Menu

Those considering Ancient Greek might find this of interest ...

My teen is taking an out of the home course in Ancient Greek using the text Thrasymachus by Peckett and Munday (initially published in 1965; published by Bristol Classical Press in 1984 and reprinted in 1990) and is enjoying it very much.

In doing some searching (for the purpose of writing a course description), I stumbled upon the following site which might be of interest to others.

ANCIENT GREEK WITH Thrasymachus

Regards,

Kareni

• 1 year later...
My teen is taking an out of the home course in Ancient Greek using the text Thrasymachus by Peckett and Munday (initially published in 1965; published by Bristol Classical Press in 1984 and reprinted in 1990) and is enjoying it very much.

In doing some searching (for the purpose of writing a course description), I stumbled upon the following site which might be of interest to others.

ANCIENT GREEK WITH Thrasymachus

Regards,

Kareni

Thanks! I will check it out.

... both for modern Greek and for arxaia...

Ester Maria,

Thank you for the link. I'm unfamiliar with the term 'arxaia'. Is this the Greek word then for Ancient Greek? Does it refer to all of the forms (i.e., Koine, Attic) or to one in particular?

Regards,

Kareni

Thank you for the link. I'm unfamiliar with the term 'arxaia'. Is this the Greek word then for Ancient Greek? Does it refer to all of the forms (i.e., Koine, Attic) or to one in particular?

Yes, I'm sorry, I wrote it almost automatically.

Basically "classical" Greek is referred to as αρχαία (wow, the Greek keyboard is working :D) by Greeks. There are various stages of the development of the Greek language, as you're probably aware, but the main distinction would be arxaia / nea (ancient/new), with all kinds of NT, Byzantine, Katharevousa thrown in between.

Greek textbooks for teaching arxaia are often plain excellent. I base a lot of our Greek studies on them, even though we're not active modern Greek speakers (girls don't know it at all, I've studied it, but currently can only read passively) - all you need are texts from there, see how they're commented, and see their sequences. Those materials are often excellent supplements, or even excellent as main materials to study Greek.