Menu

Saturday Night Live did it again...

Here's a link to the "debate" they did between McCain and Obama.

Btw...Tina Fey reprised her role as Sarah Palin during another sketch, but I'm not going to post it because it's only funny for one side of the political fence.

This one pokes fun of both of them and that's my kind of humor. :)

http://www.nbc.com/Saturday_Night_Live/video/clips/presidential-debate/704121/

I agree completely!!

And, even being an Obama supporter, it wasn't until I watched the SNL debate that I realized how much Obama sounds like that aardvark on the Pink Panther show!! :lol:

Ha! I watched the show but I don't remember him. I'll have to check it out.

Very funny.

But...I was shocked to find out that Fey's response to the question about the bailout was nearly word for word what Palin actually said to Couric in her interview. After watching that, I'm no longer surprised that conservative columnists are calling for Palin to step down.

From the Palin/Couric interview (not the SNL parody):

Katie Couric: Why isn't it better, Gov. Palin, to spend $700 billion helping middle-class families who are struggling with health care, housing, gas and groceries; allow them to spend more and put more money into the economy instead of helping these big financial institutions that played a role in creating this mess?

Gov. Sarah Palin: That's why I say I, like every American I'm speaking with, we're ill about this position that we have been put in where it is the taxpayers looking to bail out. But ultimately, what the bailout does is help those who are concerned about the health-care reform that is needed to help shore up our economy, helping the -- it's got to be all about job creation, too, shoring up our economy and putting it back on the right track. So health-care reform and reducing taxes and reining in spending has got to accompany tax reductions and tax relief for Americans. And trade, we've got to see trade as opportunity, not as a competitive, scary thing. But one in five jobs being created in the trade sector today, we've got to look at that as more opportunity. All those things under the umbrella of job creation. This bailout is a part of that.

Here's a video of the Palin/Couric segment: link.

Actually, I like Palin and thought the Tina Fey thing was funny. But maybe that is because I blame Palin's handlers for trying to make her into something she isn't - a female McCain. She needs to talk her own game and not try to repeat all McCain's talking points.

Here's a link to the "debate" they did between McCain and Obama.

Btw...Tina Fey reprised her role as Sarah Palin during another sketch, but I'm not going to post it because it's only funny for one side of the political fence.

This one pokes fun of both of them and that's my kind of humor. :)

http://www.nbc.com/Saturday_Night_Live/video/clips/presidential-debate/704121/

Actually' date=' I like Palin and thought the Tina Fey thing was funny. But maybe that is because I blame Palin's handlers for trying to make her into something she isn't - a female McCain. She needs to talk her own game and not try to repeat all McCain's talking points.[/quote']

But what if Palin's "own game" is a garbled mess that betrays her utter lack of experience? How does that affect your opinion of her?

What did you think of that quote I posted above from the real Palin/Couric interview?

But what if Palin's "own game" is a garbled mess that betrays her utter lack of experience? How does that affect your opinion of her?

What did you think of that quote I posted above from the real Palin/Couric interview?

It was definitely bad. I think it was nerves getting the better of her - I tend to run-on sentences and garbled syntax when I'm uncomfortable, too. And let's face it, Katie Couric was trying to embarrass her. She needs to get off defense and back on offense. But I think if they let her follow her own instincts, instead of trying to memorize a bunch of cr*p, she'll do better. I could be wrong, and I'm voting 3rd party anyway:tongue_smilie:. I agree that she lacks foeign policy experience, and I think it is a mistake to try to force her to fake her way through it. She isn't the first VP nominee to be weak in some area or another, or presidential nominee, for that matter. Can she learn quickly? I think she's proven in other situations that she can.

Can she learn quickly? I think she's proven in other situations that she can.

No doubt she's a smart woman. But from day one as VP' date=' she would [b']need[/b] some minimum level of competence and experience. I believe her interviews are demonstrating that she's woefully lacking in both.

It frightens me that while I don't know if the bailout is truly a good idea, I can come up with a better answer off the top of my head than Palin did. Sure, I don't have to answer with cameras in my face, but the VPOTUS should be handle that kind of pressure. If s/he can't, then I'll argue that s/he is unqualified for the job.

Can't wait for Thursday night. We don't have TV reception, so DH and I will be huddled around the computer. :tongue_smilie:

My thoughts are not in order today. Sorry for multiple posts!

I agree that she lacks foeign policy experience' date=' and I think it is a mistake to try to force her to fake her way through it. She isn't the first VP nominee to be weak in some area or another, or presidential nominee, for that matter. [/quote']

But the quote I posted is about the economy, not foreign policy. So she lacks foreign policy experience and can't answer a reasonable question about economic policy. Just what are her strengths? Has she demonstrated genuine understanding of any issues of national importance?

What if you abstain from your personal attacks on someone you've never met? I don't agree on 90% of what Obama represents, but I would never stoop as low as you do in attacking his abilities...he has many failings, it's not my place to dredge him over the coals as you seem to like doing to the candidates that you are against.

I thought the quote you posted above is a reflection of you and your agenda.

Tara

It was definitely bad. I think it was nerves getting the better of her - I tend to run-on sentences and garbled syntax when I'm uncomfortable' date=' too. And let's face it, Katie Couric was trying to embarrass her.[/quote']Couric was trying to embarrass her by asking easily anticipated questions? Please. I think the nerves excuse is insulting to Palin and her supporters who maintain she is "ready to lead." There were no surprises, no "gotcha" moments from Couric. If a mere interview (in which the interviewer has agreed ahead of time to be "deferential") starts her gibbering, what would a real crisis do? How many interviews of McCain, Obama, and Biden given?

Actually, I like Palin and thought the Tina Fey thing was funny. But maybe that is because I blame Palin's handlers for trying to make her into something she isn't - a female McCain. She needs to talk her own game and not try to repeat all McCain's talking points.

What if you abstain from your personal attacks on someone you've never met? I don't agree on 90% of what Obama represents, but I would never stoop as low as you do in attacking his abilities...he has many failings, it's not my place to dredge him over the coals as you seem to like doing to the candidates that you are against.
I fail to see how that's a personal attack. If we don't evaluate candidates on their abilities and record, what measures are we supposed to use? Her perceived lack of not only experience, but knowledge and understanding of major issues is entirely relevant to the position she is running for.

But what if Palin's "own game" is a garbled mess that betrays her utter lack of experience?

What about my statement was a personal attack?

And are you suggesting that the only people qualified to form an opinion on candidates' qualifications are those who know them personally?

Well, I guess that'll cut down on the lines at the polls come November.

And really, are you trying to say that this wasn't a garbled mess?

Gov. Sarah Palin: That's why I say I, like every American I'm speaking with, we're ill about this position that we have been put in where it is the taxpayers looking to bail out. But ultimately, what the bailout does is help those who are concerned about the health-care reform that is needed to help shore up our economy, helping the -- it's got to be all about job creation, too, shoring up our economy and putting it back on the right track. So health-care reform and reducing taxes and reining in spending has got to accompany tax reductions and tax relief for Americans. And trade, we've got to see trade as opportunity, not as a competitive, scary thing. But one in five jobs being created in the trade sector today, we've got to look at that as more opportunity. All those things under the umbrella of job creation. This bailout is a part of that.

That was an EASY question Couric asked. Nothing devious about it.

Saying Palin betrayed her lack of experience with this response is NOT a personal attack.

It is just a statement of fact.

The Couric interview wasn't impressive and it is appropriate to make some inferences about Palin's ability to lead based upon her answers. But, I think the hyperbole that's embedded in most of the criticism of her has been astounding where simple statements would do just as well and actually better. It makes me think that the real issues that people have with her aren't even the substantive ones. The substantive ones are window dressing for the visceral ones when it should be the other way around.

:lol:

Thanks for posting this.

Has anyone posted the Bill Clinton bit from weekend update? Talk about a dead-on parody. That was sooo funny. Darryl Hammond has him down, if you've watched any of the interviews recently.

http://www.nbc.com/Saturday_Night_Live/video/clips/update-bill-clinton/704104/

When he went on with his endorsements -- change has got to happen, make no mistake, we will have a new president. I wondered if the real Bill saw it.

I thought the quote you posted above is a reflection of you and your agenda.

Tara

Wow. This just makes me laugh out loud, after my initial "Errr...THAT was a snarky post!" thought. I'd hazard to guess that not many of us here have ever met Brittney Spears, yet I'd bet we all have an opinion of her. And I've never met Dr. Martin Luther King, but I feel qualified to say that he was a great leader. And Pastor Hagy and I have never crossed paths, but what I know about him causes me to feel that he's a bigoted, racist, homophobe. I've never met Yankee Derek Jeter, either, but he bugs me. They're called OPINIONS. We all have them. And we all have the right to express them. Tina Fey does, jplain does, I do, and you do too, Mama23peas. Regardless of whether or not we've ever met the person about whom we're opining.

astrid

Oh, I completely disagree. I think Tina Fey is so amazing in that role that even a die-hard Palin supporter should be able to laugh. Strangely enough, I've found SNL to be far more bi-partisan in their ability to poke fun at politics than anyone in Washington could ever dream to be.

SNL is the only thing good about an election year.

Oh, I completely disagree. I think Tina Fey is so amazing in that role that even a die-hard Palin supporter should be able to laugh. Strangely enough, I've found SNL to be far more bi-partisan in their ability to poke fun at politics than anyone in Washington could ever dream to be.

SNL is the only thing good about an election year.

I like Palin and even I laugh...because it's funny. I'm sure someone to find my quirks, exaggerate them, and make people laugh. There is nothing wrong with a bit of humour.

The Couric interview wasn't impressive and it is appropriate to make some inferences about Palin's ability to lead based upon her answers. But, I think the hyperbole that's embedded in most of the criticism of her has been astounding where simple statements would do just as well and actually better. It makes me think that the real issues that people have with her aren't even the substantive ones. The substantive ones are window dressing for the visceral ones when it should be the other way around.

Actually, my issues with her have plenty of substance. In my opinion, the most important qualification for a VP choice is his/her ability to assume the presidency in a crisis. Fully 1/4 of the last 12 presidents have either died or resigned. To me, should this ticket be elected, her meteoric rise from Weather Girl to President could be come a reality. I think we as a nation of voters have every right to critique her performance with Katie Couric. This was a pre-planned, taped interview. The questions were not by any means unexpected for someone running for the vice presidency. I find the argument "But the press is being MEAN to her! Reporters are asking her questions and expecting her to answer them!" quite humorous because there has been precious little face-time with the press at all. I take your comment about "visceral" reasons to dislike her as a reference to her religion. Fair enough. But if we are to go back and look, I think we'd see that Obama, Biden and McCain have all publicly discussed their respective religions/faith/worldview to a much greater degree than has Sarah Palin.

If I were a Republican, I'd be thinking, "THIS is the best we could do?" What about Condi Rice? What about Mitt Romney?

Just a few thoughts--- rambling, disjointed and of course, my own opinion. Thanks for listening, if you have made it this far.

astrid

If I were a Republican, I'd be thinking, "THIS is the best we could do?" What about Condi Rice? What about Mitt Romney?

I agree!! I've voted Democratic for the last two elections, but I voted for Republicans for just about every election prior to that .. in fact, just for fun, I looked it up!

1980 (1st time I was able to vote) - Carter vs Reagan - voted for Reagan

1984 - Reagan vs Mondale - vote for Reagan

1988 - Bush vs Dukakis - voted for Bush

1992 - Bush vs Clinton - voted for Bush

1996 - Clinton vs Dole - actually voted for Ross Perot in that one! ;)

2000 - Bush vs Gore - voted for Gore

2004 - Bush vs Kerry - voted for Kerry

So...all that is to say that if McCain had picked anyone else (hear my voice ala Amy Poehler saying, "Anyone! Anyone! Anyone!"), I may have voted for him! I probably would've voted for him with Mitt Romney...Joe Lieberman...Bill Richardson (I like him!)...probably not Guiliani...not a big Guiliani fan. Probably not even Condi Rice, because of her involvement in the Iraq war.

But Sarah Palin has become the absolute, ain't gonna go there, deal breaker for me.

And it's not because she's a woman -- I voted for Hillary in the primaries -- it's because I really think she's terribly unqualified and in over her head.

1992 - Bush vs Clinton - voted for Bush

1996 - Clinton vs Dole - actually voted for Ross Perot in that one! ;)

Perot was in 1992. We were married in October that year and the talk of my wedding was Bush/Clinton/Perot. We had very BIG fans in each category. I remember standing on a table at my rehearsal dinner shouting to be heard, letting all my almost-new relatives know why they were wrong about Bush and Clinton and why they should vote for Perot! Amazingly, my dh still went on with the wedding, of course my head didn't feel to well during the ceremony!

Melissa

Perot was in 1992. We were married in October that year and the talk of my wedding was Bush/Clinton/Perot. We had very BIG fans in each category. I remember standing on a table at my rehearsal dinner shouting to be heard, letting all my almost-new relatives know why they were wrong about Bush and Clinton and why they should vote for Perot! Amazingly, my dh still went on with the wedding, of course my head didn't feel to well during the ceremony!

Melissa

Oops! My bad .. I know I voted for Perot...so it must have been instead of re-electing Bush. Then I believe I voted for Clinton's 2nd term, because I didn't really care for Dole that much. I remember that!

And...LOL! That's a funny story!!

Oops! My bad .. I know I voted for Perot...so it must have been instead of re-electing Bush. Then I believe I voted for Clinton's 2nd term, because I didn't really care for Dole that much. I remember that!

And...LOL! That's a funny story!!

He ran in 96, too...he just didn't have nearly as much of an impact that time.

He ran in 96, too...he just didn't have nearly as much of an impact that time.

Maybe that's when it was! Because I'm sitting here, shouting out at my hubby, "Did I ever vote for Bill Clinton?" And he said, "Nope!" And I'm like, "Neither time?" And he said, "Nope!"

So it must have been Perot instead of Dole or Clinton -- I remember there was a big stink because the GOP blamed Perot for taking votes away from Dole, allowing Clinton to win a 2nd term.

Maybe that's when it was! Because I'm sitting here, shouting out at my hubby, "Did I ever vote for Bill Clinton?" And he said, "Nope!" And I'm like, "Neither time?" And he said, "Nope!"

So it must have been Perot instead of Dole or Clinton -- I remember there was a big stink because the GOP blamed Perot for taking votes away from Dole, allowing Clinton to win a 2nd term.

Hmmm... now I'm trying to remember. I've actually gone the exact opposite way as you. My voting record has been:

1988 - Bush vs Dukakis - voted for Dukakis

1992 - Bush vs Clinton - voted for Perot

1996 - Clinton vs Dole - Clinton

2000 - Bush vs Gore - voted for Bush

2004 - Bush vs Kerry - voted for Bush

And this year I support McCain. Although, I really looked into voting 3rd party. If I wasn't in a swing state I probably would.

Melissa

I'm in a swing state and I'm really, really interested in seeing how well the 3rd party candidates do here!!

We're thrilled to be a swing state! Most of the time, Virginia doesn't matter for squat. ;)

I was hoping Georgia would be a swing state this year. Maybe if Obama had gone with Sam Nunn for a running mate....

the senate race here is looking very interesting, though!

Actually, my issues with her have plenty of substance. In my opinion, the most important qualification for a VP choice is his/her ability to assume the presidency in a crisis. Fully 1/4 of the last 12 presidents have either died or resigned. To me, should this ticket be elected, her meteoric rise from Weather Girl to President could be come a reality. I think we as a nation of voters have every right to critique her performance with Katie Couric. This was a pre-planned, taped interview. The questions were not by any means unexpected for someone running for the vice presidency. I find the argument "But the press is being MEAN to her! Reporters are asking her questions and expecting her to answer them!" quite humorous because there has been precious little face-time with the press at all. I take your comment about "visceral" reasons to dislike her as a reference to her religion.

You first reason is substantive and there ARE many substantive reasons but they get lost under the angrier "Weather Girl" type comments. If people stuck to the substantive reasons and left aside the pejoratives they would still have strong arguments. They would even be better arguments for their lack of hyperbole. That's all I said about that.

I also said that her poor performance during that interview should count against her.

I absolutely did not mean her religion. I did not mean anything specifically. I actually meant visceral. I don't think being concerned about how her religion would affect her governance is visceral.

I'm in a swing state and I'm really, really interested in seeing how well the 3rd party candidates do here!!

We're thrilled to be a swing state! Most of the time, Virginia doesn't matter for squat. ;)

It's cool being in a swing state! Before we moved here we lived in MI and it was a swing state the whole time we were there. It's so nice to get so much attention from the candidates and feel like your vote truely counts. Dh and I both grew up in NY and there's never any question there who will win. My parents feel their vote counts more in the primary than the general elections. They still go out and vote on election day, but it's not the same feel as a swing state.

Melissa

I actually meant visceral. I don't think being concerned about how her religion would affect her governance is visceral.

Okay; maybe I interpreted it as such because with me, it IS a visceral issue--- I worry about someone who professes to be eagerly awaiting The Rapture having her finger anywhere near the nuke button, while Russia ramps up again.

astrid

Okay; maybe I interpreted it as such because with me, it IS a visceral issue--- I worry about someone who professes to be eagerly awaiting The Rapture having her finger anywhere near the nuke button, while Russia ramps up again.

astrid

But, without agreeing or disagreeing with you on that point, I don't consider that to be visceral. That's intellectual. That's a concern that isn't just a gut reaction or feeling that hasn't been subjected to reason. Even though you feel passionately about it, it isn't purely visceral. I do, however, think a lot of the reaction to her has been visceral, more in the beginning than now but those reactions set off a chain of events that will have an impact on party politics in the future.