Menu

Memoria Press?

*AM*

I've used and liked LC I (and II before the Form series was published.) LC I is a systematic, gentle introduction to Latin. It was my introduction to Latin, and I have fond memories of learning alongside my children with it. This was before the DVDs were available, and I was astonished that I, with no Latin background, actually understood what was being taught just from TM and book. I especially appreciate the non-busy format of their pages as compared to LFC, which is another we tried later (although there are things I liked about LFC, too.) The Form series is great, too. Most of my kids have used Lukeion, but I had one who truly wasn't going to survive that, and the Form series did the trick for her. 

Mainly I'm posting to bump your question though because I too am interested in their other products.

I have used the original K and 1st packages along with parts of 2nd, 5th and 6th. Bottom line: it is too repetitive and boring. What we did like were the book choices as read only and the FIAR-like activities every week. I also loved having lesson plans done for me, the wonderful forum, and excellent customer service. At the end of the day though, it just was not for us.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We are loving the Kindergarten enrichment. Love the art cards. Love the literature picks, and have enjoyed using a few of the lit guides-- though we use the guides orally. 

ETA: We also really like their copybooks and New American Cursive. 

Edited by ByGrace3

I just remembered another MP item we've used. I bought the TG for King Arthur -- only the TG, not the student book. I used it for discussion questions, vocabulary words, background information, and the map. I had it in hand and did everything orally with my 5th grader. The guide was helpful, and this was a good approach for us which added to our enjoyment of the book.

I am not a fan of their Latin, although others love it.  There is nothing wrong with it, just that I wasn't able to teach effectively from it due to my personality and educational background.  (and I also because the year I tried it, I was extremely sleep deprived)

Some of their reading and phonics materials are wonderful, and were based on vintage texts that I already have, so I've never been inclined to buy the new versions from MP.  

I use their geography, astronomy, and recitation booklets as supplements to the other stuff we do in our homeschool.  Since we go through the D'Aulaires Greek Myths, Bible stories, and grammar, the recitations booklets often match what we are learning.  (we skip a lot of the memory work though).  

The Greek program I use is now sold by Memoria Press, too.  

My daughter loved First Start French, although we switched to Getting Started with French when it came out, and will finish FSF later.  

I think MP is one of those publishers that you can't really go wrong with, but their graphic design is a bit on the dry side.  Depends on what is important to you in a school book.  

Edited by Ms.Ivy
  • Like 1

I've tried to like MP over the years. It seems so simple and practical! I haven't been able to finish even one of them. We bail before the halfway point. None of them worked for this family. They were so very dry and lifeless. *Read this. Fill in the blanks.*  Repeat ** until the end of the book. I don't even look anymore.

Edited by SilverMoon
  • Like 2

I didn't realize they were selling Elementary Greek now. We love love love this curriculum. It sparks a passion and gives a solid foundation. My two who used it went on to get minors in Biblical languages. One earned awards in Greek during college and is working as an intern here. EG made it possible for this mom, who knew nothing at all about Greek, to get them started on this path.

• Like 1

I didn't realize they were selling Elementary Greek now. We love love love this curriculum. It sparks a passion and gives a solid foundation. My two who used it went on to get minors in Biblical languages. One earned awards in Greek during college and is working as an intern here. EG made it possible for this mom, who knew nothing at all about Greek, to get them started on this path.

Wow, that's inspiring.  Thank you for sharing that.  I needed to hear that today  :-D

I think MP is one of those publishers that you can't really go wrong with, but their graphic design is a bit on the dry side.  Depends on what is important to you in a school book.  

You say dry, I say simple and streamlined. :-) I love the bolded statement. It's so true, across the board, about all curricula choices. I appreciate all the reviews we can get here in order to make informed decisions.

• Like 3

Depends also on how you teach and how your kids learn.

We like the art cards and use them in our morning basket. I enjoy articles in the catalog. I have been eyeing the Greuber book for US History/Civics, but haven't purchased.

MP, for us, is too assembly line like - read and produce a formulaic product (vocab words, fill in the blank, catechismal like response questions, etc). It is gradual and repeating and makes for very predictable days and schedules. That, honestly, is one reason we left public school! While I prefer the content (quality lit, Latin, strong grammar skills, etc) over public school the approach reminds me of my 1980s public school classroom experiences (from which I learned far less than I might have had the approach been different).

But then again, I can't do BraveWriter Lifestyle kind of learning because it is not concrete enough for my kids. MP and BW (and a bunch of other stuff we don't use) aren't good or bad, they're just sometimes a good or bad fit for certain learners.

• Like 1

We use full cores (except for the R&S math).  I'm going to sound like I'm shilling for them, but here goes anyway:

It's important to know that MP is designed for classroom use.  So the "boring" fill the blank comprehension are done as a group discussion, where a teacher helps the students craft the answer together and then they copy it down in their workbooks.  When they do the recitation, it's not one student reciting by themselves in front of a class and doing a whole year's questions all by themselves.  There just isn't the same kind of pressure as there is on a single student in a homeschool.  It is rigorous either way, I think, but not the same as having a classroom of kids working together.

MP workbooks are not designed to be independent work, especially in the younger years.  It's not a "here, read this and answer these questions" and have a kid sitting at a desk with workbooks all day.  They are designed so that the student can make connections, see character development and motivation and that sort of thing.  Of course some of it is going to be reading comprehension and recall for details, but that is part of most any reading program.  IME, parental involvement is crucial, just as you would have a good teacher discussing books with kids and making them excited about the lit or lesson.  Sometimes this is where the MP DVDs come in handy.

LC1 has recently been revamped to be a perfect ramp up to 1st Form and the DVDs have been redone this year as well.

I will say that the jump up to 3rd grade (where kids are moving out of primary into more upper elementary) is a leap in how much work is expected.  But, we worked up to it, doing a lot of the stuff orally at the beginning of the year.  Now my son thinks nothing of sitting down for Greek Myths and answering the questions for me, even with the amount of writing being significant.

All in all, we've found this year with MP to be very good.  My 3rd grader is making connections with other learning he's done or other things he hears from our evening read alouds with Dad, and such.  He's risen to a new level of writing complete sentences and paragraphs.

My 1st grader has learned a lot of cursive and has started to see how to read for comprehension in a very gentle way.  The enrichment and read alouds we've done with both cores have been great.

In general, I like the path they take with classical studies and the lit selections and see us using MP for the long haul.

• Like 5

I should add that the reason we started using MP is because of their astronomy book.  My husband started doing astronomy with the older kids with our backyard telescope and a messier catalog.  I wanted to beef up what they were learning, so I bought MP's astronomy.  It worked perfectly in that way -- a practical study with a parent who is enthusiastic about the subject and maybe learning along with the kids, and the workbook academics to add to the knowledge they get out in the backyard. :)  I can see how just doing the workbook would seem dry and uninteresting as far as a study of astronomy goes.

• Like 3

I've used the Read Aloud Enrichment manual from Memoria Press for K this year. We have enjoyed it immensely. I ended up purchasing many of the books we borrowed from the library because they were so rich and my son asked to read them over and over. The science books they use have been favorites of mine for years "Let's Read and Find Out" series and Gail Gibbons books. 

I didn't care for the MP Enrichment Art's and Crafts book (it was a waste of money for me). We ended up using Wee Folk Art for craft suggestions. 

I am debating buying the entire curriculum for 1st grade but I think I'm going to purchase the Read Aloud Enrichment and Science again for 1st then piece together the other things I like. We use Saxon 1 for Math right now...MP uses Rod and Staff which I have no experience but Saxon is working well for us so I want to continue with it. I like their recommendations for phonics and grammar, so I may use those things next year....still haven't decided. 

I also love the look of the MP Storytime treasures for next year. 

We've used their K and 1st grade enrichment guides. Love their art cards and my daughter is doing well in Latina Christiana. I've also used their cursive program for my daughter, and both my son and daughter learned to read with their Classical Phonics materials.

I do like MP.  I started using bits and pieces for elementary for my older two.  I'm likely to do the same for my youngest.  

I used more and more of it as the kids got older and I like it better in the middle school age especially.  I liked the fact that is was challenging at this age.

I really liked their online classes too.  The Classical Comp has been a great benefit to our kids.

I also really like the Latin.  

I've used bits and pieces over the years and have loved many. We especially love the Enrichment guides and art cards. We've used K and first so far. We've enjoyed most of the read aloud books, poetry, and music selections.

We used one lit guide (Farmer Boy) and liked it, but used it mostly orally and for discussion, not written output.

I tried First Start Reading and really wanted it to work, but unfortunately did not for my middle DS. I liked it though; it just wasn't a good fit for this DS.

I've been tempted many times to try their full cores, but it seems like a big jump in work level for us and I'm just not sure if it would work. But I will continue to hand select certain things they offer.

I have used two full cores (2nd and 4th), Latina Christiana, Storytime Treasures, and Greek Myths.  My favorites have been the 2nd grade enrichment, the literature guides, Latin, and Classical Composition.  I really like their geography and Classical Studies as well.  Both Famous Men of Rome and Greek Myths were big hits here.

The only issue for me is that I want to combine my kids for content subjects, and that just doesn't work well with MP because of the subjects we've already done.  Since my oldest has already done GM and FMR, we'd have to do Famous Men of the Middle Ages, a 5th grade book, and that would be too much for my younger.  I also like to do more with our history and science and do those subjects daily, not weekly as MP schedules them.

We recently began Second Form Latin and I LOVE their Latin series.  I also imagine that we'll continue with Classical Composition, used along with WTM writing methods.  We'll do some of the literature guides and will keep at the poetry, too.  

I can see why some people describe the workbooks as dry, but if you take the time to do them along with your kids and actually get to the discussion and enrichment portions, there is a lot of meat there.  The questions may look repetitive and simplistic, but they actually help kids pull out the main ideas of what they are reading and then articulate that clearly by writing out the answers.  

• Like 4

I love how their teacher guides are set up.  I think they seem very easy to teach from (for me anyway). Some parents are great at coming up with discussion topics, but I like a loose outline to follow.  I'm not big on their student guides because it seems like so much writing!  

I'm planning on using several of their books next year.  We'll be using D'Aulaire's Greek Myths, The Story of the Thirteen Colonies/200 Questions/American History Homework, and their Poetry for Grammar Stage books.  I'll probably just pick up the texts and teacher's guides, but skip the student guides.  We never actually wrote in our Prima Latina student guide, but they often read over it for the lessons.  I may have them write out a few answers on notebook paper so it isn't all discussion, but I don't want to overwhelm them with writing.  For the 200 Questions, I just ordered the flashcards for some fun review.  If this goes well, I plan on adding in a couple of their classical and/or modern studies each year.

Their preschool 2/3yo program is very tempting, but I keep talking myself out of it, since DS is my 5th child and we have tons of preschool materials already!  If I was just starting out, I'd definitely give this a try.  

I love MP. My oldest used pieces in 3rd and 4th and then we ordered customized cores for 5th, 6th, and 7th. My younger two will complete parts of 3A together next year. We use Latin, literature, composition, geography, classical studies, Christian studies, and the science books written by MP. I love the efficiency and the predictability of the books. Once you get into a groove for the year you know what to expect each week. To me it's straightforward, no-frills learning. I also love that it's about depth and not breadth. Fewer topics are studied, but they are studied in depth.

I dismissed MP when I first looked because it looked boring, but we started using pieces when our 'fun' materials flopped. I was surprised at how much I liked it, and how much my kids enjoyed recitation.

• Like 1

We love MP! I have used Prima Latina, States and Capitals, New American Cursive, Poetry for the Grammar Stage, Storytime Treasures, More Storytime Treasures, several Literature Guides, Intro to Composition, and we plan on using a lot more in the future!

Like others, I though the MP guides looked dry and repetitive, but when we started trying them, my DD8 just loved them. She actually asked me, "Mom, can we use more of this brand?"

And I was sold. I probably won't use full cores, but we are using more and more and are really enjoying it. We are just about to move into Latina Christiana and she's so excited!

The books do follow a repetitive pattern, which I'm sure wouldn't work for every kid, but it works like a charm for mine! She has learned so much, without having to juggle all the bells and whistles of some other programs. As for the amount of writing, I like it. It stretches them. They will write easily and well after a few years of MP.

• Like 1

We have used the full cores of Jr. K, Kindergarten, and are on week 24 of the first grade core. I absolutely love MP. But I have not really used anything else or have that much experience homeschooling. The twins are my guinea pigs. :D However, when we decided to homeschool, I researched and researched, asked questions, and doubted myself into a frenzy. I finally came to the MP website through the first start reading program. I loved what I saw. The customer service is unmatched in my opinion. The forum is a goldmine of answers, advice and encouragement. Really, Memoria Press gave me the confidence to homeschool successfully. I believe we will be with them for the long haul.

• Like 2

I didn't read all of the other replies, so I apologize if this is a repeat. We love portions of MP, particularly the Latin (w/DVDs) and literature guides. We also have employed some of their classical studies materials and just started Classical Composition Fables stage (also w/DVDs) about six weeks ago. My son isn't really a fan of CC so far because it's stretching him! However, I like where it's taking him and will trust the process for now.

We, too, used and enjoyed their K enrichment guides as well as their K recitation. I'm planning on using the 1st grade enrichment and recitation when we're finished.

For the enrichment, we got the books at the library. We did purchase the poetry books and the art cards, though. I love that you can buy the recitation for $3! I think it's great.

Edited by KBadd

Oh! We also use their Christian Studies and I love it. Like everything else they put out, it's nothing fancy. It's just a solid, well thought-out, and simple product that helps guide our discussions in a way that allows my children to digest the meat of the materials we are using (in this case the book of Genesis).

Edited by Roseto27

I am not a fan of their Latin, although others love it.  There is nothing wrong with it, just that I wasn't able to teach effectively from it due to my personality and educational background.  (and I also because the year I tried it, I was extremely sleep deprived)

Some of their reading and phonics materials are wonderful, and were based on vintage texts that I already have, so I've never been inclined to buy the new versions from MP.  

I use their geography, astronomy, and recitation booklets as supplements to the other stuff we do in our homeschool.  Since we go through the D'Aulaires Greek Myths, Bible stories, and grammar, the recitations booklets often match what we are learning.  (we skip a lot of the memory work though).  

My daughter loved First Start French, although we switched to Getting Started with French when it came out, and will finish FSF later.  

The first bolded text applies to us—well, the geography and sciences anyway.

As for the second bolded text... I began reading this thread on my phone, as my little man and I sat waiting in the lobby of our dentist office to be called upon for our 6-month cleaning visits. Little man happened to be looking over my shoulder, read the thread title, and immediately made a comment. He asked if I would respond with his input. I nodded and said that I'd respond—with his two cents—when we got home. A few seconds later...as I read further down the thread, I couldn't help but chuckle at the thought of him concurring with your latter comments. His sentiments exactly.  :thumbup1:

However...

You say dry, I say simple and streamlined. :-) I love the bolded statement. It's so true, across the board, about all curricula choices. I appreciate all the reviews we can get here in order to make informed decisions.

...these are my sentiments about MP.  :thumbup: LOL!

I do really love their science and geography for the simple and streamlined approach.

Next year, for 7th grade science, we'll be jumping to BJU Life Science 7... and so on and so forth. MP science laid a great foundation. If I had to do it all over again, I'd still use their materials. He's truly retained a lot from both subjects.

Edited by NCAmusings

Also, let us not forget The Classical Teacher.

The Winter 2015-2016 issue arrived just the other day. While my little man was busy with his independent work, I treated myself to a little afternoon coffee alongside a piece of gluten-free chocolate cake covered with thick, buttery chocolate frosting as I read through the featured articles, being re-inspired. Time well spent.

• Like 6

Love the enrichment guides and recitation books for pre-k -1st grade. I liked the bird study but we did not do the workbook questions. I used the pre-k curriculum and tweaked it a bit and we enjoyed it as well as K but couldn't use it as written since my son had learned reading on his own so I ended mostly using the enrichment guide. However, if you're child is right on for grade level on everything a great choice I think for the early years. HTH

We are using and enjoying Classical Composition Fable/Narrative and Geography 1.  This is the first year my dd has retained Geography and the review of United States that comes with it has been perfect for reinforcement

. We have done Classical Conversations Foundations in the past with little to no retention. 

We are using a 3A core with literature, geography, and spelling bumped up as DD's levels vary between subjects. MP's customer service has been excellent and they were happy to swap components of the core, as well as drop (and not charge me for) a couple of novels that I already owned.

I've been thrilled with MP. Although I was impressed as soon as I started reviewing the materials, I expected DD to revolt at the "back to basics" (some have said dry) nature of the workbooks and the sheer volume of the writing. Exactly the opposite has occurred. The predictability of our curriculum each week has been a source of comfort, for DD and for me. DD's gone from whiny protests every time she's required to write more than two sentences (materials used prior to MP), to really enjoying the creativity of writing. I've gone from trying to make class more fun to witnessing her joy in the knowledge itself. I admit I read about the "delight in learning itself being enough" in the past and completely pooh poohed it. And every kid is different. But in our case, my daughter has truly blossomed with MP. I plan to use their materials for the foreseeable future.

• Like 4

I've been thrilled with MP. Although I was impressed as soon as I started reviewing the materials, I expected DD to revolt at the "back to basics" (some have said dry) nature of the workbooks and the sheer volume of the writing. Exactly the opposite has occurred. The predictability of our curriculum each week has been a source of comfort, for DD and for me. DD's gone from whiny protests every time she's required to write more than two sentences (materials used prior to MP), to really enjoying the creativity of writing. 

This was our experience as well.  Where I expected tears, my dc absolutely thrived!  They love the predictability and the confidence they have gained through the incremental, step by step methods.  Classical Composition is a favorite subject here, and that is one that I was so nervous about and had pretty low expectations beginning.

• Like 3