Menu

Right Start Math Games?

beth83

I think that sounds like an excellent idea for a break!  Some of the games are a lot of fun (like Corners), and some not so much, but there are lots to choose from.  There are solitaire games for a child to play alone (but you will likely have to teach the game first.)  The solitaire games weren't as fun as playing with someone, but they were better than continuing a math lesson!   The book and cards can be used for a variety of levels, so I think its a great purchase.  The cards have mostly held up well over the years.

I know you can buy books of math card games that use regular playing cards.  I've never used those to compare.  I'm very happy with the RS Games, though.

I love the RS games. Tons of variety, you can look up the skill you want to work on.

However a lot of them are variations of go fish and memory.

You can Google "the game that's worth thousand worksheets" or something like that and find out how to play variations of War. I really like that. We also roll 2 10-sided dice, highest total gets a counter, for a cardless War. So they add for each roll the count the counters at the end.

Most of the RS games focus on developing fluency with math facts. In theory, I like these games. In reality, my daughter immediately saw through them and thinks of most of them as torture - slow, painful math fact work when she could efficiently use other memorization techniques. She flat out refused to play any of the solitaire games and preferred to continue a lesson.

They aren't bad games, not at all! Just keep your audience in mind as to whether they might be a good fit.

I have had my eye on RS math games for a while - but haven't gotten it.  You might want to start with this free PDF that has tons of math games using just a regular deck of cards.  It is meant for elementary aged kids and gives an approximate grade range for when the game is appropriate - over 60 pages!

We have played a few of these and enjoyed it.  I should get it out again now that my two oldest can play together and enjoy that over the summer.  

• Like 1

As someone who has used and enjoy RS math games (albeit with questionable consistency), I think it is completely doable to just look up games online that can be played with a regular deck of cards. Most of the RS games my kids enjoy can be played with a normal deck of cards. If budget isn't a concern, the RS games + book are great.

I have had my eye on RS math games for a while - but haven't gotten it. You might want to start with this free PDF that has tons of math games using just a regular deck of cards. It is meant for elementary aged kids and gives an approximate grade range for when the game is appropriate - over 60 pages!

We have played a few of these and enjoyed it. I should get it out again now that my two oldest can play together and enjoy that over the summer.

Yes, this is more what I need. Plus, my bank account appreciates it!

As someone who has used and enjoy RS math games (albeit with questionable consistency), I think it is completely doable to just look up games online that can be played with a regular deck of cards. Most of the RS games my kids enjoy can be played with a normal deck of cards. If budget isn't a concern, the RS games + book are great.

I'm all about saving money. This is where I am leaning now, so thank you!

I have had my eye on RS math games for a while - but haven't gotten it.  You might want to start with this free PDF that has tons of math games using just a regular deck of cards.  It is meant for elementary aged kids and gives an approximate grade range for when the game is appropriate - over 60 pages!

We have played a few of these and enjoyed it.  I should get it out again now that my two oldest can play together and enjoy that over the summer.  

This looks great! Thanks! I wish you had posted it back when *I* asked about math games a few months ago... ;)