Menu

S/O Dresses....what length for over 50?

stephanier.1765

I'm 51 and have recently decided to wear dresses more often. Is there a length that is a no-no for those of us who are past our prime? I find the cutest ones at Goodwill but then I worry that I'm trying to look too young.

I think it depends a lot on body shape.  (except I wouldn't wear super mini skirt at my/your age)

Just above the knee is a good length for me.  But not might be if one had bigger knees.  If I go longer I find that mid calf looks horrible on me.....but longer....ankle length looks better.  

• Like 2

Agreeing that this depends on body type--and height.

I was thinking about this question of length not with regard to dresses but Capris.  I wear ankle pants or shorter summer skirts/skorts but think I look terrible in mid calf Capris.  Maybe that mid calf length is the problem...

My favorite skirt that I own is a ponte knit pencil skirt that is above the knees.  I wear it with tights.

• Like 3

Most flattering is always at the narrowest points of the legs- micro mini, just above & below the knee, or at the ankle to make legs look slimmest.

As for age-appropriate, I'm pretty sure Tina Turner still wears micro minis and looks gorgeous, so go by your own standards & assessment of how much you wish to show off.  I'm in my 30's and I find just below the knee to be most comfortable and flattering - short enough to still be chic, long enough to be comfortable even when I sit down & the skirt rides up.

• Like 3

I agree it depends on body shape.  My skirts range from mid-calf to a couple inches about the knee.  I have several summer knit skirts that are above the knee while the rest are longer.  My knees aren't too ugly yet.  I don't think it depends on your age.

However, no mini skirts or muumuus, for me.

• Like 2

Sorry, after fifty it's muumuu-ville. Something like this would look lovely. 

Dangit....one click and now Facebook is telling me to go buy muumuus.   

(On a related note, I did actually own one.  When I was 28 and very pregnant with youngest DD, I bought a soft, comfy one -- 2nd hand-- to labor in.  After the baby was born, I got cleaned up, and the midwife held up my messy muumuu and asked "but don't you want to take this home?" ....um....no thanks. :p)

• Like 7

Well that How to Not Look Old lady said almost everyone looks best with a skirt at or just above the knee. She said midi length was absolutely terrible. I tend to agree with this advice. I think a pencil skirt at the knee is fail-proof.

• Like 2

I'm 52.  I'm tall and have long legs.  What hits someone small at the knee hits me well above and it ain't pretty. 

I like my dresses/skirts to be just below or only a few inches below the knee (calf length).  That's the length that looks best on me.  I do not look good in those long, flowy maxi dresses either.   I'm not skinny enough to pull it off and it looks like a tent on someone my height. 

My preferred style is A line.

I'm 43 and think either right around/slightly below the knee or ankle length look best on me.  My legs are in good shape but when I put on a shorter skirt the words, "mutton dressed as lamb" come unbidden into my mind.  

That said, I recently saw a friend in her mid-50s pull off an above-the-knee sweaterdress with boots and she looked SPECTACULAR.  

I'm 51 and have recently decided to wear dresses more often. Is there a length that is a no-no for those of us who are past our prime? I find the cutest ones at Goodwill but then I worry that I'm trying to look too young.

More important than length is quality.  Fast fashion that's seen better days?  Skip it.  Classic looks in quality materials?  Always in fashion for any woman.

• Like 1

I'll be 53 next week, and I can't even imagine asking that question, or any that involves certain things being "okay" for me to wear, or "not okay" because of my age. 

Well, actually, I *can* imagine it because I did think like that when I was turning 40.  I bought a beaded jacket to wear to a formal event.  I never wore it again because it made me feel old, like I should be sporting silver blue hair.  It was an expensive mistake that I've tried not to repeat.

I wear dresses and skirts that feel fun and feminine.  One of my favorites is an ankle length silk broomstick skirt.  Another favorite is a swingy blue and white print that is about as long as my fingertips.  I also love my wrap-around gypsy skirt that falls about at my knees.  Why would I decide that one or the other is the wrong length?  I feel great in all of them!

• Like 4

I think it depends a lot more on your body shape and the cut of the skirt.  I tend to wear long skirts (ankle length) but ONLY if they are totally fitted in the waist/backside and then flare out from there.  A gathered long skirt makes one look like a wedding cake topper.  I have one long skirt that I got a a consignment store--it was a CABI flared skirt and that thing WALKS.  It's so much fun to wear.  Alas, CABI discontinued the product.  

I dislike the look of knee high boots where the skirt doesn't cover the top of the boot, so sue me.  I wear skirts that make me look like I want to look.  

I have a good figure, but I have bad skin and so I have to wear socks with everything and I *intensely* dislike the look of ankle socks so all my skirts are long enough to let me wear knee socks; they are longer than I would wear if my skin issues were to go away.  I would LIKE to wear mid-knee length because i have good legs.  :0)  And you can *walk* in them.  

I've seen 60yo women rock a very up-to-date look...but I've more often seen "nice try, but..."  So, no to the muu-muus and so on, but ... maybe get the look *together* to pull it off, and make sure it suits your body.  

I will wear knee-length when I get crepey legs that I personally want to cover up. Just like I wear a bikini with more coverage since I don't feel like having my stretch marks out there (at least, not all of them). Some women over 50 look amazing in minis. It's not about the number, it's about confidence and, of course, choosing appropriate, respectful attire.

I wouldn't wear a floofy white dress to a wedding and I wouldn't wear a mini skirt to a church if that's not how they do it. But that's not an age thing. It's a kindness thing.

I'll be 53 next week, and I can't even imagine asking that question, or any that involves certain things being "okay" for me to wear, or "not okay" because of my age.

Well, actually, I *can* imagine it because I did think like that when I was turning 40. I bought a beaded jacket to wear to a formal event. I never wore it again because it made me feel old, like I should be sporting silver blue hair. It was an expensive mistake that I've tried not to repeat.

I wear dresses and skirts that feel fun and feminine. One of my favorites is an ankle length silk broomstick skirt. Another favorite is a swingy blue and white print that is about as long as my fingertips. I also love my wrap-around gypsy skirt that falls about at my knees. Why would I decide that one or the other is the wrong length? I feel great in all of them!

I have no idea what a silk broomstick skirt is but I love the name. It sounds witchy and hip!

• Like 1

I wear mostly the same lengths I always did...

Right above the knee, lower-calf and ankle.  I usually only wear the lower-calf lengths with boots during the winter.  Above the knee usually just summer (or some special dresses).  Ankle I wear both seasons with whatever shoes fit the occasion/weather/outfit (boots, flip flops, dressy shoes).

I gravitate to the longer dresses in both seasons, because shaving status is then a non-issue ;)

Well, actually, I *can* imagine it because I did think like that when I was turning 40. I bought a beaded jacket to wear to a formal event. I never wore it again because it made me feel old, like I should be sporting silver blue hair. It was an expensive mistake that I've tried not to repeat.

I wear dresses and skirts that feel fun and feminine. One of my favorites is an ankle length silk broomstick skirt. Another favorite is a swingy blue and white print that is about as long as my fingertips. I also love my wrap-around gypsy skirt that falls about at my knees. Why would I decide that one or the other is the wrong length? I feel great in all of them!

Yep, I consult the mirror. Body shape beats age . I tend to wear swingy maxi-ish casual summer dresses but will go quite above the knee in more formal things. I do always wear dark tights or leggings if my legs show because while I look pretty good I have varicose veins so....again consult the mirror.

What ever makes you look and feel happy, pretty, flirty, sporty.  It really depends on you and the dress or skirt.  Find some that you love and if they need tailoring...have it done.

I find the new no hose necessary freedom easier and more fun for less dressy times.  (It's also less hot and horrible here in the summer to slip on a dress or skirt.)

• Like 1

Thanks everyone. Lots of opinions, many of them funny. Basically, and I should have said this at the start, I'm looking for something to wear in lieu of shorts while running errands or going out to lunch. Even though I've lived in Florida almost all my life, I still get too hot wearing anything more than shorts unless it's for a special occasion. Sometimes though I want to look a little nicer yet still keep the cool feel so I was thinking about easy to pull on short dresses. Not too short, no butt hangings for me, but short enough to keep me cool. I just don't want to look like an old lady trying too hard. You all have convinced to throw that thought right out the window. :)

• Like 6

Thanks everyone. Lots of opinions, many of them funny. Basically, and I should have said this at the start, I'm looking for something to wear in lieu of shorts while running errands or going out to lunch. Even though I've lived in Florida almost all my life, I still get too hot wearing anything more than shorts unless it's for a special occasion. Sometimes though I want to look a little nicer yet still keep the cool feel so I was thinking about easy to pull on short dresses. Not too short, no butt hangings for me, but short enough to keep me cool. I just don't want to look like an old lady trying too hard. You all have convinced to throw that thought right out the window. :)

I've heard denim jumpers are all the rage!  :D  

Have you looked at those sporty, stretchy skorts?  They have several in the Sahali catalog.  I was just looking through the Sahali catalog, actually, and they have lots of skirts in lots of lengths in lots of fabric choices.  None of them look to "young", yet most are quite attractive.  I have ordered from Sahali many times, and their clothes is well made and reasonably priced (though I wish their pants were a little longer...)

Go to www.sahali.com and look up these:

Sassafras Skirt

Nostalgic Pull-on Skirt

Stretch Floral Lace Dress

Little Best Print Dress

Class Act Knit Skort

Blank Canvas Woven Dress

Undress Midi Dress

Chic Batik Dress

4-Pocket Freedom Skort

and many more!  

• Like 1

I've heard denim jumpers are all the rage!   :D

Have you looked at those sporty, stretchy skorts?  They have several in the Sahali catalog.  I was just looking through the Sahali catalog, actually, and they have lots of skirts in lots of lengths in lots of fabric choices.  None of them look to "young", yet most are quite attractive.  I have ordered from Sahali many times, and their clothes is well made and reasonably priced (though I wish their pants were a little longer...)

Go to www.sahali.com and look up these:

Sassafras Skirt

Nostalgic Pull-on Skirt

Stretch Floral Lace Dress

Little Best Print Dress

Class Act Knit Skort

Blank Canvas Woven Dress

Undress Midi Dress

Chic Batik Dress

4-Pocket Freedom Skort

and many more!  

You have really great taste! I loved many of your examples, especially the Batik Dress. Despite the reviews I may just have to get it.

I'm 48 and this is my favorite summer skirt to wear in lieu of shorts. I have it in several colors. The fabric and the little flounce at the bottom keep me cool. I can even hike in it. I've found them cheaper at Sierra Trading Post and on Ebay.

That looks seriously comfortable! Thanks for the hint on where to find them cheaper.

I am over 50 and in OK shape. I try to wear shorts, skirts, and dresses at the knee or just below. If it is a skort I consider mid thigh OK. As much as I would love to wear Title 9 clothes, I think it looks like I am trying too hard. I guess it's time to toss those strappy dress for more tank coverage. The arm jiggle is annoying.