Menu

Webster's spelling or something similar

MistyMountain

My ds struggled quite a bit learning to read but is doing much better. He still cannot read up to his interest level and even told me recently he wants to be able to read harder books. His instructional level is probably around 3rd or 4th grade level and his independent is lower. He does not read much independently yet. I am considering using Don Potter's version of Webster's reading and spelling but I was wondering if anything that is affordable and easy to use that can get to a higher decoding level is out there. My older dd has been at the same level for quite a while which is above grade level but I was thinking of using it with her too. This will be used in the summer. My kids go to school but I will work in stuff with them thus summer.

Edited by MistyMountain

I tried those videos once and he complained about them being boring. I do like the resources on her site though and I know she has a version of Webster's on there but I was hoping to work through it in a book format with some explanation.

Thy are boring! On purpose, too!! The target audience is an older remedial student who wants to quickly move up and does not want anything babyish. Webster is actally a bit faster if you move at their pace. Also, it takes a lot more time to be entertaining and/or interesting, it is more effecient to be boring. I have some youtube videos now that are mildly entertaining and they take about 10 to 20 times longer to make and 4 to 5 times longer to transmit information than my lessons.

There is almost no information about how to use Webster in the book itself--if you saw it taught every year for 6 or 8 years in a one room school, no need for instructions.

• Like 2

Here is my webster youtube video.

You can use Don's book of Webster with my guide on my well taught student page, work through the things on there going quickly through one syllable words and then do the multisyllable Webster sections.

Megawords and Marcia Henry's words also work on multisyllable words but are more expensive and not as effecient as Webster, although Words also does some root study and a bit of spelling and Megawords focuses more on spelling.

Sophris West rewards is a good efficient multisyllable program that is designed for dyslexic students, but it is a bit over $100 and not as thorough as Webster.

Edited by ElizabethB
  • Like 1

I missed that thread. I found the guide. Hopefully that and the schwa video will help. I still might come to something's I will not know how to explain. I will do the syllables with my youngest dd before doing Don Potter or Phonics Pathways but I think she might need to run through LiPS too to hear the difference between the digraphs better and a few other things. She did struggle with y and u and is doing better hearing the short u sound at least.

Edited by MistyMountain
  • Like 1

My spelling rules explain when long u is yoo vs. oo at the end, the last page.

http://www.thephonicspage.org/On%20Reading/Resources/spelling%20rules1.pdf

Also, you will want to use the phonivisual charts with her, their arrangement by sound is very helpful for anyone with some underlying speech difficulties.

Can you link to the charts you are talking about, please? I have a feeling they could be very helpful for my oldest.

Thank you!

Phonovisual Link

https://archive.org/details/phonovisualmetho00scho

Page 10 and 30. You can print them out, and also make several copies and with one, cut out and spell and read words with the letters. You can also buy color versions, the small charts are good for homeschool use, they come in a pack of 12.

https://www.phonovisual.com/products.php?c=1

Don Potter has a YouTube video showing how to use them.

Edited by ElizabethB