Menu

Suggestions for Latin after completing GSWL?

icngirl119

My kids have been doing Lively Latin after GSWL. I am loving it because it's got some overlap/review of GSWL, but it's presented differently so it's not boring. And they can do it pretty much independently, and it includes so much history and English vocabulary and even sentence diagramming.... it's a great support for our curriculum. Our plan is to go to Latin Alive after Lively Latin.

• Like 1

We loved GSWL - who knew? 

Age? If your student is 12ish (or older) I really liked Latin Prep as a follow-up.  For my 10 year old I was on the fence but decided on Lively Latin instead.  I still like Latin Prep better because it seems more mature, but Lively Latin is working for us right now because DS does it mostly independently.  I'm kind of having him work at his own pace this year before enrolling him in an online latin course next year.

• Like 1

For 4th grade or so, I'd go with Latin's Not So Tough, starting with either Level 3 or Level 4.  Level 3 has no new grammar but some new vocabulary; Level 4 gets into new grammar, but if you start there, you may not know all of the vocabulary right away.  Either way is fine, IMO.

For a slightly older student, I'd go with Latin Alive 1.  We just started that with DD (8th grade), after going through Latin's Not So Tough (well, we were halfway through Level 6; she's bored with it).  The first several chapters, at least, are review, but there's culture and history and reading mixed in as well.

• Like 1