Menu

Which five classics would you say...

Ginevra

"All adults should have read this in his or her life"? I'm using a little bit looser definition of "classic"; i.e., I won't quibble if you say the first Harry Potter, or The Magician's Nephew. :)

At some point this year, I want to read a classic that I never read and I want to choose well.

I'll just list some of my favorites (& of course a few more than five)....

Dracula by Bram Stoker

The Count of Monte Cristo by Alexandre Dumas

Slaughterhouse-Five by Kurt Vonnegut

The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde by Robert Louis Stevenson

Heart of Darkness by Joseph Conrad

The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald

The Razor's Edge by W. Somerset Maugham

The Ways of White Folks by Langston Hughes 

For quite modern classics, I'd suggest:

No Country for Old Men by Cormac McCarthy

The Remains of the Day by Kazuo Ishiguro

Edited by Stacia
  • Like 6

I think it really really depends on both the cultural identity and nationality of the person and on things like gender, personality, religion, even profession.  

DH and I share a generation (we're early millennials), a cultural identity, a race, a nationality, and religion (we're not religious but not atheists).  Still, the differences between us in gender and in self mean that my 5 books and his might overlap by one author (Shakespeare) or *maybe* two (Lao Tsu) - he might not even agree about Lao Tsu.

So all that to say, I dunno.  I guess for me, off the top of my head, at this point in my life

Tao Te Ching

Lear

Jane Eyre

Earthsea Trilogy (the Tao fictionalized, I guess)

not sure about the 5th

For DH, it would be

Ulysses

Sartor Resartus (Carlyle)

Will to Believe (essay by William James)

I Ching

(edited 4/10 as he told me these were the ones and there were only 4 :) )

eta: DH would put Huck Finn in place of the I Ching, maybe, and definitely in place of the Tao.

I have never been able to get through Ulysses, Sartor Resartus, or Huck Finn, and Notes from Underground (which I thought would be on his list) was a *huge* effort.  I cannot see ever persuading DH to read, much less enjoy, Jane Eyre. :)

Edited by ananemone
  • Like 4

Journey to the Center of the Earth

Taming of the Shrew

Oliver Twist

The Prince

The Art of War

Atlas Shrugged

Mere Christianity

The Adventure of Tom Sawyer

Hmmm that is more than 5 but I tried to put some variety in there.

The Prince was just recommended by a friend because we were talking about politics. I have wanted to read Atlas Shrugged for a few years. Have never read 1984 and thought that was a possibility.

I have read Dracula and Anna Karenina. Also read Jane Eyre. Have read Tom Sawyer.

• Like 1

I think most Americans have To Kill a Mockingbird and Romeo and Juliet in high school. 

I am reading To Kill A Mockingbird now with 8th graders; it is really so well done. I still want to play Scout, Jem, and Dill. (do not want to live in Maycomb County, Alabama during the depression though)

• Like 2

Dickens - most of his famous ones would work.  I would not choose Bleak House, though.

How about something by Pearl S. Buck?  A little different from the ones mentioned above.

I didn't like most of those futuristic ones like 1984 etc.  Not enough human warmth and romance.  Maybe they are more of guy books.

I did like more of the romantic ones written by women.

I enjoyed reading the works of Aristotle and Plato etc. in college.

A lot of the ones listed above were read by me when I was a teen or even younger.  So I don't necessarily view them as grown-up classics.  Maybe I should re-read them and see if I missed much due to youth.

• Like 1

I don't know that there are any that everyone "should" have read because I don't know that everyone gets literature in a way that makes it life lesson worthy or anything. I think the five most influential on me personally would be

Les miserables

Either Anna Karenina or war and peace but not both

Tkam

Middlemarch

north and south

• Like 2

Cry, the beloved country

The Great Gatsby

The Count of Monte Cristo

anything by Shakespeare, Mark Twain, the Bronte sisters and Jane Austen

DS16 is reading Cry, The Beloved Country right now in English. (Or more likely, he is stumbling through it and getting intermittent interpretations from his teacher. :D He is not my literature buff kid.)

A few years ago, I read every Jane Austen book, I think. I love Jane Austen.

• Like 1

My list:

Animal Farm (substitute other dystopian)

Puddinhead Wilson (substitute other subtle satire dealing with social issues, preferably by Twain.)

Lost Horizon (substitute other Utopian)

The Foundation Trilogy (Substitute other cerebral science fiction that imagines the future of humanity)

Curtain (substitute other classic mystery that delves into the nature of evil)

• Like 1

Les Miserables

To Kill A Mockingbird

Something by Dickens

Tolstoy or Dostoyevsky

The Metamorphosis

Iliad or Odyssey

Dante or Machiavelli

Sorry, I know that's too many.

I did just read a good bit of The Iliad because I was helping DS struggle through it for English.

I also read large portions of Les Miserables in French when I was taking French in college.

• Like 1

My list:

Animal Farm (substitute other dystopian)

Puddinhead Wilson (substitute other subtle satire dealing with social issues, preferably by Twain.)

Lost Horizon (substitute other Utopian)

The Foundation Trilogy (Substitute other cerebral science fiction that imagines the future of humanity)

Curtain (substitute other classic mystery that delves into the nature of evil)

Oh! This is funny! I just read the first Foundation book because it was my book club selection! That was definitely never on my radar screen until the book club.

• Like 1

For sheer power to move: Gulag Archipelago.

I slogged through War and Peace a few years ago and was better for it.

I would say that Tolkien's masterpiece Lord of the Rings is a classic for me. The Silmarillion is really neat.

I really appreciated Mark Twain more after reading through his essays.

Villette by Bronte. Just wow.

Don Quixote. So worth it at the end.

More than five, but maybe a little bit of a different list.

• Like 3

I'm about 80% of the way through War & Peace. I got inspired by the mini series, and finally made myself try it. I've been thoroughly surprised at how much I've enjoyed it. I can't believe I let its reputation put me off for so long. I will say that I did have to do some Googling on the Napoleonic wars to understand some of the context.

Others that have stuck with me through the years

Of Mice & Men --Steinbeck

Huckleberry Finn-- Twain (though I feel like it gets sooo convoluted toward the end, when Tom Sawyer gets involved. I have no patience for TS)

The House of Mirth--Wharton

Jane Eyre --Bronte

Pride & Prejudice/Sense & Sensibility --Austen

Crime & Punishment --Dostoyevsky

Ruth --Elizabeth Gaskell. One of her lesser known works, but I thoroughly adore it.

Middlemarch--Eliot

Anything by Thomas Hardy

The Woman in White/The Moonstone --Collins (they're just fun)

• Like 1

The Prince was just recommended by a friend because we were talking about politics. I have wanted to read Atlas Shrugged for a few years. Have never read 1984 and thought that was a possibility.

I have read Dracula and Anna Karenina. Also read Jane Eyre. Have read Tom Sawyer.

Atlas Shrugged has a very strong philosophical POV, informed (imo) largely by the fact that Ayn Rand never had kids. Not a terrible book, and has some good ideas, but ultimately kind of depressing and unrelatable.  

1984 -also depressing, but prescient and worth a read.  Homage to Catalonia was his best, though.

• Like 1

I'm not one for "should read" book lists, but the 5 that come to mind are:

Never Let Me Go by Ishiguro

Kristin Lavransdatter by Sigrid Undset

Things Fall Apart by Chinua Achebe

A Tale of Two Cities? The Count of Monte Cristo?

Crime and Punishment by Dostoyevsky

Man, this is too hard.  There are SO many I still want to read that would probably be squished in there!  lol

• Like 2

Flowers for Algernon is just a novella I think, but something about that book has haunted me my whole life. I think it teaches such a great lesson about how we treat people based on how smart we think they are. Does "being smart" matter? Does it really mean anything? Are we different inside based on our IQs? What makes us, us?

• Like 4

Flowers for Algernon is just a novella I think, but something about that book has haunted me my whole life. I think it teaches such a great lesson about how we treat people based on how smart we think they are. Does "being smart" matter? Does it really mean anything? Are we different inside based on our IQs? What makes us, us?

Oh I read that as a teen and it's definitely haunting and so sad.
  • Like 1

Moby Dick (Melville)

Sister Carrie (Dreiser)

The Golden Bowl (James)

All the King's Men (Warren)

Buddenbrooks (Mann)

100 Years of Solitude (Garcia-Marquez)

The Trial (Kafka) 

Tin Drum (Grass)

Crime and Punishment (Dostoevsky)

Cancer Ward (Solzhenitsyn) 

• Like 2

A work from Aristotle, Plato, or Socretes (I preferred Plato)

Shakespeare

English Romantic Poetry (fan of Lord Byron)

An author of the Harlem Renaissance (I liked Zora Hurston)

George Orwell (I loved Animal Farm)

I would also making your list 6 titles and looking for a non-Caucasian title like Black Boy (Wright), House on Mango Street (Cisneros), The Bluest Eye (Morrison) or The Woman Warrior (Kingston).

• Like 1

Oh...there are so many more than five.

Dickens definitely, Lord Byron, Shelby, "Trent's last case," (a classic in my book), Jane Austen, Bronte sisters, Lucy Maud Montgomery, Dorothy L. Sayers' Lord Peter Wimsey series, John Donne and more.  :lol:

If you like discourse on philosophy,  Plato's writings about Socrates, and the Socratic method, and The Republic.

Edited by Liz CA
  • Like 1

Have you had a taste of Dorothy L. Sayers yet? If not, I would go there first. Collins is fun and nowadays his books are considered classics. The Prisoner of Zenda is another fun one.

Edited by Liz CA
  • Like 1

I'm not one for "should read" book lists, but the 5 that come to mind are:

Never Let Me Go by Ishiguro

Kristin Lavransdatter by Sigrid Undset

Things Fall Apart by Chinua Achebe

A Tale of Two Cities? The Count of Monte Cristo?

Crime and Punishment by Dostoyevsky

Man, this is too hard. There are SO many I still want to read that would probably be squished in there! lol

I read Kristin Lavransdatter a few years ago; it was recommended to me by a friend who is a college lecturer. :)

Hmmm. five, only five. That's harsh :D .

I guess I would be inclined to want to read from specific time periods.

Ancients - Epic of Gilgamesh or The Odyssey

Medieval - Beowulf

Renaissance - Shakespeare - Hamlet and Macbeth since two plays is still less reading than one novel.

Early Moderns - The Scarlet Letter

Modern - To Kill a Mockingbird or something like The Diary of Anne Frank, The Hiding Place

I don't like leaving out many volumes - Dante's Inferno, Plutarch (Lives of the Romans), Song of Roland, Tennyson, Poe, Uncle Tom's Cabin, more Shakespeare, A Tale of Two Cities, The Canterbury Tales, A Christmas Carol, ...

But definitely the Ernest Hemingway novels can be left OFF the list. ;)

• Like 1

I like FaithManor's list a lot. It's incredibly hard to pick, because it depends on the purpose of reading them. I'm going to assume I'm suggesting books to an adult who never got much of a classical education and wants to be culturally literate in America. I'd say: 

To Kill A Mockingbird

Animal Farm or Fahrenheit 451

Something JRR Tolkien, either the trilogy or the Hobbit if three books is too much 

Shakespeare's sonnets, or a selection thereof (I think they're easier to work through)

Uncle Tom's Cabin or The Diary of Anne Frank 

Ah me too!  Connie Willis, right?  (Unless we are talking about a different Doomsday Book).  Did you read Passage?  That is my favorite of hers, and one of my favorite books (hard to recommend since it is so niche, though)

Yep, Connie Willis  I haven't read Passage.  I like To Say Nothing of the Dog.  I'm not usually a fan of Science Fiction, although I'll read some Heinlein.  The Doomsday Book was so good and started my interest in the Middle Ages.  I was never a history fan until well into my adult years.  I'd never given much thought to the middle ages before this book.  I'll find Passage and give it a try.

• Like 1

Books that came to mind:

Grapes of Wrath (depression-era USA)

We Wish To Inform You That Tomorrow We Will Be Killed With Our Families (Rwandan genocide)

The Mind's I (philosophical sci-fi-ish short stories)

No Blade of Grass (early apocalyptic sci-fi (1956), *all* grasses succumb to a virus in post WWII world - set in UK)

Can't think of a 5th at the moment

How are we defining "classic" here? Even loosely defined gives a lot of leeway!

I'm working my way through Romance of the Three Kingdoms right now. It's slow going, but fairly enjoyable, so let's add that to your list.

I'm also reading my way through a graphic novel adaptation of the Ramayana this year in preparation for reading the real thing, so that's number two.

And then for modern classics... oh, gosh. Let's say Maus, One Hundred Years of Solitude, The City and the City, and the entire Discworld ouvre except those early books I don't like.

Edited by Tanaqui

I think it really really depends on both the cultural identity and nationality of the person and on things like gender, personality, religion, even profession.

I agree with this 100%. As a Boston-bred, prep school kid transplanted to the Deep South for all of my adulthood, To Kill a Mockingbird was a profound read for me. I first read it at 40. I'm sure for others it wouldn't make their list. A Separate Peace resonated with me as a teen, but again, likely others wouldn't care about it. The sailing books by Tristan Jones were so impacting for me, but certainly not a "classic".

I also love the idea of reading other's lists - especially ones that are from profoundly different backgrounds as me rather than there being One List.

• Like 3