Menu

Sonlight F/Bookshark 5 - do they really teach research skills?

kentuckymom

So I'm currently supervising my son's 5th grade "history fair" project on the Panama Canal. We read a book about it together and he printed out lots of information from websites, but he had absolutely no idea how to pick out the important information and synthesize it into a presentation board and a paper that will make a two minute oral presentation. I had to hold him by the hand the whole way, and I probably did a little more than the teacher envisioned a parent would do, but I decided it didn't matter. I didn't go against any of the official guidelines.

Anyway, this has made me realize that, while Squirrelboy has been assigned at least one "research project" a year from second grade on, he has never been systematically taught research skills. I'm leaning toward using either Sonlight or Bookshark for history/geography, so now I'm wondering if the F/5 programs actually teach research skills as they claim to do. He actually expressed a preference for American history, but I figure we can always do some free reading about American History to cover his interest. Personally, I feel like I've already studied enough American history and would rather learn about the eastern hemisphere anyway.

So, if you've used either of these programs, did your child learn to do research during the year? Did it carry over into future years? Thanks for your help!

Edited by kentuckymom