Menu

Serger questions

happi duck

Short version:

Do sergers all cost $300+? Is a basic model worth owning? Any recommendations regarding getting a better deal on a decent machine?

Longer version:

I am inspired by daysforgirls.org (shared in recent tampon thread) to sew reusable pads to donate.

The instructions specify that only a serger can be used for a certain step.

I am considering buying a serger to use for this and other projects.

Searching online it seems that sergers are all $300+ which is a bit much right now. I'm willing to save up but wonder if maybe I'm missing a basic less expensive machine that would do the job.

Tia!

Edited by happi duck

I had an inexpensive serger for over twenty years. It sewed everything. I replaced it with a very expensive Babylock because I wanted ease of threading and a cover stitch.

My only addition to the discussion is about how much thick fabric you can get under the presser foot. I have serged the edges of diaper liners for two of my daughter in laws. It is rough going on both machines. My first machine didn't ha doe it well, and I had to take it in for repairs. My bAby lock did better.

I can make a better comment if you tell what kind of fabric and how many layers.

I believe the brother linked above is a good basic machine, but if you can't sew in it until

you get it home, and it doesn't work for your project, be sure you have the option to return it.

For that reason alone I would say go to a machine shop and look for a used one in your price range.

My did bought one off craigslist, and it appeared to be working according to the samples she was given, but it really had one messed up tension disc. Too expensive to throw more money at.

Edited by KatieinMich
  • Like 1

Do you have a regular sewing machine? You could always do a zig zag stitch along the edge. I do that with a straight stitch too and have never had problems with all cotton fabrics. Plus many of the cloth pads I have seen have a cotton or bamboo minky style fabric on them and from my understanding it has a bit of polyester in it (less then 10percent) which would also reduce fraying.

I would love a serger... but the price makes me wonder if its worth it! I can do a lot with my simple $75 brother ;) Including making pads!

ETA: Did you see that you can make them T&T style? I have done that and do not think it is THAT bad :) Though, as their website states it is not their first choice... I was googling "T&T" style mama cloth and this was the first thing that came up which shows the Days for Girls Kit instructions.

Edited by mamaofgirls
  • Like 1

I had the Brother 1034D before upgrading to a Babylock. It worked for a few months and then became a boat anchor. Other people love them though. Sewing curves on a serger is not easy. I'm still not great at it after having one for 10 years. :P There's a FB group for "sewing cloth menstrual pads" that is helpful. People are always commenting on how they're proficient seamstresses, but cloth pads kick their butts at first.

The price on the Brother fluctuates on Amazon. Check camelcamelcamel and see what you can expect. Another random rec--serger thread is so much cheaper at wawak.com, and their shipping is super speedy. Get MaxiLock or one of their house brands. Joann doesn't carry MaxiLock any more. Gutermann is pricey (and not worth it in serger cones IMO though I love their sewing thread), and their cheap brand is junky. I have cones only a year or two old and the plastic base has crumbled. Total waste.

• Like 1

I had the Brother 1034D before upgrading to a Babylock. It worked for a few months and then became a boat anchor. Other people love them though. Sewing curves on a serger is not easy. I'm still not great at it after having one for 10 years. :P There's a FB group for "sewing cloth menstrual pads" that is helpful. People are always commenting on how they're proficient seamstresses, but cloth pads kick their butts at first.

The price on the Brother fluctuates on Amazon. Check camelcamelcamel and see what you can expect. Another random rec--serger thread is so much cheaper at wawak.com, and their shipping is super speedy. Get MaxiLock or one of their house brands. Joann doesn't carry MaxiLock any more. Gutermann is pricey (and not worth it in serger cones IMO though I love their sewing thread), and their cheap brand is junky. I have cones only a year or two old and the plastic base has crumbled. Total waste.

Thanks for the info...sounds like I need to research the difficulty of sewing pads.

Do you have a regular sewing machine? You could always do a zig zag stitch along the edge. I do that with a straight stitch too and have never had problems with all cotton fabrics. Plus many of the cloth pads I have seen have a cotton or bamboo minky style fabric on them and from my understanding it has a bit of polyester in it (less then 10percent) which would also reduce fraying.

I would love a serger... but the price makes me wonder if its worth it! I can do a lot with my simple $75 brother ;) Including making pads!

ETA: Did you see that you can make them T&T style? I have done that and do not think it is THAT bad :) Though, as their website states it is not their first choice... I was googling "T&T" style mama cloth and this was the first thing that came up which shows the Days for Girls Kit instructions.

Thanks for the info!

I'll have to look at the days for girls site again. I think I read that they used to give that option but settled on requiring that things be serged.

I can't comment as to price because I've never purchased one, but my mom lets me share her very nice Viking serger. The Viking Husqvarna models are $$$ brand-new, but because they allow people to trade in machines toward an upgraded model, they often have used models for sale.

You might also look into Janomes. A sew/vac place in my town is a dealer. When I was shopping for a regular machine, the Janomes were *very* reasonably priced and the local place was right on par with the Amazon prices.

In any case, if you're going to invest that much money into a machine, see what your local sew/vac places can do for you. A lot of times they'll do a series of free classes to teach you how to use the machine and offer free "tech support" when you run into issues. It can be worth the few extra bucks to have that, especially if you aren't familiar with serger sewing which has its own learning curve.

Edited by Forget-me-not
  • Like 1

I have that Brother serger. It's easy to use for a serger, and easy to adjust the tension (which is a huge thing with sergers). It's the 3rd one I've used...1st was a higher end one bought used that died on me quickly, 2nd was a cheap one borrowed from a friend that was a huge pain to use. This has definitely been the easiest of the 3 to use.

I would much prefer to T&T cloth pads than serge them. I've done both...I like the T&T'd ones much better.

• Like 2

Yay for Days for Girls! I had a couple thoughts - first, it is really simple serging through not-too-think fabric, the layers are not thick, so I think you will be fine with a basic machine.

Second, my mom has organised a group of volunteers for putting together the packs. She divides up the work and has an 87 year old friend who does most of the serging. Have you thought about reaching out to others in your area to find others interested in helping? Maybe someone who has a serger would want to join in the fun!

Third, the last time I took in my sewing machine for repairs, there where 2 previously owned sergers for sale - nice brands, pretty good prices. I seriously considered buying one!! Is there a repair shop near you? Mine is part of a quilting store that also sells machines...

• Like 2

OP, have you tried making one of the pads with the equipment you have, using the T&T method?  That would help you understand what's involved with the project and decide if the serger investment is worth it.  Also, my experience is that a pad made with the T&T method is more sturdy and will last longer than one that is serged.  The longer-lasting the pad, the better for the girl who receives it.  Carefully made T&T pads made with quality materials can last much longer than the three years DFG estimates.

I second the idea to get others involved.  If one of them has a serger, they can do that part of the construction and you can do other parts.  Together, you can make more pads, and have some fun too!

A serger is going to be a big investment, but if you choose well, it will last for many years to come.  With this in mind, I'd think about other projects you might do with a serger, to be sure you get something that will meet your needs now and in the future.

A serger is a tricky bit of equipment.  The more expensive ones are easier to use (specifically, the BabyLock Imagine is AMAZING, though it's way out of your price range).  You might want to watch some YouTube videos on various sergers to get a sense of what's involved with threading them, changing the stitch, and so on, to get an idea if it's something you'll feel comfortable messing with.  

• Like 2

OP, have you tried making one of the pads with the equipment you have, using the T&T method? That would help you understand what's involved with the project and decide if the serger investment is worth it. Also, my experience is that a pad made with the T&T method is more sturdy and will last longer than one that is serged. The longer-lasting the pad, the better for the girl who receives it. Carefully made T&T pads made with quality materials can last much longer than the three years DFG estimates.

I second the idea to get others involved. If one of them has a serger, they can do that part of the construction and you can do other parts. Together, you can make more pads, and have some fun too!

A serger is going to be a big investment, but if you choose well, it will last for many years to come. With this in mind, I'd think about other projects you might do with a serger, to be sure you get something that will meet your needs now and in the future.

A serger is a tricky bit of equipment. The more expensive ones are easier to use (specifically, the BabyLock Imagine is AMAZING, though it's way out of your price range). You might want to watch some YouTube videos on various sergers to get a sense of what's involved with threading them, changing the stitch, and so on, to get an idea if it's something you'll feel comfortable messing with.

From what I'm seeing on the days for girls website they specify *not* to use t & t method. They also specify that a zig zag along the edge is not durable enough.

From what I'm seeing on the days for girls website they specify *not* to use t & t method. They also specify that a zig zag along the edge is not durable enough.

I would hazard a guess that it's for hand washing and drying ease. Turned and top stitched pads are thicker along that seam.

• Like 2

If you are on FB ask to join this group. It is a wealth of info. https://www.facebook.com/groups/SewClothPads/?fref=nf

I love my serger and having just recently been scouring ebay for a new sewing machine and have seen many very good sergers going for very good prices. 

I am a self admitted machine snob. I do not like anything singer or brother (no offense just personal prefference). I love Husqvarna, Pfaff and Bernina. You can get great deals on older, well built, solid machines on ebay. 

ETA: Clarity

Edited by Jenn121
  • Like 1