Menu

Dragonbox Numbers - Nooms vs. C-Rods

anabelneri

Hello!

I'd love to know if I'm just crazy or if anyone else has had this issue.  My nearly-3yo loves playing Dragonbox Numbers, which is great.  So I pulled out our c-rods today, and told him that the little white rods (ones) were Unu (that's the name of the Nooms who are ones).  In the game, the Unus are light purple.  After about 30 minutes, he declared that our c-rods are the wrong color, and that the white rods need to be purple.

I'm considering spray painting them.  Am I crazy?

Taking a deep breath,

Anabel

Do it. C-rods are amazing and I would hate for him to miss out on them just because he wants them to be the same color. It's a reasonable expectation! Thanks to C-rods my 5 year old understands all 4 operations, fractions, place value and I recently used the rods to explain the length of pregnancy and why he doesn't get a baby brother yet. They're so awesome.

I can't be the only person wanting to know how c rods explained this

Slache, we need a video explanation! LOL

:laugh: He knows that a month is usually 4 weeks, or 4 church days, and I had 4 months left so I got out a 9 and a 5 and they're sitting together on the shelf so he can add a white one every 4 weeks. Like this:

_________

_____

Thanks for your thread y'all.  I had Algebra 5+ and Elements on my phone, but Numbers was on his grandma's phone.  I had forgotten about it.  He's been playing for about 30 minutes now.  

If you paint them, will you use Miquon/Gattegno with the painted c-rods or will you just use the c-rods as manipulatives for other maths?  I think it could be a bit confusing to use different colored rods doing Miquon/Gattegno as written, but I have yet to get to deep into reading the texts.

I'm one of those people who can't resist messing with curriculum, and who has enough computer skills to make this work.  I've already changed the colors on the pre-Miquon booklet that someone had linked to in another thread.

I've had Miquon before, and I've been too ADHD to be able to make it work.  Given my little guy's growing sense of numbers using the c-rods, I might look at it again.  

I'm hoping to put up pictures at some point.  

:)

Anabel

Edited by anabelneri
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Update: I'm halfway done painting the c-rods, and generally they are great.  The sprayer I linked to above didn't work out for me, so I've gone to little crafter bottles of spray paint.  My little dude has had Unu and Duo visit various locations in the house, and they've made friends with the Doctor and traveled in both a rocketship and in the Tardis.  I think we're doing well with them.

:)

• Like 4

• 1 month later...

Question about the 100 blocks:  Are they from a base ten set?  Is there a 100 in Numbers that I've not yet seen?

I really like your tackle box method for sorting your rods.  Do you use Gattegno or Miquon?  If so, has the color change interfered much?

Question about the 100 blocks:  Are they from a base ten set?  Is there a 100 in Numbers that I've not yet seen?

I really like your tackle box method for sorting your rods.  Do you use Gattegno or Miquon?  If so, has the color change interfered much?

The 100 blocks are random blocks I have around, not from a set.  They don't have them in Numbers, but they happen to live in the box.

I love the tackle box too.  I do wish they could be in order, but it works out fine.

Miquon didn't work for me, though Gattegno looks compelling.  My two older kids are beyond that level of math, while my youngest isn't quite there yet.  I have some time to figure out a plan :)