Menu

Can brave writer stand on its own as a writing program?

sunshineslp

For early elementary? 2-4th grades or so? Also, do you add other LA to it, like grammar, spelling, etc? I've read that it's included in the program (looking at Jot It Down) but I was wondering if it's "enough" or just s small portion that people supplement.

Homeschooling mama of 4... Preschool 3, preschool 4, 1st, and 2nd:)

Can it - YES? Will it at your home - it all depends on how you use it.

If you look at Jot it Down, part of it is the weekly/monthly projects, but part of it the Brave Writer "lifestyle" - this includes poetry, narration and dictation in which spelling and grammar will be taught more naturally. Julie Bogart does recommend using some formal grammar, but doesn't recommend doing it every year. The projects are not enough for all of your LA, but I don't think you have to add a different program to it if you do the other things she recommends as well.

For those ages, I've done a lot of teaching grammar and spelling through copywork but without formal programs for most of my kids. My current 3rd grader is not a fluent reader yet so a lot of time is spent teaching reading to him.

• Like 1

We're still in the Jot it Down phase ourselves, but I do think it can be used as standalone. I would want to add in Quiver of Arrows or The Arrow, as appropriate - that's where the gentle grammar/mechanics is included.

We have supplemented. It's not that I think that BW *can't* be standalone, but rather that DD has had some specific interests or goals that worked better with some additional work. For example, she really wanted formal grammar (yes, she is an odd kid) so we used Michael Clay Thompson for that. She wants to take an online class that is aimed at older students and needs to amp up some paragraph writing skills, so we'll be tackling that specifically. I know some others find that their particular child needs more direct spelling instruction, so they add a spelling program.

My feeling with BW is that if you like the lifestyle and setup, start with that. Then if you find there's some piece that you need to address more specifically, you can find a supplement specifically for that.

Can it - YES? Will it at your home - it all depends on how you use it.

If you look at Jot it Down, part of it is the weekly/monthly projects, but part of it the Brave Writer "lifestyle" - this includes poetry, narration and dictation in which spelling and grammar will be taught more naturally. Julie Bogart does recommend using some formal grammar, but doesn't recommend doing it every year. The projects are not enough for all of your LA, but I don't think you have to add a different program to it if you do the other things she recommends as well.

For those ages, I've done a lot of teaching grammar and spelling through copywork but without formal programs for most of my kids. My current 3rd grader is not a fluent reader yet so a lot of time is spent teaching reading to him.

Yes, this.

In addition, definitely add in read-alouds and literature. With plenty of good books plus the Brave Writer lifestyle, your kids will be beautifully saturated. 

• Like 1

Sometimes we use it alone sometimes we don't. ;) One year we did some Jot it Down projects, some Arrows, and CAP Fable, along with other BW lifestyle components. Another year we did more other writing so no Arrows, but all the other. Next year I will have one using Quiver and JIT for writing, grammar, handwriting, and lit (will add phonics and spelling) --1st grade and my rising 4th grader will be doing Treasured Conversations (the first 2/3) along with Arrows, and some PW. (He will also do a separate grammar, spelling, and cursive practice). BW can be a full LA, or just writing, or just a supplement, or whatever you want it to be. ;)