Menu

Girl Scout Cookie Rant (JAWM)

Mergath

I hate selling Girl Scout cookies. Hate it. With a passion. Everyone we know either already has a Girl Scout or doesn't eat sugar. I begged and pleaded to be allowed to make a donation to the troop instead of selling, but no, not allowed. Now the cookie mom is freaking out at me because dd and I didn't sell enough. We helped out multiple times at the troop cookie booth, but people around here are pretty health-conscious, and unsurprisingly most people don't want to pay $4 for a small package of mediocre cookies that utilize slave-harvested chocolate.

This woman ordered literally hundreds of boxes of cookies per girl, completely ignored everyone's estimates on how many we thought we could sell, and now is in an absolute rage that we couldn't sell them all. Gee, you think? I only told her half a dozen times beforehand that we couldn't. Now she's trying to tell me that our family will be financially responsible for the cookies that didn't get sold. Yeah, I don't think so.

Thanks for letting me rant. If I didn't do it here I'd end up doing it at tonight's umpteenth cookie booth and that would be bad.

• Like 26

It also doesn't help that there are literally around fifteen different troops in this smallish rural area all trying to sell cookies. It's just ridiculous. The area is saturated and then some. I suppose next year they'll try to tell us that we have to drive to other towns and sell there, too. Next year we're doing 4H instead.

• Like 12

I hated it, too. Luckily my daughter's troop wasn't pushy.

You could buy some of the cookies yourself and think of that as your donation?

We already did. There are still hundreds and hundreds of packages left for the troop as a whole. Today was supposed to be the last day for cookie sales.

I hate selling Girl Scout cookies. Hate it. With a passion. Everyone we know either already has a Girl Scout or doesn't eat sugar. I begged and pleaded to be allowed to make a donation to the troop instead of selling, but no, not allowed. Now the cookie mom is freaking out at me because dd and I didn't sell enough. We helped out multiple times at the troop cookie booth, but people around here are pretty health-conscious, and unsurprisingly most people don't want to pay $4 for a small package of mediocre cookies that utilize slave-harvested chocolate.

This woman ordered literally hundreds of boxes of cookies per girl, completely ignored everyone's estimates on how many we thought we could sell, and now is in an absolute rage that we couldn't sell them all. Gee, you think? I only told her half a dozen times beforehand that we couldn't. Now she's trying to tell me that our family will be financially responsible for the cookies that didn't get sold. Yeah, I don't think so.

Thanks for letting me rant. If I didn't do it here I'd end up doing it at tonight's umpteenth cookie booth and that would be bad.

Not if you didn't sign for them.

Additionally, the SU cookie cupboard and the cookie manager have probably been checking in with cookie moms to see if their cookies are moving, do they need help, can a return be finagled, etc. My co-leader is our SU cookie cupboard and she has been watching the troops for days to see who could be in trouble. Our area has been hit hard by bronchitis and many, many troops have had to return/exchange/ trade physical boxes for TGOC. The Cookie cupboard and managers can look at everyone's ebudde accounts and see who is sitting on cookies. (of course, if you have poorly-performing volunteers in those roles, that may not have happened).

All that to say, if she has over-ordered cookies and then resisited admitting she needs help moving them, that's entirely on her.

• Like 13

We already did. There are still hundreds and hundreds of packages left for the troop as a whole. Today was supposed to be the last day for cookie sales.

Well that sucks, but at least if its the last day then you don't have worry about it anymore...

until next year  ;)

And I would not pay for the extra boxes that were ordered.

We quit Girl Scouts over this issue. The whole, entire second half of the year revolved around those doggone cookies. The most enthusiastic kid's mom was always cookie mom, and could never understand that not everyone was a budding sales sensation. 4-H is much better for us.

• Like 6

That's frustrating. My girls are in a different organization and they allowed us to bypass fundraising and make donations to the troop. Fundraising of any kind makes me feel weird. I didn't know you had to sell cookies rather than make a donation or support in other ways. I wouldn't be happy about that at all.

I despise GS cookies and BSA popcorn, and I hate selling in general. Only thing worse is delivering cookies. Last year dd sold a small number, as usual, maybe 10 boxes. I told her to write thank you notes and put the cookies in her room, as they were taking up space in my small kitchen. Totally forgot about them. So this year I ordered -- and paid for myself -- the same boxes so we will deliver a year late, but fresh. It's crazy!

But, at least in our council, cookies are ordered after the so called door to door selling is done.

I do a TON of other stuff for scouts, so it sort of evens out. I spent a fair amount of time last week writing a nice letter to nominate our cookie mom for a council award. I will go to the award dinner and applaud loudly.

Some people just love cookie sales. But I think GS should let the rest of us live in peace.

Our Boy Scout troop lets you pay your dues by selling popcorn. I just pay the dues. When Ds was a Cub Scout, I bought some popcorn, stale and processed. So we put some out for the squirrels. Chocolate popcorn. I had no idea it would make the squirrels hyper. They were jumping straight up into the air! (I like animals, so I did not do that again.)

ETA

Some years I have bought small amounts of cookies and popcorn and then thrown the stuff out.

Edited by Alessandra
  • Like 3

Wow. I am a troop leader and didn't require anyone to sell. (One girl sold none...that's fine. Some sold 14 or 16 boxes...also fine) The cookie mom should have done a better job estimating because the troop will be responsible for paying for the ones that aren't sold. An expensive mistake, but not one you are responsible to fix!  I was super conservative with what our troop ordered because I was scared to end up with extras.

Edited by ebrindam
  • Like 15

The boxes were $5 here, so $4 is bargain.   ;)  My coworkers and I bought a few boxes from some kids who knocked on the door. I think we all ate two, maybe three each over a very few short days.  (I count carbs, but I made an exception here lol )  I don't understand how people can't eat a thin mint or s'more once a year. That is willpower I do not have!

I'd be angry as well.  That's a huge waste of money. 

Edited by LibraryLover

You can't do a buy out?  That is unacceptable.  How much does your troop get per box sold?

I don't sell scout popcorn anymore.  We did for 4-5 years and I hated every single minute.  But we can do a buy out.  $100 per boy is the buyout, or sell $300 per boy.  

• Like 2

For starters, food allergies.

I wish I had an allergy to S'mores. 

(Of course allergies. I don't mean to be snarky or insensitive. I only mean that I love S'mores and any combo of coconut, chocolate, & caramel, and I am surprised that health conscious people (of which I am one), and without allergies to GSC  can resist one or two once a year. I think the box is only has about 12 cookies. Put that out near the coffee at work, and they it will disappear in short order. )

I didn't realize, however, that there are particular human rights issues related to specifically to GSC.  I will have to check that out. 

Edited by LibraryLover
  • Like 1

Since we're ranting, I personally think the selling of cookies (or whatever, but especially in this case the cookies) is a terrible idea all around.  We coudn't do it for moral reasons (I can't facilitate someone's profiting off the suffering of the innocent - in this case, factory farmed animals) but it also just seems like a mismatch for the organization.  Why don't the kids fundraise by learning a valuable skill (that is to say, a skill people will pay $ for) and then develop ways in the community to use that skill?  Seems like a better lesson (instead of just selling something, you learn to make or do something) and more meaningful for the kids anyway.

So that is my take on it.

I *hate* fundraisers anyway, though.  I wish organizations would just send home a letter saying, hey, this activity actually costs $100 more per year than we charged you, please pay us or drop out.

• Like 18

We are in AHG and we sell candles and cookies in November for delivery in December. We can opt out by paying 150 though. I think 250 for a family if they have more than one girl in the troop. 

I have not been asked to buy any GS cookies or see any cookie booths outside stores.

I can't stand the idea of putting those ingredients into myself and especially my kids. Maybe when they started the tradition it somehow made sense (When was it started historically?), but nowadays?

The main reasons we didn't even look deeper into GS for our girls was those pesky cookie fundraisers. And I don't know a single GS mom who's happy with them. Why there's no change?

• Like 1

My son's fiance's son had a fundraiser last year. I was able to buy a beach bag, trivets, Meghan a new lunch bag with sandwich bags and snack holders and a water bottle, a cinch sack for the pool. What a great fundraiser! This past year they switched to a junky fundraiser. :(

I actually prefer edible fundraisers to selling/ buying stuff that will just clutter up my house or end up donated to the church rummage sale.

The sounds to me like a problem with the troop management and an inexperienced cookie mom. My DD is long past GS age, but she was an active member for 11 yrs. Never once we girls required to take orders or have a quota, but everyone was required to help out in some way with the sale. That could be selling at a cookie booth or even helping with the unboxing and sorting. When we had left over cookies, the parents were offered the chance to purchase, but we're never required to do so.

• Like 1

so- she's upset because she doesn't listen to advice  from the actual people in the trenches about how many boxes people will buy. . . . . dh has a quip for that.  "the crime is its own punishment".

was she looking at how much money the troop would get?  I can see the council would be happier with cookie sales vs a donation (they get a cut of the sales).

sounds like if she feels so strongly - she can buy lots of cookies and give them as gifts - or try and sell them herself.  but,  I'm unsympathetic that way . . . . and I'd show her my hand,  she can talk to that.

• Like 3

Since we're ranting, I personally think the selling of cookies (or whatever, but especially in this case the cookies) is a terrible idea all around. We coudn't do it for moral reasons (I can't facilitate someone's profiting off the suffering of the innocent - in this case, factory farmed animals) but it also just seems like a mismatch for the organization. Why don't the kids fundraise by learning a valuable skill (that is to say, a skill people will pay $ for) and then develop ways in the community to use that skill? Seems like a better lesson (instead of just selling something, you learn to make or do something) and more meaningful for the kids anyway.

So that is my take on it.

I *hate* fundraisers anyway, though. I wish organizations would just send home a letter saying, hey, this activity actually costs $100 more per year than we charged you, please pay us or drop out.

Do you have any links for the factory animals? Or just stuff you've heard. Edited by Alessandra

Wow! I'm horrified to hear of the pressure your troop is putting on girls and families. I don't know anyone who doesn't buy GSC. I literally knock on the doors of GS's every year to find one to buy from lol. I'm sorry you are in a super-saturated area (I'm not) and that your cookie person or troop leader has done such a lousy job. You are not personally responsible and you do not have to pay, however your troop does and that sucks.

• Like 1

Ingredients for those carmel ones, the Samoas: http://www.littlebrowniebakers.com/products/samoas/

(includes milk)

ingredients for Trios (the gluten free ones, I think): http://www.abcsmartcookies.com/trios-girl-scout-cookies

(includes milk and eggs)

Most of them have milk, that one has eggs.

Here is a google image search for "factory farm eggs": https://www.google.com/search?q=factory+farm+eggs&espv=2&biw=1280&bih=876&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwi8vJipndDLAhVI9GMKHbZgBgkQ_AUIBigB

Here is one for "factory farmed dairy": https://www.google.com/search?q=factory+farm+dairy&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjFy6amndDLAhXILmMKHQvnB44Q_AUIBygB&biw=1280&bih=876

Obviously you'll have to edit out what is legit or not, but the photos generally speak for themselves - factory farmed animals live, by definition, in factories.

The best books to read are, imo, "Eating Animals" (though the writer is a hardcore vegan, and kind of promotes that - I am not a vegan but it is otherwise pretty effective writing and has some research info) and "The Omnivore's Dilemma".  I have heard that Food, Inc. is a good movie but have not seen it.

• Like 2

I'm a troop leader too and while we ask the girls to sell 100 boxes, there is no consequence to not making that goal. We live in a very saturated area as well, so I understand that when everyone has bought, there is no one else to sell to. We also intentionally don't talk about cookies in our meetings after our little troop kick off. We just get on with earning badges and occasionally, Journeys.

Can you TCM put them up on the cookie cupboard site for other troops to get from you instead of the cupboard itself? That would be her best option at this point, I think. Is she new? I know our Council is really pushing the PGA and ordering a lot in the initial order so if you are inexperienced it's easy to get the troop in trouble.

But if you didn't personally sign for the cookies, you are not responsible, the troop is. Which stinks for the girls because they'll lose out on troop money. I'm sorry that you're dealing with this and that she's become like this. Is there another troop you could switch your daughter to instead of leaving altogether?

While I like GS cookies, I *never* buy them because the cost is outrageous.  I don't care that it's a fundraiser.

Solidarity, sister. I feel the same way about the Cub Scout popcorn sale! At least our pack does allow for a buy-out option. Thank goodness -- we could never sell $400 per scout minimum (we have two scouts in our household).

I made the mistake ONE year of buying Scouts popcorn. It was $$$, and it was absolutely the worst popcorn I've ever eaten in my life.

By sheer luck, my kids have never had activities with required fundraisers.  That was definitely a good thing.

Ingredients for those carmel ones, the Samoas: http://www.littlebrowniebakers.com/products/samoas/

(includes milk)

ingredients for Trios (the gluten free ones, I think): http://www.abcsmartcookies.com/trios-girl-scout-cookies

(includes milk and eggs)

Here is a google image search for "factory farm eggs": https://www.google.com/search?q=factory+farm+eggs&espv=2&biw=1280&bih=876&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwi8vJipndDLAhVI9GMKHbZgBgkQ_AUIBigB

Here is one for "factory farmed dairy": https://www.google.com/search?q=factory+farm+dairy&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjFy6amndDLAhXILmMKHQvnB44Q_AUIBygB&biw=1280&bih=876

Obviously you'll have to edit out what is legit or not, but the photos generally speak for themselves - factory farmed animals live, by definition, in factories.

The best books to read are, imo, "Eating Animals" (though the writer is a hardcore vegan, and kind of promotes that - I am not a vegan but it is otherwise pretty effective writing and has some research info) and "The Omnivore's Dilemma". I have heard that Food, Inc. is a good movie but have not seen it.

Food Inc is frightening. We showed it to our troop as part of the Sow What journey. I just never made the connection between GS cookies and factory farms.

Btw, a good book is David Kirby's Animal Factory. Kirby wrote a best seller about the orcas at Sea World.

And a documentary I liked when it came out is Frederick Wiseman's on a slaughterhouse. I think it is called meat. I was actually a vegetarian for almost a decade after seeing this....

But through OTM the cookies are still the troop's responsibility. OTM money goes to buy new cookies direct from the baker, it doesn't take care of cookies currently signed out to the troop, at least in my area.

That is true. it only solves the issue of not wanting to hawk cookies not the cookie mom's mismanagment.

• Like 1

Ingredients for those carmel ones, the Samoas: http://www.littlebrowniebakers.com/products/samoas/

(includes milk)

ingredients for Trios (the gluten free ones, I think): http://www.abcsmartcookies.com/trios-girl-scout-cookies

(includes milk and eggs)

Here is a google image search for "factory farm eggs": https://www.google.com/search?q=factory+farm+eggs&espv=2&biw=1280&bih=876&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwi8vJipndDLAhVI9GMKHbZgBgkQ_AUIBigB

Here is one for "factory farmed dairy": https://www.google.com/search?q=factory+farm+dairy&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjFy6amndDLAhXILmMKHQvnB44Q_AUIBygB&biw=1280&bih=876

The best books to read are, imo, "Eating Animals" (though the writer is a hardcore vegan, and kind of promotes that - I am not a vegan but it is otherwise pretty effective writing and has some research info) and "The Omnivore's Dilemma".  I have heard that Food, Inc. is a good movie but have not seen it.

This is  an 'any processed food' and 'any packaged cookie' thing.

Not saying you're wrong, I respect your stance, just want to be clear this isn't a Girl Scout-specific thing.

• Like 11

This is  an 'any processed food' and 'any packaged cookie' thing.

Not saying you're wrong, I respect your stance, just want to be clear this isn't a Girl Scout-specific thing.

Yes, completely.  The general rule of thumb is that unless it is noted otherwise, your processed food with milk or egg (or gelatin, often) ingredients has factory-farmed animal products in it.

Really limits our grocery purchases :(

The girl scouts aren't any worse than anything else in this regard but you'd think that (being such a big organization, esp., and relatively inclusive) they'd find something to hawk that all members could morally participate in.

The best fundraiser (the only good one, in fact) my kids ever brought home from public school was, ironically, trash bags.  Those are the best trash bags ever.  They don't sell them anywhere here in CO, so after we moved we ordered them from the original company - their minimum order was 6 rolls, which I think will last us a year or two :)

• Like 1

And the worst part  for me (who knew I felt so strongly about fundraisers?) was always the pressure they put on the kids.  We didn't let DD10 participate in one in 2nd grade where the kids had to bring back a card filled out with 3 of their family/friends' names, addresses, phone numbers and email addresses so that the company (I think Time Magazine?) could spam the family/friends.  She came home upset because all the other kids, who brought the cards back, got a free stuffed penguin.

!!!!!!

• Like 1

This is absolutely ridiculous and one of the reasons why my daughter quit scouts. The cookies are not worth what they are charging at all, and people know this.

• Like 1

I know troops that sell a minimum amount of cookies but then do something else as their real fundraiser. They sell cookies because the Council requires it if they want to do something else to earn money. But the big reason Councils are concerned about cookie sales is that they get a portion of the proceeds to fund itself--the membership fee goes entirely to GSUSA.

• Like 4