Menu

Encouraging Inquiry - Kids Asking Meaningful Questions

My children are young right now and are naturally full of questions.  As children grow older and some of that natural curiosity dissipates, what do you do to encourage it? the drive to know more, to seek out answers, to take initiative in their own learning?

I loooove classical education, as well as many aspects of the Charlotte Mason method, but it is this issue that always makes me think about unschooling, problem-based learning, and the like.  

I recently read this in a book-

''My mother made me a scientist without ever intending it. Every other Jewish mother in Brooklyn would ask her child after school: 'So? Did you learn anything today?' But not my mother. She always asked me a different question. 'Izzy,' she would say, 'did you ask a good question today?' That difference - asking good questions -made me become a scientist!'' -Dr. Isidor Rabi, Nobel laureate in physics

This prompted me to see what resources I could find related to encouraging this kind of inquiry.

I ran across this QFT method-and you can actually see video examples in a school classroom on this website: http://rightquestion.org/

I know that this is all in the context of a public school classroom, where the rules are necessary in order for kids to feel safe in formulating questions.  So maybe this all won't be necessary in homeschooling, but I like the focused time on only generating questions.  I think this method could be used in a variety of ways, and the examples on that website are helpful to see.  I may simply use it once a week to help with self-directed research projects (that's probably the closest to unschooling as I will get...).

What else have you all done that encourages inquiry?  I am interested to know about any activities you do, or curriculum that leans this way.

Edited by abeshear
  • Like 1

Another thought- this article made me think about perhaps incorporating some time each day in looking at something and generating questions.  I still like the QFT method, and I like that it's flexible.  It can be used in any subject.  It can simply be a famous quote or a photo of something you want to study in science, but then having the kids generate the questions, helps them to drive the learning.

Edited by abeshear

I am having to learn how to use the Socratic method. I tend to be a talker and my dd does not, so often her questions are answered with long winding lectures. So i'm having to be more intentional in what I'm asking and how I'm responding and it required me doing some reading of my own (and a new curriculum) to do so. We will see how it works. My younger two never shut up so it's only the eldest I'm having to work at this with. 

That's interesting, I have the book Socratic Circles on my shelf waiting for me to read.  Here's another article, about incorporating a Socratic discussion based on the priority questions they come up with in the QFT method.  Curious what curriculum you switched to that you thought would help facilitate this for your daughter?  How is it working?

Great, let's share some resources.  I'm sure there are others who have suggestions on where to go to learn more about using the Socratic method.  I saved some things a while ago, so let me dig around and see what I can find.  Just found this talk (probably from a conference) and am listening to it now, so I'll keep you posted as to its helpfulness.  Maybe you can google it to find it, as I don't remember where I downloaded it from, but if you have any trouble, I'll see if I can figure that out as well.  

Grant Horner - Socratic Literary Exploration How To Teach Dialogically.mp3

I'm not sure how young your kiddos are, but I haven't found that it dissipates as they get older. If anything, I see the curiosity and questioning growing by leaps and bounds among my DD and her circle of homeschooled friends (age 11-13).

Ask a lot of "hmm, why do you think that is?" about everything. Everything.

And don't be afraid to look beyond a curriculum if it's not helping them think deeply. I love Joy Hakim's history books and her Story of Science, I love Beast Academy for math when they're little and the Art of Problem Solving as they get older (I feel like those programs have helped with deep, critical thinking more than anything else). Read-alouds of difficult classics have also been phenomenal here for getting at meaning (find an annotated edition to read together--they help with posing great questions). Have the radio on and discuss news and current events, always have a newspaper lying around, etc.

• Like 2

If you haven't seen them, the Circe threads here would probably be up your alley and Sarah McKenzie (sp?) on her The Read Aloud Revival podcast might as well.  She interviews the Center for Lit guy and Andrew Pudewa etc. on the first few episodes. And of course the whole Schole thing if you aren't already checking that out....be forewarned. It is a time vortex! I found the podcast first and the thread here later, so at least I was sort of prepared. :) I am kind of late to the party on all of this and am just now learning about it. 

Texasmom33 reminded me that Circe has a podcast about Socratic Teaching by Andrew Kern here. :)

• Like 1

I found the best way to encourage curiosity was to answer their many questions, as often as humanly possible, in detail until they are satisfied with the answer.

We had fascinating conversations with our kids. I recall one 30 minute conversation with DD: she asked why women cannot be president, and the conversation veered into history of women's rights, the female cycle, reproduction, genetics. She was 5 y/o.

We have spent a lot of time talking with our kids. They also witnessed intellectual sparring and spirited debates between us and our friends over dinner. We modeled curiosity by continuing to learn, and we modeled not accepting anything without questioning. This means that they are also allowed to question what we say! (No unconditional obedience, unless in the mountains where it is necessary for survival)

I think growing up in an atmosphere of critical thinking goes a long way - and is more effective than selecting specific curricula or making them think up questions..

Edited by regentrude
  • Like 3

Thanks, you all have given me some more to ponder.  And I just recently stumbled upon the Read Aloud Revival, so I am catching up on those podcasts now, and have the Circe podcasts ready to go when I am finished.  Texasmom33, is there a particular schole thread on here that you're referring to?

I definitely like the curriculum suggestions, yet I also love hearing how others create that atmosphere in their home, in everyday occurrences.  It's a great reminder to me- to not stop answering their questions (even when it can be tiring!) and to ask more of my own.  

I agree so strongly with regentrude. I honestly don't know how to not foster this type of learning and discussion. It's pretty much what makes us who we are, not just as homeschoolers, but as a family. 

I don't feel it has lessened at all as she's gotten older. Rather, I think the discussions are getting more interesting and powerful and it's fascinating to watch her develop her own individual perspectives and challenge me on mine too.

I also agree with regentrude and deerforest. It was never a matter of curricula here...it was a lifestyle based on family dynamics of inquisitive communication and encouragement of lively debate. Our children's curiosity and questioning grew as they got older, and continues to grow now at ages 19 and 17. As a matter of fact, the curiosity of my husband and I also continues to grow even at our ancient ages. ;)

One other thing I would add that I think is related and helpful. I've always made it a point to be interested in their interests and pursuits. For example, my ds was interested in remote controlled airplanes and cars at a young age...rebuilding motorcycles, designing and flying rockets...etc. DD has had many creative pursuits that have been fun to learn about as well.

Their interests were areas in which I had little to no experience in, but I purposely got involved in their projects--more by asking them questions and having them teach me. It is amazing to see what you can learn from your children! Another example - both ds and dd are pursuing foreign languages at a high level. I will likely never reach their level of expertise, but they both love that I am trying to learn those languages at a basic level via Rosetta Stone. It creates many fun memories with each other.

And for those who say, "I just am not interested in what my children's hobbies are," I would say....act interested anyway. You may be surprised at what you learn!

Texasmom33 reminded me that Circe has a podcast about Socratic Teaching by Andrew Kern here. :)

This was such a great lecture!!! (although, I'm a secular homeschooler, I wasn't totally prepared for what I was going to be listening to, so heads up to any other secular folks) The 5 or 6 questions he suggests at the very end are perfect, and I loved the discussion about trust. And the part where he said "we don't want them to remember that 4+3=7, we want them to see it', reminded me of AoPS and the discovery menthod the kids learn to use.

I wish there were examples of working your way through a piece of literature or a unit in history with these types of Socratic questions for the kids. I feel like I need to see someone in action. Anyone know of such a thing?

This was such a great lecture!!! (although, I'm a secular homeschooler, I wasn't totally prepared for what I was going to be listening to, so heads up to any other secular folks) The 5 or 6 questions he suggests at the very end are perfect, and I loved the discussion about trust. And the part where he said "we don't want them to remember that 4+3=7, we want them to see it', reminded me of AoPS and the discovery menthod the kids learn to use.

I wish there were examples of working your way through a piece of literature or a unit in history with these types of Socratic questions for the kids. I feel like I need to see someone in action. Anyone know of such a thing?

Oops! I'm sorry I didn't mention it! Yes, Circe materials definitely assume a Christian perspective. Glad you enjoyed it anyway!

...I'm a secular homeschooler… 

...I wish there were examples of working your way through a piece of literature or a unit in history with these types of Socratic questions for the kids. I feel like I need to see someone in action. Anyone know of such a thing?

You might find the examples in the book Deconstructing Penguins about running elementary children's parent/child book club discussions to be helpful.

JMO: for guiding through literature (or other subject requiring analysis through Socratic questions), at the outset, you really have to know the piece of literature very well yourself, and have a clear view of your goals, as initially students need a lot of gentle guidance and modeling.

You might also look at some Lit. programs that use Socratic questioning to help *you* help your students, such as Teaching the Classics, or a Lit. program designed around Socratic questioning, such as James Stobaugh (strongly Christian). And, not specifically Socratic questioning, but some literature guides have some really great discussion questions that you can start with and then guide/go deep with along with your student.

Warmest regards, Lori D.

Junior Great Books works on exactly that for literature.

It requires each student to develop an interpretive question about each selection.  By definition an interpretive question is not one of facts, but one of opinion based on evidence in the selection but drawing an inference from it more so than quoting it.

I tried to engender this with science but DD was just not interested enough to engage in that after about age 7 or 8.  I would ask her a question that made her think about the experiment she had just done or watched, and she would say she didn't know and would not try to figure it out.  I never really solved that.

I basically use the Socratic method, but not because I want to use it as a means of inquiry; it's just a natural way of talking to my children.  When they ask me a question I ask one in return, to get them to think about it (b/c often they can puzzle out the answer themselves). I mean, it's totally organic for me.

And the other thing is I just talk to my children.  A lot. I was public schooled, but my parents talked to us.  A LOT.  We had discussions about everything.  And this, more than anything else, is what makes kids ask meaningful questions.  They will not ask meaningful questions if the parents aren't asking them, too...you know?  It's just a way of life. 

• Like 1

While I tend to teach via Socratic dialogue, it really is more a matter of just asking a lot of open-ended questions and getting them to think about what they are answering and why. I don't know that Socratic methodology actually leads to kids asking more questions, though.

If I had to categorize an educational philosophy that encouraged asking questions it would be the higher levels of Bloom's taxonomy.

But, I honestly think trying to understand whys has more to do with our lifestyle than strictly school related. We are about as far removed from deliberate project-based learning as a family can get. I am 100% pro making my kids entertain themselves using their imaginations, playing, constructing, digging in the dirt, collecting bugs/leaves/sticks, etc. But it is self-governed, not mom governed.

Life is also wide open for deeper questions than project-based type ones. We live our lives challenging our kids to contemplate deep theological and philosophical ones.

My kids are pretty deep thinkers. Whether or not that is the same thing as the constant questioning you are seeking, I don't know. One of my adult children kept notebooks full of thought experiments when he was younger. Stacks of them with diagrams/drawings and ideas. He is a scientist at heart. Not all of my kids are wired that way. Some have deeper questions about the possible allegorical meaning of a word vs. why something operates a certain way. Still questioning, but in a much different sort of scenario.

• Like 1

For our family, a big part of fostering inquiry is sharing experiences and talking about them. A great starting point is reading aloud a good book together, fiction or non-fiction, then looking for similar things in our everyday life and how they might be similar or different than the book. Making those connections, talking about them, possibly doing some hands-on action (talk about it, write about it, observe it, touch it, hear it, taste it) to further understand and learn about the topic. Do some more reading about the topic of interest to gain more information, and so on. I find that when the topic can be experienced in the child's own life, the impact is much stronger and long-lasting than just a discussion. 

Edited by wintermom