together and if i'm not cautious they can really. intimidate. me. are they doing so purposefully? i seriously doubt it. i know it is easy for me to perceive it that way though. it helps to remind myself that all eyes are *not* on me. everyone does not think they can do it better than me. the truth is that most everyone is happy to have some help.

after becoming close to a few of my now very good friends, i opened up to them about my feelings of shyness and my fear of "not being good enough." and do you know what each of them said? that they never would have guessed i felt that way. that i was so friendly. that i was *good* at organizing. me? really??? because i just don't feel that way. but i make the extra effort, put on a happy face, and put myself out there. i used to tell myself it was for my kids' sake, because i didn't want them to grow up as painfully shy as i did by mimicking my social behaviors. now i realize that i do it as much for my own sake as theirs. there is something very liberating in conquering this fear for me, and it has gotten markedly easier over the last few years.

what i'm saying is, give it a try already! :grouphug:

I am an extrovert, and, honestly, I can say that I don't understand the world of an introvert. That doesn't mean that I can't try to be sympathetic and kind. And, while I posted above that I do just plan things on my own, if anyone ever offers to help (which hardly ever happens), I more than welcome it. When I have planned parties in the past, I have always asked for help. I am not overbearing, or at least I don't think so, and I try not to be pushy.

I have three siblings, and all of them are painfully shy--I was the "leader" in my family, even though I am the youngest--I took care of all of us, and I guess that is the role I am most comfortable in. But, if people don't let me know they want to participate, I will not seek them out, because I am not going to force anyone into a job they don't want.

I think it is wonderful that you have made the effort to participate, and I imagine it must have been terribly difficult. I know it would have been for my siblings, actually, it probably would have been impossible. And, speaking from my experience, the people in charge are probably much to busy to be judging anyone, and very grateful for any assistance offered. :D

And then there are us introverts with social anxieties that can't handle being around a group of people for any length of time and feel that no matter what we do it isn't going to be good enough. With us, it has nothing to do with "entitlement" and everything to do with having kids that want to participate in things that overwhelm mom.

Well said.

Personally, I'm not an introvert, but I *do* have issues, some of which simply make it impossible for me to make any commitment to *anything!* I do not lie well, so I don't even try, but I don't explain or defend myself, either. None of them understood that one day you're okay -- and the next day you aren't. It never fails that the day I'm supposed to "perform", I "aren't."

I have always offered to work behind the scenes -- fliers, baking, anything that doesn't involve having to interface with other people and *especially* people I don't know. But that was never good enough. Push, push, push until I just had to tell them to count me out -- period.

When my son was younger it was cub scouts and t-ball and on and on and on -- he wanted to be quite the "joiner" and I just am not. I tried to do it to be a "good mom" and only ended up making a mess of everything.

I am "coming out" now but only because I met a couple of people a few years ago who were willing to wait for me, who created a safe place for me to "try it out" and who don't judge at all when I fail miserably. They watch, but only to see if I might need help, not so they can roll their eyes and say, "Oh, there she goes again!"

It takes a LOT of people to run a swim meet. Swim teams really can't function without parents who are willing to act as timers and perform other tasks at swim meets. It's just the nature of the sport.

Our swim team requires parents to log a certain number of hours or pay $10 an hour for the hours they did not fulfill. It would get very expensive to not help as your child advances, since the more advanced the child, the more required hours.

Well, I guess I am seeing two sorts of things here. One is an ad, say in the paper, for a homeschool session at a local museum. I stay with my boys and do assist because I want to learn too and because I don't like the idea of leaving them yet. But, when I pay the fee, I am paying for them to do the work, and they know it. I could actually leave and return to pick them up.

There's also something where there's a fee to reimburse the supplies the co-op person bought and perhaps the use of the building, but it's understood that it's something that requires the help of others.

I've never seen museums and private lessons require me to actually assist. These things, though, are usually more expensive. Those people are actually earning a paycheck.

Here, where we live, we are required to 'donate' our time in athletic activities as well as pay for them. I can pay the $50 registration fee plus another $25 if I don't want to volunteer in some sort of capacity (i.e. travel soccer - line the fields, help coach, assist in fundraisers, drive players to games, etc.) I'm a mom of 5 who works out of the home plus dh already has a sports program that he manages. One of the reasons we stopped soccer was due to the extra cost involved due to the fact that we are both already spread so thin and thus couldn't volunteer, Those extra fees add up quick when you have more than one child who wants to play.

I don't know...it's easy to complain when I do volunteer a lot and other parents can't can't be bothered to help or even pick their kids up on time. Then I speak to my 80 year old grandmother, and she mentioned to me how she was impressed that I do so much and then started going on about how lazy some parents are and don't want to help, yada yada yada, and it gave me the impression she had these same complaints when she was a young mother. I was thinking it was just our generation that had people like that, but I guess human nature really doesn't change much through the years.

Thanks. It is good to know, I guess, that it has always been there. I just worry sometimes what type of adults these children will grow up to be.

I appreciate your honesty. People who are not comfortable leading something are not the people I would include in the "entitlement" mentality. I run our K to 5th grade children's ministries at our church and I have a lady that helps me with our Wednesday night program. She is an introvert but her worth to me is priceless!! She is a super organizer and gets everything - and I mean everything - together each and every week. She gets our games set up, sheets copied, supplies in the appropriate rooms and other things that help me so much. Her one request in order to help me was that I would not ask her to be in front of a group.

My point is that, though she is an introvert, she has chosen a way to help that is invaluable. The "entitlement" people I was speaking about are able to help, just think they shouldn't have to. Then, the minute they don't like something they fire off an email of a concern or gripe. It is kinda the same way I see politics - if you vote or volunteer you can voice your opinion. Otherwise, zip it or help out.

Please don't think I am trying to judge others on this board because I don't mean it that way. It just seems I am seeing more and more of this in all areas. I definitely think the ability to "electronically complain" makes this sort of personality bloom.

We're struggling with this with Scouts right now. Not only are parents declining to pay VERY large bills that they owe, they can't be bothered to see that their boy actually DOES THE WORK! I had a father whine (again) just last week how HIS boy is being left behind. Let's see, show up, with paperwork and projects done and your boy will advance too. Show up to the meeting and LISTEN during announcements lo and behold, you'll know what's going on too! Or read the website! Or read your emails! Every single Scout thing will have been communicated three ways. Here's a thought--show up before the actual event and help set up chairs! Or help clean up the kitchen! Oh no, it's MUCH more fun to sit and sneer and make comments under your breath about "How I'm not going to be a meddling parent". Show up late and complain when the group has started without you. Show up for ONE meeting and tell us all how we've done it wrong when we've been grappling with some huge problems for months. Sneer at the boys that HAVE earned lots of merit badges and it only reminds me how YOUR kid lied about the work he supposedly had done, wasting everyone's time.

Or complain how we "didn't know about the deadline for such and such a swim meet.". Let's see--read the board, check your email, check the website! So, now *I* have to spend long distance charges begging to put in a late entry and then get grumped at because you don't like the relays. Well, I can't count on your kid to be there for warm-up or even to show to the meet! Do that just once, and I'll be far less likely to make sure your kid is swimming that medley!

I'm over the entitlement mentality!

Why would a Scout have a large bill? Our Pack/Troop requires very little monetary output.