Menu

Brussels, Belgium Attacked by Bombers this Morning-Not Again!

TranquilMind

My husband and daughter were flying out of there last week from a mission trip, and they commented on how tight security was there.  In fact, they separated my daughter for extra screening and made them board the plane separately.

That's the screening before one can board a flight.  The bombings in the airport took place in public areas. One was near a Starbucks.   The security at the entrances to the airport is easier to get through. The Muslim Terrorists found the weak link in the chain and they got into the airport. After the capture in Belgium, of the Muslim Terrorist, alive, a few days ago, they were on very high alert, but they did not have tight security at the entrance to the airport.  Tragic and sad events. There are, apparently, many Muslim Terrorists in Europe, waiting for the opportunity to attack. Horrible people and horrible events.  

• Like 2

Pls pray (good thoughts, whatever) for my friends who work for NATO and live by the airport. They are all safe, but very shaken.

I'm glad they are safe. They need to pay very strict attention to what the U.S. Embassy says to do, which is "Shelter in Place" and to what the U.S. Military tells  them to do.  That is a very dangerous place to be.

Strikes so close. We lived in Brussels for a couple of years. My husband flew out of that airport every day as a pilot. We rode those metros. My teenager rode them without parents along sometimes.

Thankfully everyone I know in Belgium is accounted for and safe. Brussels is a beautiful city with good people.

So sad, very thankful, but with growing anger.

• Like 5

I'm so sad about this. It is weird to me that more people on Facebook aren't commenting on it. For many it seems like it's business as usual or something...

It is strange. When I saw someone mention it on FB this morning I turned on the news. I checked three network news channels, and only one was covering it. I don't think the frantic 24/7 coverage of this kind of stuff is good either, but I was surprised that even the scrolling news feeds at the bottom of the networks didn't have anything on it. At least not when I was watching. 

I guess a massive terrorist attack is just another Tuesday morning now. :(

• Like 3

I saw almost nothing on FB about the Ankara or Istanbul attacks in the last few days either.

:(

Yes, our travel to Turkey has been banned.  They had just lifted some restrictions for us which had prevented dh from traveling there last fall.  

• Like 1

It is strange. When I saw someone mention it on FB this morning I turned on the news. I checked three network news channels, and only one was covering it. I don't think the frantic 24/7 coverage of this kind of stuff is good either, but I was surprised that even the scrolling news feeds at the bottom of the networks didn't have anything on it. At least not when I was watching.

Lots of coverage on Twitter. At least in my newsfeed.

4 LDS missionaries were seriously injured. Two were 20 yos from Utah, one was 60 yo from Utah ( mission leader I guess) and one was 20 yo French girl they were dropping off to fly out. The 3 guys were in the departure lounge closest to the bomber and the woman had gone through security but was still injured.

So the bombers didnt get past security...which is good in its way because it shows security measures are working but they still managed to kill people... thankfully not as many as they could have because apparently they couldnt fit all their bags loaded with bombs into the taxi and had to leave some behind.

• Like 2

Hmm.. here it was on the news within minutes of the first bomb. Though our news tends to be at least 50%  international.

Apparently, this was the 20 year old missionary's second bomb survival.  He had been at the Boston Marathon during the attack a f w years ago.

4 LDS missionaries were seriously injured. Two were 20 yos from Utah, one was 60 yo from Utah ( mission leader I guess) and one was 20 yo French girl they were dropping off to fly out. The 3 guys were in the departure lounge closest to the bomber and the woman had gone through security but was still injured.

So the bombers didnt get past security...which is good in its way because it shows security measures are working but they still managed to kill people... thankfully not as many as they could have because apparently they couldnt fit all their bags loaded with bombs into the taxi and had to leave some behind.