Menu

s/o Pooh and tears: what books reliably make you cry?

fdrinca

Charlotte's Web for sure.

The most recent was one of the Little House books.  The one where Pa goes to work and they don't hear from him for a long time and he finally sends a letter and Ma cries her eyes out.

I had to put the book down and walk away.  DS was so bewildered. :laugh:

• Like 1

I'm another sad to happy crier. I still do plenty of reading aloud for my teens and they expect it. I can feel their anticipatory eyes on me!

I cannot read these words from To Kill a Mockingbird without my voice cracking:

"Miss Jean Louise, stand up. Your father's passin'". 

• Like 6

Oh yes! I cry like a baby when when read An Orange for Frankie at Christmas. My mother was so mean - she laughed at me about it and then was like, stop reading your children such depressing and bad books. Sigh.

An Orange for Frankie makes me bawl too.  

The Giver -- doesn't make me cry, but it makes me feel physically ill.  I don't care how many people like it, or how many other good books she wrote (okay, Number The Stars made me cry too, but I loved it); that, and The Lottery, are two things that make me feel so ill that I refuse to make my children read them. 

The Green Mile made me cry also.  And then we saw it in the theater, and I knew what was coming, and I just completely lost it, burying my face in DH's shoulder and just sobbing.

And I see that another poster mentioned A Little Princess.  Yup.  Book, any of the movies, doesn't matter.

• Like 1

An Orange for Frankie makes me bawl too.  

The Giver -- doesn't make me cry, but it makes me feel physically ill.  I don't care how many people like it, or how many other good books she wrote (okay, Number The Stars made me cry too, but I loved it); that, and The Lottery, are two things that make me feel so ill that I refuse to make my children read them. 

The Green Mile made me cry also.  And then we saw it in the theater, and I knew what was coming, and I just completely lost it, burying my face in DH's shoulder and just sobbing.

And I see that another poster mentioned A Little Princess.  Yup.  Book, any of the movies, doesn't matter.

I cried during the VeggieTales version of this.   :lol:

• Like 2

Oh! I forgot about Christmas Tapestry--it's the one about the boy and his pastor father who buy a tapestry to cover a damaged wall in their new church, and they end up meeting some people who were survivors of the Holocaust. I won't tell more so I don't ruin the ending, but oh man, it triggers the waterworks every year. If you haven't read it, it's a beautiful story, even if you're not religious. 

• Like 1

Charlotte's Web

Velveteen Rabbit

The Miraculous Journey of Edward Tulane

Anne of Green Gables (Matthew!)

the last Chapter in Cheaper By the Dozen, and first chapter in Belle on Their Toes (sequel to Cheaper, Mom raises the kids...)

the Best Christmas Pageant Ever (laugh and cry!)

Sadako and the Thousand Paper Cranes (I read it aloud because I thought it would be too sad for the kids to read on their own...THEY were fine, I sobbed the whole book)

How Green Was My Valley (gets me every time...)

The Hiding Place (Corrie Ten Boom)

• Like 2

I never could do a "Where the Red Fern Grows," read-aloud with my kids because I would get teary and choke up when the old man was on the front porch just starting to tell the story. To this day, I can't read it aloud. I read that book a hundred times as a kid, and it still makes me cry to this day.

• Like 1

I couldn't remember the name of that book.  Yes, I remember crying over it too.  My copy had this cover.

I own that copy.  Had completely forgotten about it.  I remember crying and crying.

A Christmas Tapestry and An Orange for Frankie - every single time I read them I cry.

I just reread The Hiding Place with my dd.  We were both crying.

Beautiful Joe

Old Yeller

Beyond the Willows

For movies Shenandoah and Dr. Zhivago always make me cry.

eta:  Bridge to Terabithia - read that aloud once and never again

Edited by Ishki
  • Like 1

A lot makes me cry. That's why I'm sticking with mysteries right now.

A Tale of Two Cities.  Just reread.  <snif>

Charlotte's Web

Unbroken-read it to ds when he was about 12-wow

The Old Grandfather and His Grandson-it's a Grimm's Fairy Tale that always makes me cry

• Like 1

I own that copy.  Had completely forgotten about it.  I remember crying and crying.

A Christmas Tapestry and An Orange for Frankie - every single time I read them I cry.

I just reread The Hiding Place with my dd.  We were both crying.

Beautiful Joe

Old Yeller

Beyond the Willows

For movies Shenandoah and Dr. Zhivago always make me cry.

eta:  Bridge to Terabithia - read that aloud once and never again

I first read this when I was 10 and loved it!! I've never met anyone else who has read it. :) and I cried, too.

I remember one winter when my husband was reading aloud quite a bit in the evenings and he read Rascal, then Old Yeller, then Where the Red Fern Grows and we were all so tired of crying that the girls announced No More! The Little House books made us cry a bit a various times. Pooh - only at the end.

I cried every time I read The Door in the Wall but that one has made me cry since childhood. My children were unmoved lol.

Someone upthread mentioned The Lantern Bearers - I have never read it aloud but I cry every time I read it.

Recently, Connie Willis' Blackout/All Clear. Oh. my daughters and I heart Mike!

Lots of scenes in books make me cry.  Some more than others.  Harry Potter, LOTR, tons of children's books, (yes you you Velveteen Rabbit you).

Every time I re-read Harry Potter and cry over certain scenes, dh doesn't get it, he's like, you know what happened already and I tell him to shut it because it never gets less sad! ;)

Someone finally mentioned Little Women, which is  my #1 memorable cry.

I am so happy to know that so many of you have Little Match Girl on your list... I read that story over and over again as a child... I can only imagine to *make* myself cry, because why else would I have done it? I still have the tear-stained book.

In agreement with everyone who said Harry Potter (all of them...), Charlotte's Web, and every other read aloud we have ever done. Dot said it... I usually hand it off to a kid at that point. They know me and are not surprised.