Menu

Would WS Apprentice be too easy? Would AG be too hard?

lanabug

My 4th grader is doing Treasured Conversations this year. We will finish it this week and then move into The Most Wonderful Writing Lessons Ever to finish out the year.  

Would WS Apprentice be too easy for her next year?  She is somewhat of a reluctant writer, especially when it comes to open-ended fiction prompts, but has made great leaps and bounds with the outlining in TC.

Also, what are your thoughts on putting a 5th grader in the regular Analytical Grammar?  My dd has completed FLL 1-4 and seems to catch on quickly to grammar.  I was originally thinking to put her in the junior version but wonder if it might be more advantageous to go slowly through AG.

Lana

I don't know where a kid leaves off after TC or TMWWLE.

WA starts with grammar exercises, covers a wide variety of writing types, and gently works up to the DC writing their own column/basic essay by the end of the book. A more savvy writer could finish it in less than a typical school year. Wordsmith could chase it easily enough, but it's not as entertaining as WA.

My rather reluctant writer used it in 5th grade quite successfully. His next step was a vintage book; I think it was Maxwell's School Composition. Writing and Rhetoric may be a good option for yours if she doesn't mind some fiction flavor.

On grammar, I would consider your long term plans and how much review your DC needs to keep things fresh. JAG will be completed in 11 weeks if done daily; I think JAG mechanics is around the same size. AG can be completed in one year for an older kid, or their more intended path of doing one short season for three consecutive years and just review beyond that.

My preference with my kids is to spread grammar throughout grades 1-8 to keep comprehension fresh, and have it "done" by high school. Some years were grammar heavy, and others we just reviewed with an Evan-Moor Daily Language Review. Different kids have different needs. One DC needed to treat it more like math, steady plodding every year. DD/5th (precocious) will have completed some R&S English 6, JAG (not vol 2) and some AG by the end of this school year. Her test scores are always in the 90's, and she applies it well enough to her writing that it isn't forgotten after breaks. I plan to have her use about a season of AG a year until it's done and let grammar go.

Thank you for your insight, it was very helpful. CAP W&R is another I'm strongly considering, but the price of WS really appeals! :)  I do think my dd needs continual review of grammar for now.  My hope is to have her well grounded in grammar by 8th grade and focus strictly on composition from there on out.  I think I'll wait another year on Analytical Grammar and go with Hake grammar this year.  

Lana