Menu

Any current RC Connecting with HIstory users here?

Meadowlark

I've read some old threads about this history curriculum, and they were not favorable mostly because of disjointedness and disorganization. I've heard that they've revamped it a bit and taken care of some of those issues, but I want to hear from someone who uses it and likes it. Could you please review it for me? I'd be using volume 2 beginner and grammar levels. 

I use it and like it. I don't feel that the current vision is disorganized, but you do need to put in some planning time to make it open and go. There are lesson plans available now. I bought the plans for volume 2, but ended up doing my own planning anyway. The lesson plans put all the reading in the first part of the unit, and the second half of the unit is used for writing, further exploration, and projects. I found that I like to have things dispersed more evenly in terms of input/output.

My basic routine is to present the overview section to the kids, work with the vocab words, and talk about the discussion prompts. Then we do the core reading and map work for the first topic followed by supplemental nonfiction and literature selections. Then we move to the next topic, doing core reading/map then supplemental non fiction and literature. Before I begin each Unit I look through for any projects or crafts I want to do and just slot them in after the core reading/map work for that topic. I also tweak a lot. I have a great library system so we find lots of cool stuff to add in. In volume 2 we added in most of the nest dvd bible stories.

We are in volume 3 right now, and I plan to buy what's available for 4 next year. Now that I found my groove I probably won't use the lesson plans, but it was helpful at first. If you purchase the lesson plans for volume 2, be aware that it is not a full 36 weeks. I think it was around 26-28 iirc. We used the extra time for a prehistory study.

There is not really a good spine for kids on the young side of beginner for volumes 1-3. I used sotw 1 and parts of 2 for that. As you can see, I am putting in the planning time with this program, but I am happy with what we are getting out of it. It's also pretty inexpensive if you are just buying the guide. I get most of the secular books from the library, so my book cost is really only the religious books.

Edited by Syllieann

It's my understanding that they have revamped volumes 1-3 with lesson plans to make it more streamlined.

The point in the history rotation we were in (American) is the reason we didn't use RC. The American portion of volume 4 isn't completed, with no estimated date of completion that I know of, and it looks like the Modern World portion of volume 4 has been shelved completely, so we decided against using it.